1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Quintessential/most beautiful Oxford plain cap shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PhilipArnold24, Mar 31, 2012.

1. PhilipArnold24

PhilipArnold24 Member

I read here http://herrskobloggen.blogspot.se/ that if I own only one pair of fine shoes it should be a pair of black Oxford plain cap shoes. I will travel from Sweden to London to buy such pair of shoes, but as I am newbie to the subject of fine shoes, I turn to the expertise in this forum for advice.

(1) Who makes the quintessential ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

(2) Who makes the most beautiful ready to wear black Oxford plain cap shoes?

I realize I must try the shoes before I buy to see they fit my feet.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Philip

2. michaelvl

michaelvl Well-Known Member

Edward Green does. In my opinion, that is also shared by many other men, Edward Green makes the finest RTW shoes in the world. Their Cap Toe Oxford is called the "Chelsea", and it is made RTW in two lasts, the 202 and the 82. My personal preference goes to the Chelsea in the 82 last.
    The difference between the 82 and 202 is that the 82 has a more narrow/pointed toe box compared to the 202. The 202 is classic/traditional last that can look a bit clunky on the smaller sizes (UK8 and smaller), while the 82 looks sleek on all sizes.

I would advise you to try the Edward Green black on both the 82 and 202 a get which one you like most. Her is a picture of the Edward Green Chelsea on the 202 last:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

+1. IMHO the EG Chelsea on the 202 is the quintessential black cap toe.

4. Ivon

Ivon Well-Known Member

Have to agree that EG Chelsea on the 202 is pretty much the definitive one, but for me the John Lobb City II is the one, just ahead of the EG Chelsea on the 82 or the G&G Oxford on the DG70. They rest of the RTW captoes don't compare.

5. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

suggest u use 'search' function as this question has been asked and answered before. IIRC the winner was the Vass F last Old English- it's MTO, and as a handmade shoe is better value than the EG. IMO go a burgundy/deep red not black. Waaaaaay more versatile.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

he's looking for a plain toe...

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

The title says plain cap, which I take to mean a captoe with no brogueing.

1 person likes this.
  8. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

mebbe you're right.

9. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

10. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

John Lobb City II or even the Philip II although it is a punch cap.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Umm...no.

That being said, there are a lot of contenders and it will come down to personal preference and fit of the shoe.

Nobody can count out: Vass, St. Crispin, John Lobb, G&G, EG, and probably some other that I am not thinking of right now. The only shoe that will be the best is one that is bespoke for your feet only.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  12. PhilipArnold24

PhilipArnold24 Member