1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I think the suede is a great idea and that it's going to hold up, definitely. And I think it will gain a lot of character from use. I've got my eye on that suede Ranger Moc they just put up with the Aspen RLH sole.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Rancourt is suggesting I go down half a size for their handsewn shoes. Do others size down or go with their normal size?

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I think Rancourt should relable all their lasts up a half size... :nodding:

4. mikeharo

mikeharo Well-Known Member

I'm an 8.5 brannock and my rancourt for polo edrics are 8 and they have some room in them - meaning they still have considerable room - not sure if its enough room to think 7.5 is the right size but they definitely have room. For reference I'm 8 in Barrie last, 8.5 in AE 1 and 5 last (I know a bit different from most). Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I am the same size as the Barrie, if that heps? Which I guess is the equivalent of going a half size down...

6. rydenfan

Yup, I have my eye on that as well. I was thinking grey suede with the RLH Honey sole but like the look of that one a lot

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I guess I will take their advice.

8. gentpax

gentpax Well-Known Member

Ranc boats in Royal Rockford.

Tempted. Already have some pinchers in that color. Wonder how the fully-lined aspect would affect the half-step down... in a laced boat I might consider TTS.

Edit: The private sale price is $193.37.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  9. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Does that khaki suede present problems if I want to wear khaki pants? They'd clearly look terrific with denim or with shorts, even khaki shorts. But I wouldn' t mind if I could pair the shoes with khakis as well. This is particularly true when I travel and thus want to pack as few pairs of shoes as possible.

10. DC Office Hack

It's been too long since I've been measured in a Brannock, but a few years ago I got measured at some fancy store in DC that used a sensor that I had to step on, and it told me I was a 42 (euro), which is about an 8.5. Anyway, I fit well in Allen Edmonds in their 1 and 8 last but not the 5 last--I've yet to figure out my best size in the 5. It is much too long for me, so I'm guessing I need to size down and probably go up in width. Anyway, my 8.5 Rancourt chukkas are quite comfortable. They're a tad on the roomy side in the toe box, but not with regard to length, and I don't view it as a problem. It helps that I tend to wear more casual socks with the chukkas. The roominess might even be a virtue, since I tend to do a lot of walking in them. I feel the same way about the AE 1 last, since my shoes on that last are slightly chunkier walking shoes like the Wilburt. I do wonder, though, about the fit of Rancourts if I were to purchase dressier shoes that would take dressier socks, esp. with all this talk of CXL stretching. So while I don't think I'd want to size down for ranger mocs, I be tempted to do so for loafers or for those new Derby brogues that are due to come out soon (I've had my eye on AE MacNeils for a while but am keen to see what Rancourt comes up with as an alternative...I'm hoping for something more "country" than the AEs).

11. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

in a moment of rashness i went for these, partly in white suede, from Ralph Lauren. hope they last the summer...

[​IMG]

12. Baldomero

Baldomero Well-Known Member

13. rydenfan

14. DC Office Hack

Nor I. But the retailers who sell Rancourts do have sales, so the trick is to find out who sells the kinds of Rancourts one likes and then get on their sales. The ones I know about are:

Brooks Brothers
    Club Monaco
    Taylor Stich

I'm sure there are others. Also, some Rancourt models are relabeled and sold by Ralph Lauren, Red Wing, Eastland, etc. All that stuff ends up on sale at some point.

It's hit or miss, of course. The only way to get what you want, when you want it, is by paying retail.

15. rydenfan

Jack Spade as well

16. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

There might be another 15% off of the sale price.

17. gentpax

gentpax Well-Known Member

The $193.37 is the in-cart price; includes the extra 15%.

18. JackL2

JackL2 Active Member

Are there any Rancourt stockists in Los Angeles or San Francisco (LA preferred)? Anywhere at all I can try on a pair? I want to try the natural CXL in particular, but would be open to purchasing a variety of other browns.

Am not looking for the Brooks Bros. variant, and I know Taylor Stitch carries some. Are there any other retailers?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  19. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

Taylor Stitch has Rancourt leather swatches in their store.

20. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just got these guys. I knew I wanted navy, but spent a lot of time deliberating over the other colors. I ultimately went with a honey camp sole, nickel eyelets, and white thread. I usually wear a size 6D (small feet, eh) but because everyone's been sizing down, I tried the made-to-fit shoes in 5D and 5.5D. Despite a lot of heel slippage in the 5.5D Venetians that Rancourt sent, my big toe felt crammed, and the fit was downright tight with any socks, so I got these Rangers in a 6D. I didn't want to size down to where they were a bit uncomfortable and assume they would stretch an adequate amount, because tight shoes are the worst! These Rangers are loose without socks, fit well with socks, and are tight with thick socks (I'd like to be able to wear them without, and with all manner of socks).

So how much the cxl going to stretch? I walked around the block and had to tie them pretty tight without socks.