1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Calikid

Calikid Well-Known Member

Thanks,

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

You're right rydenfan, they are the Montello Mini-Lug... so far very comfortable.

Thanks

So far I have worn them with Kkakis and jeans. I think they would look great with Navy Blue pants and also charcoal and grey pants. They look pretty dark indoors, not quite black but dark green.

IMO they run large. I have a pair of the Blake Plain Toe boots in the same size and the wingtips feel larger and longer than the boots.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Well-Known Member

Hmm guess it's between color 8 and natural cxl

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I wonder what it is about LWB's in general that creates this? It is the same thing for me with my Alden's. I take an 8D in Barrie lasted boots and shoes but my 8D LWB's require me to wear an insole to take up the extra volume. One of these days I will get around to trying a longwing a half size down as it may be a slightly better fit

4. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Well-Known Member

Do I need to do anything (like condition / polish) the brown CXL before wearing? Or can I enjoy them straight out of the box? :)

5. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

You'll probably get a few different answers. I always use Montana Pitch Blend on CXL right away, but I think a lot of guys just wear it & treat it with something as needed.

6. seer

seer Well-Known Member

I would not polish, but do use a good conditioner or boot oil. I once had some dust ruin the finish on a pair of Alden in natural CXL. Keep the leather moist and healthy.

7. seer

seer Well-Known Member

I'm about to order a Blake boot, do any of you have experience with them? Are they well made? I recently read that the insole was not up to par, something about leather being wrapped around plastic. Any thoughts? Pictures would also be nice. Thanks...

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Plenty of pics in my gallery.

Never had a problem with the insole.

Someone was admiring mine on Sunday, and showing me their Red Wings. I was telling him about Rancourt and their MTO program, ect, but I told him that if I tried to treat them like actual work boots, they'd probably fall apart. I expect that they'll last for years if I just wear them like normal shoes and don't try to do anything crazy with them.

9. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

The insole is, indeed, leather wrapped around a Texon leatherboard or fiberboard insole. This isn't as nice as some competitors (like most AE), but is equivalent to others who, even if they aren't using leatherboard, are using a synthetic material like poron or foam. That said, I would recommend Rancourt commit a little bit extra and make it a solid piece of foam under there.

As for longevity, I disagree, shell cordovan is just as durable, if not more durable than Red Wings. I know it might not always feel like it, but shell can really take a beating. If you want to see what I mean, take a look at the Wolverine 721 Review thread, where Crane's has put his unlined shells through the ringer, including getting them coated in concrete, kicking rocks, and hiking miles and miles a day with them.

The only thing that makes a pair of Red Wings more durable would be a more structured toe, which is better if you're using your toe to pivot pieces of wood or other heavy items. But otherwise, it ought to hold up just fine.

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I've got unlined suede Blakes and have been happy with them. Agree that they are not heavy work boots, but I think they are perfectly durable from what I can tell. I don't know how the insole is constructed, so I can't comment.

Personally, I found I had to go up .5 size from TTS on mine, from 11D to 11.5D Blake boot.

I recommend them.

If you have give them a call, I bet they'll talk about the insole construction with you. Ask them for a photo.

Good luck.

11. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys...

12. seer

seer Well-Known Member

I couldn't find your gallery.

13. FrankCowperwood

Here's an archive shot of my suede Blakes:

[​IMG]

Bakes just posted some great shots of his in shell within the past month or so... Looks like it was on Sept. 29. Can't figure out how to use the gallery feature to link to the original post though...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  14. Bakes11771

Not the shell that I'm referring too in terms of durability, more the construction. I imagine the threading would probably be the first thing to give if I were doing something like carpentry or road construction with them. I think that they are just constructed more like shoes than say a pair of White's boots. I'm not an expert on shoe construction like MWS, and I know that the Blake/Rapid stitch is said to be very solid, but they just feel more like a shoe that is 6" tall than a solid boot.

Click on my user name, view profile, scroll to the bottom of that page where it has my photos and click on the name of this thread.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I think that the issue is more likely to become an actual issue after the boots become many years old, assuming relatively normal wear. If the boots were to become saturated with water, the fiberboard insole will deteriorate and begin to rot. If they are truly being used as work boots, then they may have a lot more accumulation of perspiration to deal with as well. Truthfully, a Blake/Rapid stitched shoe with a leather/fiberboard insole is stronger than a Goodyear-welted shoe with the same type of insole because a rotting insole will cause the gemming to fail in a Goodyear-welted shoe. Since gemming doesn't exist in a Blake/Rapid shoe, this issue isn't a factor. However, when resoling, the insole is more likely to deteriorate and take fewer resolings if it isn't structurally sound due to frequent moisture exposure.

16. seer

seer Well-Known Member

1. I'm going to use the Blake boot more for casual wear. I have the Chippewa Bean Cap Toe boot for heavy lifting. I think the Blake boot will work fine for my needs.

2. Thanks, I found your gallery! Great looking shells!

17. FrankCowperwood

I think this is the way to go and, taking into account the informative replies to your questions about the insoles, I think they should work well for you.

18. Bakes11771

First women's make-up posted in this thread.

Here are the Women's MidBoots that I bought for my GF, that just arrived today.

[​IMG]
    She's not as experienced at shoe photography as I am.

I also had them include some venetian and one of their horsehair brushes.

2 people like this.
  19. FrankCowperwood

Nice! You can pick out the classic Maine handsewn, Bakes. Oh and I hope you actually said to the GF "Honey, you aren't as good at taking Internet shoe photos as I am, yet." [​IMG]

20. Bakes11771

She said she wanted boots that were just like my boats, but boots. I said, they actually make something like that and showed her a picture. Her pic actually isn't too bad, on second thought.