• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are few measurements I could locate from the thread. I take it Cleav's shoes are not from Barneys, but perhaps the rest are:

@Cleav

"Don't know if this is helpful but happen to be shining a par of 348 C&J Lowndes- 303mm heel to tip and 107mm at widest point. (11.92 inches for 7.5 UK)"

@Fred G. Unn helped me earlier.
"The sole of my UK9s measure about 12 3/8""

From @papercut earlier this year.
"348 UK8s measure 31 cm (12.2 inches)"

@selvedge8tweed

Mentioned another member has given him measurements for dainite soled 348s in 10US as 12.75

Lots of data. Perhaps part of the problem is that some of these shoes are from Barneys and hence the problem of different sizes!

Anyway, consolidating what I've learned, which might help others.

jssdc

Reaction score
Tweedy: just got home and measured my UK9 348s (purchased on Jermyn St., not Barneys). About 12.5 heel to toe, which lines up with what Fred says above. Or at least within 1/8 inch. The other fellow with the dainite soles would have a larger measurement since C&J edge trimming on dainite is not as close as on leather, or at least it isn't with my Tetburys.

So based in this at any rate I'd say yours are UK9D/US10C.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tweedy: just got home and measured my UK9 348s (purchased on Jermyn St., not Barneys). About 12.5 heel to toe, which lines up with what Fred says above. Or at least within 1/8 inch. The other fellow with the dainite soles would have a larger measurement since C&J edge trimming on dainite is not as close as on leather, or at least it isn't with my Tetburys.

So based in this at any rate I'd say yours are UK9D/US10C.

Thanks @jssdc

Kind of you to do so.

Yours are leather soled, I take it. Mine is a 1/4 in shorter than yours, though (12.25 inches), but stamped 9/4. But I measured with tape touching heel to toe (shoe turned sole facing up). If you did it with tape on floor (so tape is flat), then perhaps you might get a slightly longer measurement. I'll check mine now.

Just need a UK8 bought from England (NOT Barneys) to get the lower bound, and then I think we'll have a concrete range for future buyers to measure from.

Thanks

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
to add to the data-gathering - a full size difference is approximately equal to a difference of 1/3rd inch in length on the same last (its very approximate but I remmeber someone posting a chart of that)

Thanks...this is where I began, with a bit of confusion.

jssdc's shoes are, given their UK provenance, solidly 10US, UK9. So I'm assuming. Mine seem to be 0.25 inches shorter, and they fit me reasonably well (I'm a 9US in Carmina). So I would have thought that I have a 9US 348 as Barneys claims.

But then it's stamped 9/4 in footbed?

Anyway, if we gather some sizes and measurements, this might help others someday deal with Barney's crap sizing. I'll try to summarize the data when it's all in with a title for future posters/searches.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tip to my USA brethren: I live in the USA and order form C&J Jermyn Street regularly (by email/fax/phone). The customer service is great, their stock is unmatched, the pricing is reasonable, the shipping is fast (usually 2 days), and the sizing is consistent. I was in the shoe game for many a year by the time I realized this fact.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tip to my USA brethren: I live in the USA and order form C&J Jermyn Street regularly (by email/fax/phone). The customer service is great, their stock is unmatched, the pricing is reasonable, the shipping is fast (usually 2 days), and the sizing is consistent. I was in the shoe game for many a year by the time I realized this fact.

I know this has been rehashed to death and apologize in advance. Do you get hit with duties and fees or ask for a preferred method to avoid this?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

an earlier post  made me think that when produced for the US market, the "9" would indicate the US size, but when produced for the UK market, it indicates the UK size.

@TweedyProf This has always been my assumption: that the size stamped on the insole is the size for the market for which the shoes are produced. In my experience, it also matches the size printed or handwritten on the lining.

I.e. I'm a US9D on the Brannock and have a pair of BB Peal punch caps on the 240 last size US9D stamped 9-4 on the insole and they fit me as well as my 348 last UK8E C&J Westbourne stamped 8-5.

Furthermore, I had previously confirmed with Mr Huqstable (Manager at C&J Jermyn St at the time) that C&J themselves quote a full size difference US/UK. So a US9D would in fact be a UK8E.

This, despite the conversion any given brand/retailer may use and advertise. Case in point: I have 2 pairs of PRL Tellman (no direct C&J equivalent) on the 337 and a pair of PRL Benton (= C&J Belgrave) on the 337, all US9D.

One of the Tellmans indicates US9D/UK8.5 on the box and I'm pretty sure that is what's written on the Benton box as well. Huqstable stated that if I wanted a C&J Belgrave in the same size as my US9D PRL Benton, I should order a UK8E.

Unfortunately, those 3 have full length sockliners, so can't confirm the insole stamps.

Last edited:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Wes Bourne

Thanks. I feel like we're making some progress. Any chance of getting a measurement of your 8E UK 348s of the sole, heel to toe?

Sure, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

As an aside, while many go by EG's 1/2 size UK/US conversion, i.e. EG labelled 8.5/9E shoes for US9D feet, that doesn't work for me. I take 8/8.5E in EG 888 and 82 lasts. I did own a pair of 8.5/9D 888 shoes and sold them bc they were painfully narrow.

Fwiw, I once asked Hillary Freeman why EG only converts 1/2 size UK/US and she said that the British generally wear closer fitting shoes compared to Murricans who prefer them on the looser side.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey Skye GMTO

GuP

Reaction score

GuP, if you are going to the mainline store, could you ask them about the meaning of the "footbed" stamped sizes. In some shoes, there are markings like "9" and "4". Cheers.

Will next time.

So I drive in to NYC and am excited to visit CJ store. Come to find out CJ closes at 6PM!!!! What kind of retail establishment closes at 6PM?!?!?!? I guess I should have checked the website for store hours, but 6PM? You gotta be kidding me...

Last edited:

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Will next time.

So I drive in to NYC and am excited to visit CJ store. Come to find out CJ closes at 6PM!!!! What kind of retail establishment closes at 6PM?!?!?!? I guess I should have checked the website for store hours, but 6PM? You gotta be kidding me...

6pm sounds quite reasonable to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics