1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses Preferences

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sunman42000, May 9, 2010.

1. sunman42000

sunman42000 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I want to pick up some Randolph Engineering Sunglasses, but i'm between a few things... Gold or Bright Chrome Frame (these seem like the two obvious options) and then... Standard Skull Temples or Bayonette Temples? What would you get? Photo below of the temple options. Surprised not to see much posted on these - have been wanting them for a few years, and am wondering what the 'standard' would be for SF guys =) [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Gold - Skull - AGX

3. Kurtz

Kurtz Well-Known Member

Gold - Skull - AGX

+1

4. sunman42000

sunman42000 Well-Known Member

I've gotten a handful of PM's with inquiries about Randolph.

By most accounts, they're much better in terms of quality than Ray Ban. They are the 'official' sunglasses issued by the Department of Defense for the air force, and have been for 20+ years. I'm excited to get a pair, so curious what you all think i should get.

Post a message after voting to keep this up top!

5. lofigeek

lofigeek Well-Known Member

Any pics out there of the cable style temples being worn?

I can't keep sunglasses on my face for the life of me.

If it didn't look too ridiculous I would definitely rock those.

6. le.gentleman

le.gentleman Well-Known Member

Whether you go with gold or chrome does not really matter, as long as you get the polarized lenses.
    Although they cost a few dollars more, I definitely do not want to miss my polarized lenses on my Sportsman sunglasses, Not to long ago I wrote a review about these Randolph Engineering Sunglasses.
    They are of very high quality and come with a repair kit, with screws, nosepads and a little screwdriver. So in case a screw get loose, you can just take care of it yourself without having to visit your optician.

7. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

I've gotten a handful of PM's with inquiries about Randolph.

By most accounts, they're much better in terms of quality than Ray Ban. They are the 'official' sunglasses issued by the Department of Defense for the air force, and have been for 20+ years. I'm excited to get a pair, so curious what you all think i should get.

Post a message after voting to keep this up top!

They are not better quality sunglasses than Rayban. They are sturdy working glasses for a good price.

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

They are not better quality sunglasses than Rayban. They are sturdy working glasses for a good price.

+1

9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Randolph lenses and frames are a lot sturdier than Luxotica glasses

10. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These are the ones I have. They're from the Untouchables line. The "Ad Man". I take them travelling and they have stood up to some serious beatings and are still going strong.

11. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Randolph lenses and frames are a lot sturdier than Luxotica glasses

mathFAIL & englishFAIL. You want working glasses, buy the Randolphs. You want good looking glasses, buy the Luxotticas. My assumption is that people want glasses that look good, not functional.

12. dgr2102

dgr2102 Active Member

hey there,

style-wise, the don-draper look is really cool, and the randolphs achieve this look. i'd recommend the aviator, bayonet temples, green agx glass (though i think draper has the grey lenses). Also note the size: draper's are pretty small relative to his face. I'd guess that he has the 52mm. I have a smaller face, so i got the 50mm. You'd think it's too small, but it looks really cool: in my opinion, square-frame glasses that are too large look childish.

hope that helps

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

mathFAIL & englishFAIL. You want working glasses, buy the Randolphs. You want good looking glasses, buy the Luxotticas. My assumption is that people want glasses that look good, not functional.

Assumption fail. I want them to look good but I won't sacrifice quality and function purely for look/fashion.

14. dgr2102

dgr2102 Active Member

just to add: quality wise, they are fantastic; as mentioned earlier, they come with a repair kit as well. I think that they are far sturdier and well-made than ray-bans (i have the 3025 and the RE aviator just feels better). also, style-wise they are very unique: the square frame really stands out. I'm a college kid (so am around people with no style at all), and people comment often on the RE aviators. definitely recommended.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

trainofthoughtFAIL. We're talking about QUALITY here, not aesthetics. For the record, I think the classic Randolph aviator looks great.

16. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of polarized P3s, chrome, skull.

17. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

Own the Crew Chiefs in Bayonette - great sunglasses.

18. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

FWIW I have both Raybans and RE's, and the RE's are FAR sturdier, especially the lenses.

Also, I just double-checked mine and they are AGX. They are the exact style that Draper wears.

19. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

I don't really believe there is much of a quality difference between Ray-Ban and RE. However, the cost differential. coupled with the absence of the obnoxious "Ray-Ban" logo on the lens, make me prefer the REs.

20. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Gold - Skull - AGX

+1

+2 that's the pair I have. The bayonet temples don't stay on your face.