• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF SIMSONS SS2014

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
less volatile and perhaps a bit more market ready than fw14 and ss14. same wheelhouse though. into it. fun to see him in a sterling ruby shirt and shorts at the end.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a little better, more like it will sell at 60% off than 80% off

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all the coats and jackets are dedicated to Buttons the Cat, raf's loyal pet who died ten days before he started designing the collection

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what a ******* ***** he has become. if you're 45 and a cat is the love of your life kill yourself.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

what a ******* ***** he has become. if you're 45 and a cat is the love of your life kill yourself.

This might be my favorite kunk post of all time

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at walmart too. and gap. and anywhere

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really feelin it, for how good his stuff has been in the past, it's kind of a step elsewhere hopefully he doesn't change like Dirk Bikkemberg.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really feelin it, for how good his stuff has been in the past, it's kind of a step elsewhere hopefully he doesn't change like Dirk Bikkemberg.

Eh? The long tailored coats + skinny black wool pants are pretty much Raf staples, to me it looks like a rehash of stuff he's done before. I mean I don't love it but it could be a lot worse

shootspeed

Reaction score
kinda looks like the previous raf spring/summer if recreated by the current jil sander team, with bits and pieces of the upcoming raf f/w thrown in. i do like that i can actually imagine a lot of these looks on the street though and the presence of even more sneakers is pretty cool.

really like this coat/look too:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
STYLE.COM REVIEW - provides some interesting context

JUNE 25, 2014
PARIS
By Tim Blanks

Every creative act starts with a memory. Artists thrive on the recalled image, feeling, taste, scent. If they're not embracing memory, they're consciously reacting against it. But why bother? There is no escape from the past. It's a beautiful thing, and Raf Simons proved that tonight. On the back of most of the coats and jackets in his collection were sailor collars collaged with fragments of his personal history—the actual and the imagined. "Like mood boards you'd pin your favorite images to," he said. Friends, family, a fluffy kitty, a roller coaster, Mt. Fuji painted by Hokusai, a koi pond, a shark, a swimmer in peril, an astronaut…it seemed furiously random until Simons parsed the images.

Those old photos were of his parents courting fifty-five years ago. The roller coaster, the one he rode with his friends Olivier Rizzo and Willy Vanderperre decades ago. The Japanese influence was his thank-you to the first retailers who ever supported him. The shark was Jaws and Simons' love of horror movies; the swimmer in peril was danger; the astronaut was isolation…surely you've composed a psychological profile by now. In the middle of it all, an old passport photo, Simons in a Superman T-shirt. That shirt was part of Rizzo's graduate collection from Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Arts, the Central Saint Martins in this story. As Rizzo was telling the tale backstage, Simons appeared with the very same T-shirt and gave it back to him, twenty-five years later. Cue tears.

It was that kind of night. The febrile atmosphere was established by the soundtrack—Mica Levi's ravishingly ominous music for Jonathan Glazer's film Under the Skin—and the lighting, red for danger, green for nature. Combined, they created the white light that, according to show producer Thierry Dreyfus, illuminated horror movies in the seventies. It had a dislocating effect, throwing much of the presentation into shadow, so the boys in their dark suits looked like Men in Black, moving eerily through the throng. Oh, yes, forgot to mention, the audience was standing, because, said Simons, "you perceive things differently when you're upright."

As far as he was concerned, what he did was the only possible reaction to the experience of working with artist Sterling Ruby on the Fall collection. That was such a sweet surrender that Simons said, "I could only go deep into myself to find another challenge." He's a supremely organized individual, but maybe Ruby left him with an appetite for chaos. "It's interesting to let go," he agreed.

Mr. and Mrs. Simons, whose courtship had been incorporated into their son's collection, were backstage for the whole show, the first time they'd actually experienced the mechanics of Raf's profession. His mom was visibly moved. His dad wanted to get back to watching soccer. France playing in the World Cup. Memories are made of this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads