1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with this. There has been a huge push by Rancourt into the consumer market. Look at the visibility through social media, trade shows, pop-up markets, etc. They also went through considerable time and expense to built out that custom online portal. if they were not interested in additional brand awareness and business they would not be doing any of that. there is a clear transition to build a brand and not be only a third party manufacturing solution.

2. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Perhaps I wasn't that clear. They want to expand their own brand, but they are desperately looking for more handsewers.

In any case, I think the most important things they could do is continue to increase their social media presence and actually get some decent photos on their website.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

And it's funny that as great a tool as the MTO module is, the depiction of the shoe you are building is pretty awful. Not sure it's reasonable to expect anything more, but I can image be a little hard to really see what the shoe you are creating is going to look like.

4. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Teaser picture of upcoming Rancourt coverage from Capsule..

[​IMG]

5. aphelan

aphelan Well-Known Member

Should I be using anything to treat the wood on my natural soles? Trekking in the snow has definitely dinged them up a bit.

6. cathpah

cathpah Well-Known Member

That's not wood, it's stacked leather. You can use edge dressing to re-dye and (in the case of natural edges) re-seal them. I use the edge dressing by Allen Edmonds, and it works great.

7. FrankCowperwood

Those look familiar. [​IMG] Glad to see I'm right on the curve.

Will look forward to your report.

Same here. It does wonders.

I've also applied some Montana pitch blend as edge dressing but I think the AE stuff made for the purpose gives a more satisfactory result.

8. MattBernier

MattBernier Well-Known Member

That is hilarious. Thanks for that resource by the way!

9. anrobit

anrobit Well-Known Member

Speaking of the OSB trench line, I have confirmed that they're in New York somewhere, but I'm still trying to find out where. It's in the pipeline. I have other questions concerning OSB that I'm trying to clear up too, but we'll see how that goes.

10. fitchottie

fitchottie Well-Known Member

I forget the name but it begins with a p... Sorry I am not help if you ask tony at independence he will tell ya... If I remember they have a website and there prices were basically the same.

11. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Like who or what is responsible for their clicking/hide selection? Lol

12. dannyh

dannyh Member

I would definitely disagree with you here. I've purchased two pairs of custom Quoddys and the quality seems exactly on par with the other MiM handsewns. All the designs are slightly different between the manufacturers but nothing about my Quoddys would suggest lower quality. In fact I've noticed more loose threads on my OSBs and brand new Rancourts than on my Quoddys (none so far). I'd also rate Quoddy the highest in comfort (although all are quite comfortable). Just my personal experience.

1 person likes this.
  13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

+1 to Rancourt customer service.

I received a pair of Ranger Moccs back in August and broke one of the rawhide laces on them a couple of mornings ago. The good folks at Rancourt have already sent me out a replacement pair. It's little things like this that remind me that paying a bit more for my shoes is worth it in the long run.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Would you guys be interested in doing a Rancourt Styleforum MTO?

Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

16. eljlakers

eljlakers Well-Known Member

I'd be interested depending on the model that everyone is considering. I have a specific MTO in mind for next winter (though maybe that's because it hasn't been above 25 where I am for the last week!).

17. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I would be interested.

Considering that Rancourt seems to be able to turn out MTO products relatively quickly, I suggest something that would get a lot of wear for the spring and/or summer.

1 person likes this.
  18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Possibly . . .

19. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I agree. I was planning on ordering something to have for this spring/summer. Anyone have any models in mind? I, personally, was going to order a ranger moc. But I'm open.

20. FrankCowperwood

Interested.

I'll raise this question though: What's the advantage of an SF MTO from our perspective?

Would we be talking about something like a custom color of leather? A custom design element?

I guess we could get them to lower or waive the MTO charge, which would be nice.

But I'm wondering what the motivation is for trying to get everyone to agree on a makeup or two when it's pretty easy to get almost anything you want from Rancourt in short order anyway.

NB, I'm not trying to throw cold water on this. Just figure there might be something more to this and would like to hear more.

1 person likes this.