1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

115 last for both.

Danforth: suede, with Tempest sole

Blake: calf, with leather sole

Of course if you go MTO it would just be under "Blake wingtip" in the customization tool. Can't wait till my snuff Danforths arrive!

2. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

Does anybody have experience with the plain toe chukkas? I'm trying to find out what size to buy and I measure an 8.5 D on the brannock device.

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

8.5 will work for you. I measure 8.5 as well and take an 8 in Rancourt loafers and ranger mocs. I recently tried on the Blake chukkas in an 8.5 and they fit great

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I measure 11D in Rancourt handsewns and went 11.5D for Blake boots. So I second rydenfan.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Danforth available in the Dark Olive smooth leather. Must just be the sole.

6. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

No experience with the Chukkas, but my Blake boots are the same size as my loafers. Then again, my loafers have stretched a little bit and if I was wearing them sockless I would have gone down to 8.5 instead of 9.

8.5D should be fine on the chukkas. Lined vs. unlined might dictate the socks you wear, though.

7. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too lazy for laces today.. CXL beefrolls.

2 people like this.
  8. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

Thanks for the advice gents. Does anyone have fit pictures of their plain toe chukkas? Do they look better in person?
    My only concern is that in pictures, the toe looks bulbous and resembles Clark's desert boots.

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/ready-made/men-s/blake-chukka-olive-mohave-suede.html

They are part of the ready made collection. Buy them and see what you think; if you don't like them then you are out $25

10. FrankCowperwood

There are some photos of the Blake boot in this thread, which is the same shape as the chukka. My opinion is that it is a round, more workboot style toe. I wouldn't call it bulbous. It's casual.

11. agnyc

agnyc Member

MTO ranger mocs came in today. I'm very happy with the results. Can't wait to break them in.

[​IMG]

12. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Well-Known Member

How do you like the crepe sole on the rangers? I have rangers with camp moc sole but I'm considering getting crepe. My fear is that they will not be as comfortable because of the hard leather midsole. What are you opinions?

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Looks like you went with the cinnamon laces? Nice touch!

Is that tan bulldog leather?
    I have boat shoes with boat sole and rangers with apsen (and leather midsole). The aspen, even with the leather midsole is about 10x squishier than the hard rubber of the boat sole. Honestly, I can't even feel the leather midsole, just the squishy latex. The leather midsole must look a lot harder than it is. Not sure I would call it hard at all.

14. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Well-Known Member

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102
    We've got a unique pair of Navy Orion Suede chukkas available for a special housekeeping price!

Size 9.5

[​IMG]

Price is set below retail at $265.00 - about 30% off of the MTO price - Nonreturnable

PM me or email if interested!

15. FrankCowperwood

Exactly what I would say. The crepe and the RLH soles are very comfortable. There's no sense of that leather midsole at all when you wear them.

16. NilsXV

NilsXV Member

Sizing question

Have been wearing my unlined CXL Venetians on boat sole for 2 weeks now. After a few days breaking them in they fit like gloves. I ordered 0,5 size or so too small, based on an earlier recommendation of the salesman of my Timberland 3 eyelet CXL boats (out of stock for years now, only available in 2 eyelet). Those have been my favorite shoes for more more than 10 years and made me get used to the flexibility of the CXL leather and to all (!) toes just touching the front of the toe box. The shape of the Venetian molds very nicely to the foot and I experience no heel slippage (wearing them sockless only).

Now for my planned next order, unlined shell camp mocs, I have the following questions:

1) Have no experience with unlined shell, but expect shell to be less flexible and stretchy compared to CXL, is that right? Or just a bit longer break-in?

2) Will wear the camp mocs also sockless, but am thinking to order 0,5 or even 1 size larger than my Venetians, depending on the feedback on my first question. This will result in "normal" room in the toe box, however will also result in additional width according to Rancourt's sizing chart: W7 changes to W8 for 10D and above (now wearing 9,5D left and 9D right)
    Therefore these size-10s will probably need to be at B width; W6 (!) on the sizing chart, which again might be too narrow.
    The question now is: how to assess the risk of B size being too narrow / the instep being too low? (live outside US, so Made to Fit service not available).

Thanks in advance for sharing your sizing and CXL vs shell experiences.

17. agnyc

agnyc Member

This is my first experience with them and they seem super comfy. I've had lactea and didn't live them. I have vibram' sand love them. I'd say it's kinda in between.

18. agnyc

agnyc Member

Thanks. I'm actually thing about trying some work boot laces.

As for the leather... It's "plainsman brown" CXL with a brown CXL mudguard. I was originally looking for tan but I wanted the same leather, different color.

19. FrankCowperwood

These look great BTW. That extra piece of leather around the shoe above the midsole is an different feature. Is that what's called a mud guard? Edit: Sorry I see you just explained this. Looks great.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  20. agnyc

agnyc Member

Thank you! Love the mudguard. I wanted to do something two-tone but not on the upper Rancourt was more than helpful picking something out and they said the mudguard was "no problem".