1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

@David Midecem, all of Rancourt's shoes are Blake stitched. The welts on the outside edge are purely ornamental. There are advantages and disadvantages to this method, but if watertight is what you're angling for, it's not your best option.

2. David Midecem

David Midecem Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the photos and recommendations. I own a pair of Red Wings and I personally do not really like the big profile (that sounds odd, but you know what I mean). I am looking for something that is slimmer. The Blake boots appear to have what I'm looking for and the toe box is pretty rounded, not too pointy like AE shoes. I don't know what they really look like in person though.

Watertight is not 100% what I'm aiming for. I just need the boots to be able to step on shallow snow and help me move from one building to another around campus between lectures. I'm not going to use them to fight big puddles. I guess they should be fine?

Do you guys have any recommendations for brands other than Rancourt?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Classic "Bean Boots" from LL Bean are both cheaper and more functional. And appropriate for a campus setting. If you want something more rugged, Chippewa boots are both tough enough and cheap enough that you can risk thrashing. Bean sells two variants; j crew sells some more expesnive versions. The basic model can be found real cheaper on the internet from work boot sellers.

If you want dressier, the best options are English. Look for the Herring website. They sell their own label plus Loake, Trickers, etc. A stout brogue boot with a rubber sole will surely meet you requirement.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

Wanted to share a pic of my color 8 beefrolls as they've broken in. I wear them exclusively without socks and they shell has moulded to the contours of my feet, to the point where they make a sucking sound when I take them off. One shoe is showing noticeably more red than the other. I was thinking of putting the browner one in a window for a few days.

[​IMG]

The only issue I've had is Rancourt's crappy leather soles, similar to others' experience here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do folks think --- time to get them replaced or can I make it through another season of wear? I've only had them since April.

5. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

6. eljlakers

Natty CXL ranger mocs aging nicely...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Aaaaand they have arrived. Neither words no photos do them justice - they are BEAUTIFUL. I'm in the middle of a move and at the moment I don't have the wherewithal to post anything more about them than a couple of very amateurish snaps, so here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    4 people like this.
  8. David Midecem

Hi, I am about to pull the trigger. I Have some questions about sizing. I wear a 9D in AE 511 last. My feet are just barely a tiny bit bigger than 9D on Brannock device. Katie recommends going 0.5 size bigger on Blake boots. What do you think? I do not want to mess up with shell shoe size. Do the lined Blake in shell stretch to be too loose?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  9. TH3515

TH3515 Well-Known Member

^^The green shell is unreal. Wow! Boot envy!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  10. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Wow, those chukkas! Boot envy indeed.

11. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    I managed to take this one while waiting for my friends. Love these in navy. Any ideas on what sole should I put after these ones are gone? I think I'm gonna have to change this ones in two months or so with the current use.

[​IMG]

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

The shell will not stretch. I am a 9.5D on the brannock, that's what I ordered for my Blakes and they fit like a glove.

CXL stretches like crazy. Not sure what advice to give for cxl sizing in the context of blake boots, but for my cxl handsewns I always go down half a size. If the CXL is lined, it will not stretch as much as it would if it were unlined.

Careful following their sizing advice. They don't always know what they are talking about, and there have been a few occasions where I was glad that I didn't listen to them. Also, they lean towards sizing up, because you can wear a boot that is too big more easily than you can wear a boot that is too small. (at least that's my theory)

@wdahab and @FrankCowperwood also have knowledge relevant to your situation.

13. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

Holy Moses those look incredible. May we see them on?

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

What sole do they currently have? Looks like camp moc sole?

I'd say aspen.

The natural or yellow would pop nicely against the navy.

[​IMG]

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Those are some great looking beefrolls. I think Rancourt shell breaks in so nicely. Looks like you should get another season out of those soles. I believe there's a consensus here that Rancourt leather soles are lacking. But these don't look done yet.
    Epic. Just epic. Glad they finally arrived safe and sound. Lined shell will not stretch. I went TTS for the pair of Blake boots I have.

16. arepaberry

arepaberry Well-Known Member

Between Orlando, Miami, Cali Colombia, and Caracas
    I like the yellow the most to be honest, thanks a lot for the photo, it helps a lot!

17. David Midecem

Thank you very much. Will unlined shell stretch? I also want to order some unlined too.

18. eljlakers

Temps in the 40s. Time to break out the man Uggs...Shearling-lined CXL chukkas.

[​IMG]

19. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Man uggs. That's a classic term.

20. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

In my (limited) experience, you can get some stretch but only if you intentionally work at it, e.g. wearing around them house with thicker than normal socks or enduring some break-in pain.