• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

raphaelargus

Reaction score

So, if you're in the market, my recommendation would be to go with your street shoe size, not dress shoe size with these. 

That's exactly how I'm leaning right now.

Either way, the sizing chart available for download on their website is laughable. I scaled everything to 100%, did the credit card test, and lined up everything correctly. It is definitely telling me that I should buy one full size below my measured Brannock size! Amazing.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the reason why they sent him the same pair back is because their policy is that you can only exchange for a pair .5 size bigger, and they don't actually send you a shoe made .5 size bigger, instead they just stretch the original pair they made you .5 size.

I could be wrong though.
While this may be true, they sent him an exact pair same-day he spoke with them, according to the shipping label. He did try it on and it fit the same, small.

Sandwich

Reaction score
They are extremely comfortable. I wear mine on long walks on my days off of work (usually about 6 or 8 miles) and I have no complaints. Like I said, you do give up a bit of traction compared to the rubber sole though (but I've found that once I learned this I tend to compensate for it unconsciously). My only real concern is durability with these soles; they are sort of soft and it makes me wonder how long they will last, I guess only time will tell.
Thanks MP - As an update, I think you and the other posters have sold me on the LH soles. Even though I am concerned about them wearing out too quickly, I take comfort in the fact that Rancourt only charges about $50 for a resole and has a 3 week turn around.

I also spoke with Katie from Rancourt. She is kindly fedexing me sample swatches of all of the leather I shortlisted (for free). I think that at this point I am leaning towards the olive CXL, but I will decide once I get the samples. Btw: no extra cost for LH or Crepe soles.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks MP - As an update, I think you and the other posters have sold me on the LH soles. Even though I am concerned about them wearing out too quickly, I take comfort in the fact that Rancourt only charges about $50 for a resole and has a 3 week turn around.

I also spoke with Katie from Rancourt. She is kindly fedexing me sample swatches of all of the leather I shortlisted (for free). I think that at this point I am leaning towards the olive CXL, but I will decide once I get the samples. Btw: no extra cost for LH or Crepe soles.

I have a pair of olive CXL trail mocs from Eastland Made in Maine (apparently made by Rancourt) and the color is great. They're easily my favorite casual shoes.

chuckb

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I'm in the process of deciding what my next pair of Rancourts will be (I've got a pair of pinch pennies in brown cxl with honey camp soles), and I'd love to get some opinions drawn from the assembled wisdom of this here thread.
Specifically, I'm looking to get a pair of shoes for spring / summer to be worn with shorts, jeans, and casual cotton/linen trousers.
I have three main questions:
  • Camp moc or ranger moc? I like the idea of both, though I fear the short vamp on the camp moc might make it so I can't reasonably wear loafer socks.
  • What color leather? I'm no big timer, so I'll be getting CXL or some sort of pebbled leather rather than shell. I'm specifically considering navy, green, or natural cxl, or a light brown pebble grain. Would navy cxl look terrible with darker jeans or blue trousers?
  • What sole? I'm pretty happy with the camp sole on my pinch pennies, but I'm intrigued by the RLH sole that they offer. How hard-wearing is the RLH sole? I gather that it's quite comfortable, but I'd rather not have a sole that wears down quickly if I can avoid it. If I go with navy CXL I'd either do a red camp sole or honey RLH, green CXL with honey camp or RLH, or light brown CXL or pebble grain with the red camp sole.
Thanks so much, especially to those of you who have posted pictures of your makeups - they've been tremendously helpful in trying to make a decision

:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are leaning towards a Navy Camp moc.

here is a pic from their instagram of a guy wearing navy camp moc with jeans.

Sorry if this is nothing that you haven't seen before. (I agree its not my favorite combo, but I won't say that it doesn't work)

I think if you get loafer socks like this, they might not be visible with a camp moc (though it would be a close call)

Also, while digging those pics up I came across this more recently posted before/after Pic of some shell blake boots that they refinished. Results look good.

Edit: Also, based on the posts above it sounds like you will get multiple years of life out of a RH sole, before it needs replacing. At least to me, that is enough useful life to make it a non-determining factor in my decision.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out suede in your list, either. I've got a pair of the Oakstreet navy trail mocs with red camp sole that I like quite a bit. I'm thinking about something in a loden or peanut suede for this spring.

Also, has anyone tried out the Venetians on a Hevea sole yet? I'm thinking about doing that as a psuedo-driving shoe

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gentlemen,
I'm in the process of deciding what my next pair of Rancourts will be (I've got a pair of pinch pennies in brown cxl with honey camp soles), and I'd love to get some opinions drawn from the assembled wisdom of this here thread. 
Specifically, I'm looking to get a pair of shoes for spring / summer to be worn with shorts, jeans, and casual cotton/linen trousers.
I have three main questions:
  • Camp moc or ranger moc? I like the idea of both, though I fear the short vamp on the camp moc might make it so I can't reasonably wear loafer socks.
  • What color leather? I'm no big timer, so I'll be getting CXL or some sort of pebbled leather rather than shell. I'm specifically considering navy, green, or natural cxl, or a light brown pebble grain. Would navy cxl look terrible with darker jeans or blue trousers?
  • What sole? I'm pretty happy with the camp sole on my pinch pennies, but I'm intrigued by the RLH sole that they offer.  How hard-wearing is the RLH sole? I gather that it's quite comfortable, but I'd rather not have a sole that wears down quickly if I can avoid it. If I go with navy CXL I'd either do a red camp sole or honey RLH, green CXL with honey camp or RLH, or light brown CXL or pebble grain with the red camp sole.

Point 1: I think the camp moc is the most casual since it has the least lacing. It is essentially a slip on. The ranger moc is going to be a little bit more all purpose since you can lace it more securely. You aren't going to do anything extreme in them, but there is some added utility from the security of the lacing. I think either style will go well with your trouser list and either can be worn sockless or with loafer socks and look good. To my eye

Point 2: CXL or pebbled leather are both great choices. I really like the look of pebble leather. That being said, I still don't seem to own any. CXL is a great, sturdy choice. I think the question of whether blue shoes will go well with blue pants really depends of the actual color tone of each. Definitely possible as the photo above shows. Really a toss up with all those color choices. I could see myself wearing any of them. Green and blue are a little more "interesting," thought they will both be very wearable. Natural CXL a little less striking, though probably still unusual for most people to see. Brown pebble is a clear middle of the road choice.

Point 3: RLH sole is pretty hard wearing. I think you'll do fine with that unless you are really hard on your shoes. It's a great choice and better than the crepe. The camp soles are both comfortable (amazingly so for being a thin piece of rubber) and very hard wearing. One difference between the RLH and camp is that the former will be a little higher profile (I believe it usually has a leather midsole used with it) and the latter will be very low profile. The camp sole gives more of a slipper look and feel to my eye, which I really like. I think your choices of sole color are excellent. Love all those combinations. I want a pair myself that puts something (TBD:)) on top of a red camp sole.

Have fun choosing.

Virchow

Reaction score
Don't rule out suede in your list, either. I've got a pair of the Oakstreet navy trail mocs with red camp sole that I like quite a bit. I'm thinking about something in a loden or peanut suede for this spring.

Also, has anyone tried out the Venetians on a Hevea sole yet? I'm thinking about doing that as a psuedo-driving shoe
I just got a peanut suede welt-line loafer with tan stitching. Very nice, similar to Alden's flex welt snuff suede loafer.

chuckb

Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the wisdom.

@bakes: Yeah, I think maybe I like the navy/red combo better in theory than in practice, especially since I wear blue pants a good portion of the time. I have some loafer socks like that, and I'll see if they work with a pair of cheap, ******, ill-fitting camp mocs I leave at my office for when the weather sucks and I wear boots to commute (~5 months out of the year, since I live in Minnesota). Also, those shell boots look fantastic with some wear - if only they had something other than D widths for that last.

@grendel & virchow: I love suede, more than is perhaps advisable, but I'm leaning away from it since I want to feel comfortable wearing these shoes even if it's a little wet out in the summer, including wearing them to go sailing.

@frankcopperwood: Thanks for the detailed thoughts. The pics in this thread of your brown pinch pennies are part of what led to me ordering those for my first pair, and your green shell ranger mocs might do the same.
Upon thinking about it further, I think what makes the most sense is to get a pair of camp mocs in either light brown pebble or natural cxl with a camp sole, and a pair of green cxl ranger mocs with the honey RLH sole.
Gah, this thread (and styleforum in general) is terrible for my wallet.

Any thoughts about the dark brown sole vs red brick sole with the lighter brown leather? I'm torn.

350x261px-LL-5a67e455_photo-1.jpeg

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a peanut suede welt-line loafer with tan stitching. Very nice, similar to Alden's flex welt snuff suede loafer.

I am considering peanut suede beefroll. Is the color like Alden's snuff suede? Peanut suede looks more orangey in pictures on Rancourt's site.

Virchow

Reaction score
I am considering peanut suede beefroll. Is the color like Alden's snuff suede? Peanut suede looks more orangey in pictures on Rancourt's site.
Peanut is definitely lighter and more vibrant than Alden's snuff suede. It's not quite as soft either. But I think the lighter colour makes for a great summer shoe. The snuff repello suede from Rancourt seems way too dark for me.

I also realised I have pinch pennies, not the weltline "full strap".

tampatravel

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I wanted to let everyone know that the Jack Spade Rancourt

Barron Boat Shoe in Red/Navy

Barron Boat Shoe in Green/Navy

They're $250 retail, but marked down to $145. The "MINUS25" coupon takes 25% = $108.75

Free Shipping of course and you might have to pay tax but still a great deal!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They make the buckle loafer. Seems like they should be able to do a bit. Can't recall seeing one.

Anyone own anything in the chili latigo leather? What are your thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads