1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

What a crushing brutal loss :(

2. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Have you tried squarespace?

3. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like users can have their own individual accounts on sites created there

After googling around for a bit it seems like I will have to learn real programming if I want to make my idea come true

ugh [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Those are for creating your own brand websites. What you are trying to create is a community platform, which is much more complicated. You will either need to license and build a forum, or some other similar platform, and jury rig it for your own needs, or you'll need to build your own platform. So, my questions are, what will differentiate you from the many other platforms doing this, or the niche platforms doing this, and what is your minimal viable product - i.e. the minimum feature set needed for adoption, without extraneous features that cost more than they are worth?

5. kindofyoung

Yeah the fact that it's way more complicated than what I originally thought is something I quickly realized hah.

Features I'd wish for would be:
    - Individual accounts with the option of uploading and tagging pictures
    - A front page where pics or certain tags could be highlighted based on popularity/comments/mods selection
    - Profile pages that you can share via unique url that anyone can visit
    - Search function available for anyone regardless if you have an account or not (for both user accounts and tags)

Fully aware that the above pretty much describes a shitton of websites (instagram for example), but I believe I know of a certain aspect I could focus on for which there are currently no real alternatives with a large target audience.
    (It's the kind of idea that I'm genuinely surprised hasn't already been done)

So, not looking to reinvent the wheel, far from it, I've just got a "new" idea for how to use it.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Having gone through this more than a few times now, I have to say that MANY things have been tried. That if you have an idea, the likelihood that no one at all has tried the idea, ever, is remote. You probably just have not looked hard enough.

Spend some time trying to find the same, over very similar implementation, and then figure out their level of success or lack thereof, and try to figure out why it failed, and whether you can avoid the same issues. Those might be technical, personnel, marketing, lack of funding, implementation, or it might just be a bad idea.

If you want to PM with some details, I might be able to tell you a bit more. Just curious. Trust me, I don't have time to steal your idea. A bunch of our initiatives are on the backburner just because of my own time constraints. If it's good enough, I could even be convinced to seed your project, if I can be convinced that you are the right person/have the right people, to do this.

7. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was no fun. I stopped watching after the 3rd quarter. Everytime it looked like Cincy was building momentum some freak play or penalty (or lack thereof) came along and killed them.

Didn't help that your pro bowl caliber starting QB watched the game from the sidelines.

8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

:( :( :(

Crushing and brutal were the two adjectives I would use to describe that. Rough. The beginning of the season (and before the season for the Jackets) I thought this could be the year for my Buckeyes, the Blue Jackets and the Bengals. Ohio State had a great season, but disappointing loss for the Bengals and terrible season all around for the Jackets, not to mention the loss of one of my favorite players to trade.

9. basil rathbone

Pretty good trade though, if you're referring to Johansen. Jones is great already and will only get better.

10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Yeah I think so too. Jones is very good, and we need defense. Badly. But it hurts just because we were a young team the last couple years with a bright and promising future, and it feels like we're compromising that just to salvage what's left of this season (even though, yes, Jones will be a great addition to the team). Just the general sentiment. Plus I've met Ryan around town a couple times and he, like Saad, genuinely seemed to like Columbus as a city and the team.

1 person likes this.
  11. basil rathbone

Sounds kinda like pinterest? Throw the project up on Upwork and see what proposals come in before you invest time into learning to code/program. That shit is hard.

12. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

couldn't you do this with wordpress?

13. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

@nicelynice uh oh this game isn't look good for you.

14. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

i trust my boy russell wilson. he carried me through the last few weeks of fantasy

15. kindofyoung

Yeah it'd definitely be similar to both instagram and pinterest. Upwork seems like a good idea for something like this, thanks for the tip

Possibly, I've mostly seen wordpress used for blogs but might be ways to incorporate memberships on there

16. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

I won my league :slayer: first year playing!

2 people like this.
  17. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

I can't take this!!! I don't even hate the vikes, AP is a moron but teddy seems like a nice boy.

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Damn. I'm stuck with a $200 store credit in blue owl. Is this something that I can put in the marketplace and someone might buy it for $180 or whatever. Not trying to sell it here in the thread, but wondering what my options are.

19. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

@nicelynice, the hawks survived lol

20. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

that game

that gamee

The Ace Ventura ending

Russell Wilson bullshit

Kam taking, Kam giving away

After last year's postseason finishes against GB and NE I just can't take it anymore

Now I get to wake up at 3 AM against next Monday...

2 people like this.