• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Racial Demographic of SF

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a I lost the race. I didn't know there was one.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
No, I am. I'm light-skinned and have some features that look Jewish, but I'm definately black.
WTF does this mean? ‘Look Jewish’? Does someone ‘look Christian’? You can’t ‘look’ like a particular religion. You know a lot of people that look ‘Presbyterian’? Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
for the last time: hispanic is not a race.

get that through your thick skulls.

The problem is that people from South America keep on perpetrating "˜La Raza', thus you get this perception of "˜Hispanic'.

The only race is the human race (and Nissan was built for it...
wink.gif
), what makes us black or white or short or tall or male or female is merely a chromosome here and a chromosome there, really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Jon.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The problem is that people from South America keep on perpetrating "˜La Raza', thus you get this perception of "˜Hispanic'.

The only race is the human race (and Nissan was built for it...
wink.gif
), what makes us black or white or short or tall or male or female is merely a chromosome here and a chromosome there, really insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Jon.

Biologically speaking.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Is that a cultural thing that Asians are more into clothes than other ethnic groups?
for some reason, I find this statement pretty funny.

I dunno Jon, these dudes look pretty Jewish to me:
antizionjews.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
for some reason, I find this statement pretty funny. I dunno Jon, these dudes look pretty Jewish to me:
antizionjews.jpg

Yeah, that’s called ‘dress’. That’s the way they dress…just like priests tend to wear white robes and red Prada shoes…but physically, what separates them as ‘Jewish looking’ compared to other people? Jon.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's called "˜dress'. That's the way they dress...just like priests tend to wear white robes and red Prada shoes...but physically, what separates them as "˜Jewish looking' compared to other people?

Jon.

Facial structure - most telling, the Jewish nose.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF does this mean? "˜Look Jewish'? Does someone "˜look Christian'? You can't "˜look' like a particular religion. You know a lot of people that look "˜Presbyterian'?

Jon.

Being Jewish is a little different from being Christian or Muslim because, as far as I know, one has to be born Jewish to really be Jewish (more exactly, your mother has to be Jewish for you to really be Jewish), whereas people can convert to Christianity or Islam. Therefore, in some cases you can 'look' like a particular religion if one can only enter into that religion by birth. I think some Jewish groups allow people to convert to Judaism now, but, theologically speaking, that's an anomoly and not a widely accepted practice. In fact, if you believe that the Jews are the "chosen people" it would be pretty silly to say that someone can become one of the "chosen people" by just choosing to be one of them and thereby usurping the function of "choosing" from God and granting it to yourself.

Also, I think saying there is only "one race - the human race" and ignoring the fact that there actually is race is a big mistake. It's impossible to ignore race. Ignoring race is like ignoring the giant pink elephant in the middle of the room - we can pretend that it's not there but we all know that it is. What we should really do is embrace race and celebrate our differences.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Also, I think saying there is only "one race - the human race" and ignoring the fact that there actually is race is a big mistake. It's impossible to ignore race. Ignoring race is like ignoring the giant pink elephant in the middle of the room - we can pretend that it's not there but we all know that it is. What we should really do is embrace race and celebrate our differences.

You're talking about skin color, not race. Yes, people can be black, or white, or whatever other "˜color' people come in (Asian people aren't really "˜yellow' so, I'm not going to call them that). Race ideology is flawed and is just a bigoted notion to separate us from one another, no surprise really that the Nazi's perpetuated it so. Our differences come about from the direct result of different upbringing, different skin color, and different life experiences. Other than that, we all are for the most part, the same. Like it or not.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So say the anti-Semites, who else do you think perpetuated such nonsense? You haven't seen non-Jewish people with big noses?

Jon.

Perhaps he has never been to Greece or Italy.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Being Jewish is a little different from being Christian or Muslim because, as far as I know, one has to be born Jewish to really be Jewish (more exactly, your mother has to be Jewish for you to really be Jewish), whereas people can convert to Christianity or Islam. Therefore, in some cases you can 'look' like a particular religion if one can only enter into that religion by birth. I think some Jewish groups allow people to convert to Judaism now, but, theologically speaking, that's an anomoly and not a widely accepted practice. In fact, if you believe that the Jews are the "chosen people" it would be pretty silly to say that someone can become one of the "chosen people" by just choosing to be one of them and thereby usurping the function of "choosing" from God and granting it to yourself.

The point is that from a real standpoint, genetically the differences between individuals within a "race" are greater than the ones between "racial" groups. I know what you mean regarding outward and cultural differences but when you get in to the nitty gritty there are no actual "races"
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Perhaps he has never been to Greece or Italy.

Oi! I am insulted!

laugh.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never know how to vote in these types of polls because I'm half hispanic and half white.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has gone from a general question just to figure out what the demographics of the board were to a discussion about the complexities of race/humanity.

I LOVE YOU STYLEFORUM!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads