1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

Concur with this. I have one outlier pair of Rancourts out of the four I own (a ranger moc, two handsewn chukkas and a tassel loafer). The tassel loafer is quite a bit shorter in length than the others. Make sense that it would be lasted to be tighter since a lot of people probably wear them sockless or with thin socks. Other than that I have found my other pairs extremely consistent size wise.

1 person likes this.
  2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

And keep in mind that they do use different lasts for their different handsewn models. That would not account for a major difference in sizing, but it would make shoes in different styles but the same size fit differently.

3. i10casual

i10casual Well-Known Member

Anyone have some nice new photos of the kudu leather in their phone? I'm gaining interest on the Clymer. I'm probably going to sell my OSB natural rough-out Trench boot to pick this up.

4. maida

maida Member

Thanks @FrankCowperwood

I talked to them today and am planning on going to their booth at the American Field event in Boston Saturday to get some counsel on this.

5. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Well-Known Member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

[​IMG]

Kudu is amazing. we'll be restocking our unlined low kudus next summer - they're out of the leather until sometime in October, so we're changing gears for fall to keep things fresh but you should definitely consider a boot in it if you're curious. I hope they offer more colors in the future.

In other news, I have to gather all of the specs, but I'm going to be taking preorders on our Bison ranger for a little while. our size run will be pretty tight and we won't be able to do a restock of this shoe so I want to make sure everyone gets the size (and width) they need when they roll out - I'll follow up later this week - or later today - with details, pricing, and estimated delivery window.

6. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

In other news, I have to gather all of the specs, but I'm going to be taking preorders on our Bison ranger for a little while. our size run will be pretty tight and we won't be able to do a restock of this shoe so I want to make sure everyone gets the size (and width) they need when they roll out - I'll follow up later this week - or later today - with details, pricing, and estimated delivery window.[/quote]

Count me in for an 8.5 normal width!

7. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

I am in love with my new Blake boots. They're very unique in terms of how they feel on my feet. This will sound strange perhaps, but they feel exactly like a pair of high top converse all stars, but with a decent sole and made of leather. I can run and dance and leap in them like they were sneakers, not boots, but they have some of the stability of a boot. I LOVE the bumpy bottomed lactae hevea sole. It seems to have better traction than the ranger sole on my other boots, and it also feels more stable, because it's lower. The lactae hevea has a bit of rubbery bend and squish to it, and in the taller ranger sole, I find that sometimes it will bend so much that it feels unstable around the edges. This sole lacks that problem. These boots are lined, unlike my other pair, but they don't feel heavier or stiffer. The toe box stretched readily to accommodate my toes, much like a moccasin, rather than surrounding my toes the way a boot normally would. I think that's part of the close, canvas sneaker feel.

What really made me want to post about them, though, is that I think photos of these boots look awful. There's something about their shape, the way it slopes, that seems to trick cameras into making them look unrefined. And even on the shelf in person, they still look that way to me. But they come alive on the foot, in a way I never expected until I first tried them on in the store. So, I wanted to take photos that show them how I see them, in case people who feel lukewarm about them online might be missing something they'd really love, like I was.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. FrankCowperwood

I wore my PDG Chandler camp mocs the whole holiday weekend. Will take a photo this week to post. The leather, unlined, is the reference people would use to compare butter to leather. As in, "that butter is soft like kudu suede." You see? ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the pics and thoughts, your boots look awesome Matt. Man, I wish Blake boots came in widths. I'd have a pair or two by now if they did.

1 person likes this.
  10. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

If these weren't Chromexcel and I wasn't good at stretching shoes, these would have been a no-go for me. I'm the same as you, if these came wide, I'd buy those.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

@FrankCowperwood could you feasibly wear these Bison Climbers unlaced, as shown in the pics? or is tying them necessary?

12. FrankCowperwood

I think you could, yes. Sort of like people wear high tops?

13. Bakes11771

Haha, yes, but not in the way that I think you think I'm thinking of.

14. FrankCowperwood

Well sure. Assume you already wear your Yeezy Boosts that way, so probably want something of a different look from your handsewns... :)

But seriously, why do you want to wear them unlaced? Which is not to say "But why would you ever want to wear them that way!?!?!" You know me: Wear your stuff however the heck you feel. But eather just out of interest...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  15. Bakes11771

Haha, well played!

Have you ever seen when people take the end of their laces and coil them up instead of tying them? Thats what I was thinking of doing with a pair of thick, round nylon laces that I've got lying around. I used to do it with my Bass ranger mocs when I was in grade school. So they wouldn't be laced loose with the slack flopping around, but they would have to be loose enough to get on and off without untying. Your most recent pics gave me the idea. They'd probably have to be broken in first. BTW, they look waaaaay better in your pics than they do on the website.

Bonus Fact: The reason people do that (or originally started doing it) with their Jordans is so that they don't crease, either to keep them fresh or because some of them are thought to be collectables.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. FrankCowperwood

Got it. I've done that lacing thing with handsewns. That ought to definitely work with the bison, in large part because the leather is thick enough to stand up well on its own. You'd be able to slip your feet in pretty easily without the boot shaft collapsing I think.

Interesting about the Jordans. Seems as if people should start doing that with their Alden shell too if it keeps them from creasing.

Should have posted this earlier, but here are the bison Clymers as part of an overall fit.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Bakes11771

How many wears do you reckon you've got on them?

18. FrankCowperwood

Couple of dozen times I'd say.

19. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Went to the American Field event today and had an awesome time at the Rancourt area. Met Scott in person, super nice. I went overboard with pics and thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

Favorite footwear of the day was the Blake captoe boot in chocolate bison. Too bad the Blake boot doesn't come in widths and was quite long on me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Blake boots. The suede ones were particularly nice.

[​IMG]

In particular, the blue suede boots were awesome.

[​IMG]

They had a couple shoes in blue grain that were also cool. Blue was the color of the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Rancourt PTB. I'm eyeing a couple MTOs in this pattern.

[​IMG]

Chocolate bison again. So good.

[​IMG]

I liked the buckaroo in person way more than in pics online. The combo of grain and pull up is super interesting.

[​IMG]

Green lining!

2 people like this.
  20. Bakes11771

You did not at all go overboard on pics. In fact, you did exactly the right thing! Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that buckaroo does look pretty cool. Any more shots of that, by chance?

What other vendors did you check out there?