1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

Personality and clothing are not necessarily linked. I would be the same person if I just wore jeans. I'm talking about full eg, or full Rick etc. I would be too self conscious to dress the way I do if I were dating. I would definitely tone it down to more basic things. I think more universally appealing.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I think they are bonded cotton (some kind of water repellent elastine coating iirc) but the Hancock VA trenches and rain coats look pretty great. I generally don't like the style but if I was going to buy a raincoat it would probably be one of these:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

25 people like this.
  4. zissou

zissou Well-Known Member

Yes, sometimes wearing Mackintosh is like wrapping myself in a plastic bag on a rainy day. Ventile isn't too much better.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Whatever it is that Norwegian Rain uses is pretty breathable. I have never had an issue of being all sweating inside wearing my Rive Gauche, and my wife wears her Raincho like a regular jacket.

1 person likes this.
  6. LA Guy

Personality and clothing ARE linked, insofar as clothing is a signifier of you interact with your environment, what cultural groups you are in or aspire to be in, your consumer values, and the list goes on. Obviously, your clothing doesn't say everything about your personality, but it's certainly not insignificant, and is probably important compared to a lot of other consumer choices, especially given that clothing is something you care about.

Right now, do you wear full Engineered Garments (or full Edward Green?) or full Rick?

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

@ghostface via No Man Walks Alone's tumblr

Quote:

8. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

The key is to lock a partner down while you are still not interested in/not knowledgeable about "Fashun" but are still "stylish in a basic JCrew" kind of way. That way, once you start to get interested in more interesting pieces, your partner is much more likely to just indulge your hobby. Speaking from experience as my fiance these days just kind of gently mocks me in a good natured way for wearing big Yohji pants and baroque Dries prints

2 people like this.
  9. LA Guy

So, increased interest in fashion is in the same category as growing older and crankier.

10. happyriverz

happyriverz Well-Known Member

For me, in a way, yes. Mostly because as I get older, I just don't care as much about what other people think. So I see something that resonates with me, I'll wear it, and if other people think that it looks absurd, screw it.

11. LA Guy

Not just "in a way". but exactly in the same way, then.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  12. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

This article and the ensuing discussion is funny but let's parse what you're supposed to get out of it (Fuumawisdom edition-tm):

• Even women in fashion tend to apply relatively mainstream criterias about gender roles when it comes to dressing (or so they say). Cause they know the topic they'll have developped a style taxonomy and a list of precise exclusions.
    • Make no mistake, they see normal (badly dressed) dude and they're not into it either.
    • A certain surface coherence between how you present yourself (lifestyle) and how you dress is appreciated, no one likes a poseur even though authenticity is an absurd concept.
    • No one here gives a damn because we're clothing enthousiasts. With that being said people tend to react positively when you have passions and present them in a compelling way.
    • Girls I know have made a list of what I and other guys are not supposed to wear, even busy people tend to free time when it is to be spent bitching.
    • LAGuy dresses like an asian cowboy on a kid's scooter and his wive forgives him, he should def stop for some flowers today and maybe the day after.:hide:
    • Nothing in that list makes much sense, you shouldn't trust people on the internutz

21 people like this.
  13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Wow, someone made wooden fedoras

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently to match their wooden bow ties

[​IMG]

#menstyle #menwithstyle #style #sprezzatura #dapper #sartorial #gents #suitup

8 people like this.
  14. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that

25 people like this.
  15. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

I wear full eg now. If I were dating I would definitely wear full APC or something inoffensive like that. It's like showing up for a date in an old lancia Delta vs. a sensible 3 series

16. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

You already know what it is
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I really need more large pants​

10 people like this.
  17. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Those wooden fedoras omg. That's some onion level shit right there. What will the next big wooden accessory be?

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

19. basil rathbone

We Dutch have been waiting for this moment a very long time. Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

9 people like this.
  20. basil rathbone

3 people like this.