• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Those are all great questions, and I hope you get some answers. Please let us know what you hear from Rancourt.
On a different note, awhile back I posted a pic of some roughout natty cxl Vibergs on here. Here is a description of the leather for these boot from Nick Horween (maker of the leather and owner of the boots). It's called Marine Field Shoe and is actually cxl with the roughside treated.
http://horween.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/boondockers/

Kashiwa, is there any place to buy these boots, or were they an MTO for Nick Horween?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Vibergs are beautiful. I like how the tongue extends so far above the laces. Rancourt could certainly make something like this...

Kashiwa

Reaction score
They were an MTO, or perhaps a gift, for Nick Horween, and I'm not sure whether there are plans to produce more. I looked around a bit online, but couldn't find anything. You might give Brett Viberg a ring.

Frank, the elongated and contrasting tongue is very cool, and I'm sure Rancourt could do that. I really like the shape of the counter, wonder if they could do that?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think the tongue is the CXL right-way out, so to speak?

And yes, I do like that counter now that you point it out. Something about that boot looks very elegant to my eye, even though it is clearly meant to be primarily functional.

Not sure if that welt is in the Rancourt playbook right now.

Putting this leather on my list to consider, along with the Horween Essex, and that chocolate/espresso shell.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I know there's a general consensus that the ring boot/shoe is not that appealing, and I think I agree. But then there's this:

Hmmm...

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Frank, I think the tongue is CXL right-ways out, but I think it's a different shade. The boot is roughout natty cxl, but I think the tongue is the Iced Mocha CXL that Viberg uses on a lot of their makeups.

And you're right, that counter and welt are not in the Rancourt MTO kit at the moment........

Ring boots don't really do it for me.......

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think the tongue is the CXL right-way out, so to speak?
And yes, I do like that counter now that you point it out. Something about that boot looks very elegant to my eye, even though it is clearly meant to be primarily functional.
Not sure if that welt is in the Rancourt playbook right now.
Putting this leather on my list to consider, along with the Horween Essex, and that chocolate/espresso shell.

Frank, I think the tongue is CXL right-ways out, but I think it's a different shade. The boot is roughout natty cxl, but I think the tongue is the Iced Mocha CXL that Viberg uses on a lot of their makeups.
And you're right, that counter and welt are not in the Rancourt MTO kit at the moment........
Ring boots don't really do it for me.......

By counter, do you guys mean the heal counter? i.e.: the leather on the back of these boots that is one piece from the top to the heel? If so, I agree - really like that.

Actually, love these boots all around. Maybe I will inquire with Viberg about what it take to make them.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boots are beautiful. Do you think rancourt would make a group MTO for something similar where they create whats needed for the boot?

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Those boots are beautiful. Do you think rancourt would make a group MTO for something similar where they create whats needed for the boot?

I'm assuming you are talking about the Viberg boots? I'd really like a pair as well.

My first thought is that we would probably have better luck with Viberg. Not sure if Viberg is planning on doing more with this leather or not, but that may be the place to start.

It would be quite a project for Rancourt. They'd have to get the leather from Horween, and I doubt that Horween has it in stock. And, if so desired, also create a new boot pattern.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

^^ Those are all great questions, and I hope you get some answers. Please let us know what you hear from Rancourt.
On a different note, awhile back I posted a pic of some roughout natty cxl Vibergs on here. Here is a description of the leather for these boot from Nick Horween (maker of the leather and owner of the boots). It's called Marine Field Shoe and is actually cxl with the roughside treated.
http://horween.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/boondockers/

Those boots :drool:

MTO sign me up.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ I think there was a post several pages back where someone suggested that the Railroad Revival Tour boot was made by Rancourt, no? The shape of the boots looks very similar to Rancourt's Blake Boot in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads