1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. theyare

theyare Well-Known Member

Ashdown in rough-out suede

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

My wingtip Marlows (on the 325) are marked as a US10/UK9.5 so I would suggest you try a UK10.

Which boots are you looking at?

3. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

deleted

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Thanks, looking at a pair (don't want to post here in case someone buys it) but it's in 10D US (Barneys model) so it'll probably be too small for me then

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Can't you buy it, try it and return it if it doesn't fit? I thought the US had pretty good return policies. I wouldn't discount the boots without at least trying them on.

6. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Well-Known Member

You'll need a size 10UK or possibly a 9.5UK. I full size down but ymmv

7. stevent

Thanks, it's a rare make so I'm really tempted although I'm pretty sure they will be too small as seller said he is a full size smaller than me and the boots are just a bit loose on him

8. stevent

9. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. stevent

Yeah, I vaguely remember those when they were on sale. Would never have spent more than like $150 on shoes back then though

11. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

Santa,Ronald McDonald,Russian Oligarchs,Disney employees, the possibilities are endless.

12. wesos

wesos Well-Known Member

May I ask you afficianados your opinions on my recently purchased Edgwares. I have worn them about 6 times in as many weeks. I have put a coat of conditioner in that time and a few layers of wax in one session; and I use trees. What I'm concerned about is this light-coloured surface "cracking" in the creases and also along the outer edge of the vamp, and it began to appear almost immediately. I have seen pics of other, older Edgwares and brown C&Js which do not have this flaw. The photos below were taken with a few different lightings in order to give a balanced impression of how they appear to me during the day. Today in the office I looked down and basically saw whitish bands traversing my brand new beautiful C&J Edgwares...

Am I being too precious? At this point I don't think so: after spending the bones of $500AU getting these to me from the UK I think I am entitled to expect a shoe where the integrity and appearance of the leather is not compromised after such a short time. The final image shows the surface most clearly. I don't think it is wax build-up as they have only been waxed by me once, and sparingly to that part of the shoe.

When I received them I noticed they already had creases. Of course we can't expect every shoe to be brand new and unworn, but I wonder whether this has contributed?

If I am being a chocolate cheesepuff about this, tell me. Or is this past the pale of what should be tolerated from a top-drawer bottier?

Thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

Clifford. Love them :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

You're using too much wax, it's cracking everywhere. Get some Saphir Renomat and strip them down, then only use wax on the toe and heel area while you use cream on the rest of the uppers.

15. Marcellionheart

16. Marcellionheart

I agree; too much wax and not enough brushing

17. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

It does resemble wax build up, but this is very unlikely after just a couple of coats. Renomat is totally the wrong product for this issue whatever the cause.

Condition the shoes & apply a single light coat of shoe cream. After this don't apply any products whatsoever for at least 6 wears, but importantly brush your shoes vigorously after each wear; this will ensure a more even distribution of waxes & mitigate the lighter appearance of the creases.

Also the following threads (there are many others) discuss this particular onset of premature lighter coloured creases which has affected c&j shoes, so I guess wesos you are not alone in your experiences.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/118911/c-j-handgrade-leather-quality/30

http://www.styleforum.net/t/186494/dye-c-j-weymouth-black-who

18. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

What? Renomat is just what he needs if it's wax build up, it all depends on how much wax he has used. I've seen people freakin' bath their shoes in wax, and this is always the result.

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

actually, i endorse this look. horses for courses.