1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Raising children bilingual, trilingual (or more)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fabienne, Sep 6, 2006.

1. shellshock

shellshock Well-Known Member

As to Berlitz, I would never use their services, I know how they exploit the linguists.

ugh, this is so true. they charge a lot for their classes and don't pay the teachers anything. my mom taught like 10 years ago, and only recently went back to one night a week for extra money. she only goes back for this group that she really likes who really wants to continue. berlitz wouldn't even throw down some cash for a book she wanted to use for her class. they told her "why don't you use one of the ones we have?" so i guess the students pitched in. it's really terrible. [​IMG]

as for the method they use, it's actually pretty fun. i have been taking portuguese this semester at school and one of my mom's students took portuguese with berlitz and let me borrow the cd's to listen to. i like they way that they introduce the concepts and everything. it's very conversational and fun.

2. candy

candy New Member

My son is 4 months old,and we are trying to bring him up speaking Dutch and English.We live in England but my partner is Dutch.We regularly visit Holland and my partners Mother and Grandparents don't speak English that is why we are hoping he will learn Dutch.The general plan is for my partner to only speak Dutch to him and I will speak English(I don't speak Dutch),obviously as the only language he speaks at the moment is gaga I will have to post again in 18 months [​IMG] to tell you how its going.
    Here is a picture of the little guy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I'm sure he will learn,my kids speak english and french.
    I spoke english to them and my husband spoke french,they learned fast,so go for it girl.
    Your little one is very cute,[​IMG]

3. brookehogan

brookehogan New Member

There are many reasons to teach children multiple languages when they are young. Young children can pick up a new language faster and more easily than a teenager or an adult, although some experts suggest this difference can be attributed to the level of exposure rather than the age of the child. Either way, a second language is a skill that allows a child to explore other cultures, and communicate with more people - at home and abroad. Plus it can create broader opportunities for employment in the future.

Tips for Parenting Teenagers