1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren Private Sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 16, 2006.

1. yanks2182

yanks2182 Well-Known Member

I've officially joined the Edwardian Mackay club![​IMG]

Thanks to Andrew on his recommendation and his great pictures of these. The pictures can't even do the color it's full justice.

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Congrats!

The devil wears Edward Green, not Prada.

3. yanks2182

Congrats!

The devil wears Edward Green, not Prada.

The new forum mantra.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Ok, update: I called back and spoke with a manager, who told me the odds are slim that any of the stores have the Mackay in brown in 9.5. Apparently Polo didn't restock in the fall, so many sizes already have sold out. Because the supply is so small, most of the remaining pairs have been sent to New York. But the good news is that he expects the line will continue. If not the Mackay, he said something very similar likely would take its place. That means there may be more come August.

5. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is a C&J model that corresponds to the Darlton Wingtip? The Clifford?

Also, I am need of a black shoe and I just think it is a waste to get the Mackays in black. Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

6. DocHolliday

Unfortunately, I'm sitting out this sale, since I have major clothing bills due to hit my credit card any day now and continue throughout the Summer. I'm *the other* StyleForum member who doesn't own a pair of Mackays and I know it's heresy, but I would rather buy a pair of the Carter, 3-eyelet derbies. But alas, I've decided to gamble on RL having another sale later this year.

Funny, I actually need derbies far more than I need Mackays. But like you, I thought I could pick them up later. Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

7. El Guerrouj

El Guerrouj Well-Known Member

I just came back from the Mansion...very disappointing as there were no EG's in size 8. And when I called yesterday, the salesperson said I could not have them held. [​IMG]

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

Doc...Ebay has a seemingly endless supply via Sausages and Modern Vintage. I'm a repeat customer of both and highly recommend them.

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I have the C&J Clifford and I don't think it corresponds at all to the Darlton, aside from the fact that they are wingtips. Darlton is a much more substantial shoe (I hesitate to use the word bulkier), I believe it is a double-sole, and the broguing perforations appear to be larger as well. The Clifford is much sleeker, and it has the standard elongated toe-box on the 337 last.

10. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is a C&J model that corresponds to the Darlton Wingtip? The Clifford?

Also, I am need of a black shoe and I just think it is a waste to get the Mackays in black. Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

The Darlton wingtip is the C&J Pembroke on the 325 last, from the Benchmade line.

11. yanks2182

How does the fit of the Tellman compare to the Mackay?

12. thinman

Funny, I actually need derbies far more than I need Mackays. But like you, I thought I could pick them up later. Now, if you can just use your magic touch to find us some discount Lobbs....

Did you write this because you know that I found discount Lobbs earlier this Spring? Nothing in your size, unfortunately, but I did pick up a UK size 11 black Perrier for myself, for $206. I keep checking back, but I think my source has dried up.

13. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Well-Known Member

If the darlton is the pembroke, but the pembroke has a rubber sole and is calf leather, is the description of the darlton as leather-soled and cordovan inaccurate? Or is it just a different style of the pembroke?

14. alflauren

alflauren Well-Known Member

Do you think that the black cordovan wingtip is a good choice or too conservative a style for a black shoe?

Do you mean the black Darlton wingtip? I don't think those are cordovan, even though that's what the website says. Regardless, I think it is probably a very good shoe. I have the brown cordovan ones, and they're very nice (with leather sole). But as one comment above states, they are what you might call 'substantial.' No problem in my book. More for the money.

Can others confirm on the black Darltons? I think it's just black calf. So granted, it wouldn't be as good of a deal if the brown cordovan is the same price, but hey - it's a C&J for roughly $300. Hard to go wrong.

15. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

The black plaintoe Darltons are calf. Can't comment on the wingtips, though I doubt there is black shell unless it's new. They have a double sole and are very substantial shoes. They take longer to break in than, say, an EG, but mold nicely and will last a looong time.

Black Darltons were selling for 200 last Fall, because they were on the "Sale" portion of Polo.com, and there was a 30% off code floating around. The lowest I've seen cordovan Darltons is 300 right now, except during the infamous 4 hour Polo.com stack sale.

16. DocHolliday

Did you write this because you know that I found discount Lobbs earlier this Spring? Nothing in your size, unfortunately, but I did pick up a UK size 11 black Perrier for myself, for $206. I keep checking back, but I think my source has dried up.

Yep, I remember you mentioning it. Quite the story! If only I had such luck...

17. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

How does the fit of the Mackey compare to that of the Grant? I picked up Grants today 10.5/D and am thinking about ordering the Mackey online in dark oak. The 12/D black Mackey I tried on today was way way too long, but its width was fine. Salesperson suggested 11/D, but would 10.5/D be better based on how well the Grant (888 last) fits?

Also, for those that have seen burnt pine and dark oak up close, would you say they're a similar looking shade? I'm a bit worried about the Mackey and Grant looking identical once trousers are covering up their top portions.

Also grabbed Piersons in black (082 i think) and a model the name of which I have already forgotten (only had one there, had been mtm for someone) in a sort of reddish brown (888), which is easily my fav of the three.

18. thinman

If the darlton is the pembroke, but the pembroke has a rubber sole and is calf leather, is the description of the darlton as leather-soled and cordovan inaccurate? Or is it just a different style of the pembroke?
    Consensus from the last Polo sale is that the black Darltons are calfskin, whereas the brown ones are shell cordovan. The brown Darlton wingtip has a leather sole and is shell cordovan. I own one and can confirm it. I emailed C&J last Winter to ask about the last and their rep responded that the Darlton wingtip is basically the same model as the Pembroke, on the 325 last.

19. thinman

If the Grant is made on the 888 last, the fit should be similar to that of the Mackay, which is also made on the 888. I've seen the EG leather swatches, as well a the Mackay in dark oak and burnt pine is significantly lighter than dark oak. I can't imagine two pairs of shoes in the two different colors being mistaken as having the same color, even when worn on different days. The colors are _that_ different.

20. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Well-Known Member

Can others confirm on the black Darltons? I think it's just black calf. So granted, it wouldn't be as good of a deal if the brown cordovan is the same price, but hey - it's a C&J for roughly $300. Hard to go wrong.

This was the subject of much discussion last year. As I recall, the consensus was that the black Darltons (plain toe and wingtip) were cow and only the brown Darltons were horse.