1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren vs. Brooks Brothers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by onix, Jun 16, 2010.

1. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

I like the look of Brooks Brothers ties, and when on sale I think they're a good deal.

2. yleb33

yleb33 Member

i respect the bros but I'll always be on team RL

3. Geste

Geste Well-Known Member

..does anyone know that RL started out "WORKING" for BrkBrthrs, selling ties? I'm sure he got pissed at the quality and that's why he went out on his own.

4. jc138

jc138 Well-Known Member

Brooks. RL just does not fit me.

5. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

Neither would be my first choice and I'd only shop on deep sales/clearance, but if I had to vote it'd be RL because of the fact that he private labels some great pieces from St. Andrews, Caruso, etc.

I just think that you can cherry pick from RLBL and RLPL and get some classic, well made no-logo stuff. All the other diffusion lines seem irrelevant and those lapels on the BL stuff just looks like it is going to scream "dated" in about three years

I grew up on Brooks long before Ralph co-opted them, but the decline in quality has been pretty steep. These days I think of BB as a place for good shoes (Peal), belts, maybe boxers and, in a fit of nostalgia, I just bought two slim fit OCBDs on that 40% sale they had a few weeks back - first BDs in decades! Otherwise, the suits and sportscoats (Greenfield ones notwithstanding) seem to be made by people who crank out license plates the rest of the week.

6. sellahi22

sellahi22 Well-Known Member

Though RL is better made, I find BB to consistently be a better value for staples, especially when both are on sale. I'd rather have BB wool trousers at $100 than RL trousers at $200, or BB GF suits at $800 than RL half-canvassed suits at $1000, or BB OCBDs (without a logo) at $50 than RL OCBDs (with pony logo) at $75. BB also has better staples like outerwear.

Even at sale prices, for what you pay for most RL stuff you might as well get MTM or one of the Neopolitan brands on sale at shop the finest, ehaberdasher, etc.

Stuff that RL definitely does better are shoes (the cordovan C&Js), ties (the RLPL ones), and obviously polo shirts.

7. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

8. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

BB. I dig the the Black Fleece stuff.