1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

+1 for TZ laces. Thats where I got the flat laces for my Blake boots and they do have colorfully patterned laces like the accessory cord you mention.

You might want to check them out, Tampatrav.

2. tampatravel

tampatravel Well-Known Member

I appreciate the mention of TZlaces. I'll certainly try them out! Love this forum...

3. OliT

OliT Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find a pair of Rancourts for the girlfriend to try on in NYC, but it doesn't seem like there's much on offer. Anyone know of a retailer that carries anything Rancourt in womens sizes? If not, we can probably order a pair for when we visit the US next time, but it would be nice to get them now.

Oh, and if not, does anyone know of other similar quality offerings for womens? She'd rather not get Sperry's.

4. Bakes11771

Call Rancourt and ask if they have any retailers for their women's shoes in NYC 855-999-3544.

I second the notion for her to get a pair of Rancourt shoes, even if it means waiting.

Post pics if it happens.

Could you imagine this thread if there were a bunch of female Rancourt enthusiasts posting pics?

5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

When I was in the Marine Corps, if we were out in the field and somebody broke a boot lace, we use cord like that for laces. It was a nice easy fix as somebody ALWAYS had some cord laying around because we used it for a million different things.

6. OliT

OliT Well-Known Member

Sorry for not saying so before, but I did check with Rancourt and they couldn't think of any that stocked womens. We might order a pair of ready made loafers for trying for size and then ordering a pair of MTO in the style she wants.

7. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I received my email, my Ranger Mocs in #8 Cordovan have shipped. I can't wait to get them.

8. tampatravel

I can't wait to see them! Please post some pics for us to drool over.

9. JVK1

JVK1 Well-Known Member

Just picked these up. Really nice, natural CXL Ranger Mocs with some slight mods on the sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

You can count on it.
    Congrats

Nice, I've been considering these for my next pair.

Exactly what kind of modifications were made?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Is this the Baxter model? Looks great.

12. Bakes11771

Ah, the Aspen sole. BOING!

How does it feel under your foot.

Nice pick up, and thanks for sharing the pics. I think I have a pair of suede rangers on aspen in my near future.

13. JVK1

JVK1 Well-Known Member

I ordered it a bit before I knew those were coming out, but definitely very similar!

Bakes11771 is right on, Aspen sole. I swapped out the standard natural midsole for a dark brown one, and made some other quick modifications on gunmetal eyelets and the laces. I've worn them twice so far - the sole's fantastic. I can't put a final verdict out yet based on the amount of wear, but so far it feels like crepe and I expect it to hold up much longer.

Edit: I just saw this old Rancourt blog piece on the Aspen soles.
    http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blog/2013/05/06/new-lactae-hevea-soles

Mine's essentially the same as the one pictured, but with the darker midsole and such.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

Maybe they took the Baxter idea from your design. I'd say you should discuss a commission. :)

15. JVK1

JVK1 Well-Known Member

Quote:Haha that'd be brilliant. I ordered my pair from Taylor Stitch in SF a couple months back, I think a week or so after that blog post went up... They might have beaten me to the punch.

I hadn't seen it at the time, but Kyle Rancourt was in the city that weekend for an event and had a couple of the Aspen soles (sans shoes) on display. I'd been wanting a pair of the Ranger Mocs and decided to go for it, no regrets!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  16. Rev.Jim

Rev.Jim Active Member

Can most cobblers resole the Blake Last without causing any damage, or is it something special that I need to send it back in to Rancourt to have done?

17. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

It definitely depends on the cobbler. Most just assume that their customers don't know anything about shoes and repair them based on their opinions, skill level, and available tools. Ask your local cobbler if they have a Blake/McKay stitching machine. If they don't then they will probably just cement on a new sole. Historically, Blake stitching machines are less prevalent among cobblers, which is one of the claimed benefits of Goodyear-welted shoes (more cobblers have welt stitching machines on hand).

18. tampatravel

It's funny you mentioned cobblers. I was talking with mine and he won't use JR soles on Aldens or AE's etc... He said they last waaay too long and he doesn't many any money if you never come back (because your soles don't wear out).

19. Rev.Jim

Rev.Jim Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I want to order a pair of the Blake Boots but was concerned about having them resoled in a few years. I read that Rancourt has been around for 3 generations but God forbid anything happens and the company isn't around. I guess with the internet I could always find a company that has the machine to have them resoled.

20. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

It is worth pointing out that Rancourt's Blake Boots are actually Blake/Rapid stitched. This means that the midsole is Blake stitched in the traditional way, but then the outsole (the part that contacts the ground) is stitched using a welt sewing machine. So, if your cobbler has a welt sewing machine, he could replace the outsole properly. However, if your midsole ever needs to be replaced (which is quite common, because the toe area often gets worn into just in front of the stitching) that's where you'll run into trouble.