1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate. If you don't like them, don't use them. Seems like they're pretty transparent about offering the lowest possible prices by making everything a la carte. Of course their service sucks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I pretty much avoid anything below star alliance etc., if you have checked luggage, want to be able to cancel etc the difference is often times completely gone and with nicer carriers you get better seats, more legroom and free drinks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Such is the unique paradigm that is the airline industry - nobody wants to pay for it, but everybody wants to complain how bad it is.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I think that the terrible service is a big part of the issue. It's one thing to make everything a la carte, it's another to do things so cheaply that the flight is more stressful than a Hong Kong Bus during rush hour.

Me, I never use them. I find flying annoying and stressful enough that I'll fok over a few hundred to not have to deal with additional bullshit.

5. LA Guy

http://www.styleforum.net/t/269577/the-official-new-york-shopping-dining-thread/0_50

We have a "cities" focus this year, and will be getting NYC in a google map soon, along with a comprehensive list of shops, a section for user store reviews and forum threads, and editorial store suggestions and recommendations. @Synthese and I are working on implemetation and a maintencance schedule for the year We already have San Francisco, and plan to expand to include Tokyo, Paris, and London, and then go on from there.

You want to do something for your city? Email me at styleforum.net@gmail.com

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Maybe Bay Area instead of just SF? Although there's certainly plenty to do in SF alone.

Also, didn't Ryan Air propose standing sections for flights?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

And pay per use toilets.

8. malcb33

malcb33 Well-Known Member

Having work in the industry, this is completely spot on. It's amazing to see what lengths people will go to save just $1 dollar and then complain bitterly that the service isn't up to their standards.

This is so true. The airline industry openly advertises false information and everyone who thinks they are an "experienced traveler/ expert" gets sucked right in. if you actually know how the system works (or have some who know) you can take advantage and have great service and go to amazing places at a reasonable price.

9. Biggskip

This article pretty much confirms what you're talking about. About three paragraphs in you think this guy is aweome. Then you realize that often never leaves the airport and probably has some sort of OCD regarding the sensation of flight.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/ben-schlappig-airlines-fly-free-20150720

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

That NY thread is dead. Got nothing on the LA thread.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

CB2 x hill side rug is nice, but I don't know if it's $1000 nice. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  12. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Personally I've never had an issue with Ryan air. Brought a filson duffle on board way oversized so many times but they never check duffles so you don't have a problem. Haven't used them in 4 years or so though so maybe it's worse now. All recent trips have ended up flying normal airlines as cost was pretty much same as easyjet / Ryanair. Also feel service is very dependent on country, my expectations are quite different depending on where I am.

On a fashion related note, went around union square a few days ago, was a bit surprised how nice all SAs were. Well except for Barneys but Barneys has always sucked. Mens shoes had 6 different people waiting for help, nobody was even in section for ~10 minutes.

13. LA Guy

I guess that, as in many things, I'm the exception. I suppose that to some, that makes me a sucker, but I can't be bothered to spend very much time trying to save $50 on a plane ticket, or to try to figure out how to score an upgrade. The only time I scour is when the listed prices are clearly insane ($3K for a domestic flight, 2 stops, economy? No way) or the itineraries are nutso (29 hours and 3 stops to get from the west coast to Europe). I've usually gotten pretty decent service just by being nice and on time. I have to admit that no flight attendant has ever pushed me into an empty row for a handjob, nor have I ever gotten a free bottle of Dom.

Am I missing out on something that is amazing? Real question. I've read Flyertalk, and honestly, I guess that it's just not my hobby. I see flying as a necessary evil to be endured. Occasionally, I'll check Flyertalk just to see what seat to choose, but otherwise, I can't be bothered to care to much. That dudes who flies all the time, that sounds like hell.

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

So wait, there is a secret to flying? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

15. LA Guy

I'm sure that I have been. Meh.

16. LA Guy

Thought I'd throw this in here for all you miscreants:

As some of you may know, a contingent of the Styleforum team to going to be in Paris (January 19-26) this winter. @Synthese and I, as well as Jen (my wife and the person who keeps my ideas semi-sane) and our photographer, Eric, will be doing store features and reviews, going to all the tradeshows our little brains will allow without explosion, as well as private show room visits. We'll also have a guy who can actually take real photographs (wow), as well as a fluent French speaker (Jasper) as well as a guy who spent his childhood speaking French for much of the day (moi) but who is really rusty, and whose passable French will probably improve as the week progresses.

I'd love to hear from you guys. is there a store you'd be really interested in seeing the insides of, any particular brand you'd like us to visit, any specific project you'd like turn into a GMTO, any rerelease you'd jump on like a fat kid on chips, because you missed that excellent piece and are now beating yourself over with reverse buyer's remorse?

Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  17. Biggskip

If you haven't been following Mister Mort on Instagram (his posts consist of interesting outfits on the streets of NYC or things that are very Jewish), he's in Aspen this week. It's basically an endless stream of:
    <P>
    <P>
    <P>
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Biggskip

The short answer is probably not. The thing that most people fail to consider is the money value of time (see what I did there, finance majors). If you want to want to spend endless hours searching for mispriced flights or determining which frequent flier program will generate the highest yield, that's fine. But that come at the expense of the time you spent not being spent on something else, presumably browsing SF.

Probably the thing I've learned the most from having children is the premium you learn to put on free time. It's the most precious resource I know.

5 people like this.
  19. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

Aspen is the worst place on earth. Fok should fly jet out so he can spew enough hate to power a small country

1 person likes this.
  20. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

I went to Aspen for a weekend when I lived in Denver. Well, I went to the hot springs like an hour away and we decided to go check out Aspen. It sucked. I got talked in to going again around Christmas in 2013 because "it's amazing at Christmas!", it wasn't, at all.