• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph lifschitz featured in architectural digest

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****EDIT: the name is spelled 'Lifshitz'. Apologies for insufficient fact-checking.***
041012mast_01.jpg
Ralph and Ricky's upstate NY manor house in the current (october 04) issue.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Where does he live, in the 1970s? Jeez... reminds me of that New Years party scene in Boogie Nights where Don Cheadle is explaining his new 'look' after the cowboy thing.

Memo to the person(s) at Polo.com that reads the Forum: don't let the boss out of the house looking like that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where does he live, in the 1970s? Jeez... reminds me of that New Years party scene in Boogie Nights where Don Cheadle is explaining his new 'look' after the cowboy thing.

Memo to the person(s) at Polo.com that reads the Forum: don't let the boss out of the house looking like that.
HAHAHA. LOL.

(BTW: is everyones house from 1919?)

Jon.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you saying yours isn't? get with the program.

(actually mine is from right around then, probably 1918. pretty old for california. doesn't *quite* look like ralph's though.)

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
faustian bargain, Your avatar gives me nightmares. It is like, a demonic large fries, or something. My house is from the 1930's. And when I say house, I mean my one bedroom apartment. It does have some charming art deco features though. What is with Ralph's spousal equivalent's velvet-collared hacking jacket and indian leggings combination? It makes her look... confused.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She's an equestrindian.

Faustus, I have to say I also have a hard time with your avatar, especially because subliminally I see a large fries reading everything you say on the forum. It's a little weird.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's an equestrindian. Faustus, I have to say I also have a hard time with your avatar, especially because subliminally I see a large fries reading everything you say on the forum. It's a little weird.
Thats why we need the ACLU... First the Governing forces do away with the Half Naked Woman and the Drugs, before you know it the French Fries are on the out.
wink.gif
JJF

dorian

Reaction score
House in CT is from before this land was a nation, but that doesn't equate with any sort of architectural triumph. Go Ralph for acquiring one (an architectural masterpiece, as seen by AD). Ralph does his own thing, as we all know and for which, I think, we all have our own opinion. Faustian, now that it has been raised, I have to agree completely that the avatar is a little large fries mixed with maniacal mastermind; a little disconcerting. However, as you wish, as far as I am concerned.
wink.gif
Hey, This may ought to be raised in another section of the forum, but what does one rate most highly, if such things can be rated, with regards to women? Having broken apart with my self-proclaimed (that is, she proclaimed) fiancee and future wife, I have to say that I am generally bitter, and consequently eagerly await Jude's performance in Alfie to inspire a return to other days. So, back to the question I posed, what does one rate most highly with regards to women? Signed, Aged 25, Hopeless Romantic, formerly 'Playboy; Poker Player (and winner)'...... and likes long walks on the beach... no, seriously. I'm really asking.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... So, back to the question I posed, what does one rate most highly with regards to women? ....
Answer: Having large.......fries.
devil.gif
In case any of you are not culturally elite, my current avatar is the character Frylock from the scintillating small-screen serial adventure known as Aqua Teen Hunger Force, shown regularly on the Cartoon Network. It's a base, offensive, and idiotic show. Which is to say, it's brilliant. I glanced at the AD article. The interior of Ralphie's house is pretty ritzy. I haven't formed judgment yet. /andrew PS - J. please don't outlaw the Fry-man...
tounge.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, I won't. He looks smarmy, yet sophisticated. Much like the title character of this thread, actually...

I've seen the show and I can't remember how Frylock sounds, but I have an impression in my head based mainly on his facial expression and neatly trimmed facial hairdo. I will continue to go with that until I finally break down and pay for cable.

arvi

Reaction score
why the use of "lifschitz" faustus??would he be any less successful and influential ( agree with him or not) if he had instead been born "ralph covingtonII" or some other less sounding ethnic name?
dontgetit.gif
aside from the overly ubiquitous polo logo which adorns so many poorly dressed men and a few excesses(e.g. american west obsession) ralph has deep sense of classic style..i guessha d he been less successful he'd be just another very well dressed guy like us.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Frylock is the comedic "straight man" on that show. Great. J and faustian, by the way, excellent comedy lately, all around.

I like Ralph; I don't like when he appears in his own ads. Smarmy and sophisticated, yes, but that "say cheese" smile is far more demonic than the fry-man.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why the use of "lifschitz" faustus??would he be any less successful and influential ( agree with him or not) if he had instead been born "ralph covingtonII" or some other less sounding ethnic name? Â Â Â
dontgetit.gif
Why is ethnic sounding awkward for marketing. Is it more so for men's clothing than for women's. I.e. behnaz safipor (sp?), and host of other ethnic sounding designers for women? -

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why the use of "lifschitz" faustus??

Because it shows that Ralph is a phony, and sort of pathetic -a Jewish kid from Brooklyn (?) who wished that he was born into a New England Brahmin clan and spends his whole trying to become someone else. A real life Gatsby. Sad.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why the use of "lifschitz" faustus??
Because it shows that Ralph is a phony, and sort of pathetic -a Jewish kid from Brooklyn (?) who wished that he was born into a New England Brahmin clan and spends his whole trying to become someone else. Â A real life Gatsby. Â Sad.
C'mon LA, you sound bitter. We both know that Lifschitz wouldnt quite go over like Lauren does, and not because we all know by now the Lauren name. Marketing is everything and its all a perception game, and a name like Lifschitz in the when he began his empire till now probably wouldnt have made it. I think that FB's calling him Lifschitz wasnt nothing more than typical FB (and if it was I will BREAK your head FB
smile.gif
) And if nothing else, lets not take away from the "Gatsby" guy the global empire that he has built. JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads