1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Dd1101

Dd1101 Well-Known Member

Work has gone pretty casual nowadays. No more suits or even ties.

I got rid of a lot of my Allen Edmonds balmorals. And one of my favorite shoes is this Bradley shell. Would anyone have reservations wearing this with a light blue or grey suit to a Non evening event like a day wedding.

Got them all cleaned up today [​IMG][/IMG]

2. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. I have to clean up my pair of RL Denver brogues. They need some TLC

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Came to the wrong place for that.

4. MarcoBianco

MarcoBianco Member

5. cnation

cnation Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get a final thought before i buy. i'm a 8d in the alden barrie last, will a 7.5 E in the crockett 335 last be about right?

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Thoughts on C&J belts as far as quality/value? Was thinking about a dark brown grain belt from them. 90 GBP (but I think it would be <$100 USD with no VAT). Would presumably match my Pembrokes and Galway 2s perfectly.

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Do the Tetbury chukjas in leather not suede work with chinos or jeans? Or only wool slacks as they're very sleek.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. tunadubby

tunadubby Member

Dear C&J experts,

This is yet another sizing help request from someone new to shoes. I apologize in advance, but really appreciate your help.

There is an opportunity to purchase shell cordovan plain toe derby (Grasmere, 325 Last). In most circumstance, US 7.5 E is my most comfortable size. Thus ideally, I could choose UK 6.5 F or G, which I think will fit nicely. But unfortunately, I'm restricted to UK E width, the standard width for C&J, which I understand to be just a tad wider than US D width (please correct me if I am wrong).

So, I must pick my poison and choose between UK 6.5 E or UK 7 E; or equivalently choosing between US 7.5 D or US 8D. To help with this decision, I went to a local Allen Edmonds which had derbies in US 7.5D 7.5E and 8D. Specifically, these were the Cliftons in calfskin, in their 108 (or simply #8) last. From my brief research, this last is true to size in the forefoot, but it's rather wide/roomy in the heel. (but I am no expert! please correct me if I'm wrong!)

As expected 7.5E was the ideal fit. 8D had slippage in the heel, and 7.5D was tight in width but no slippage. The tightness of 7.5D is tighter than snug, which was bearable but uncomfortable to walk in without first breaking breaking in.

Given all this, would you recommend UK 7E or UK 6.5E for the C&J Cordovan Grasmere (325 Last)?

Thanks so much!

9. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

Just make sure you are wearing slim jeans/chinos.

1 person likes this.
  10. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get them both!!

11. mockingboy

mockingboy Well-Known Member

12. Afinepairofshoes

Afinepairofshoes Well-Known Member

I think they will now ship worldwide by the looks of it.

13. mockingboy

mockingboy Well-Known Member

It still won't let me bid...

14. shoetree

shoetree Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

I was wondering if anyone could give me their experience with Brooks Brothers Peal 240 last used in their cordovan boots and wing tips vs the 325 last. Do you take the same size in both lasts? Thanks.

15. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

The same size both lasts.

16. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

One last is much tighter than the other. The 240 is good for a low instep, while the 325 is for a higher instep.

Basically, my feet were swimming in the 325 last (by comparison, the 348 last in C&J is perfect for me).

17. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

I take UK 9.5 in 325 last and size 10 on BB cordovan wingtip. They both fit me equally well..

18. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

C&J for BB cordovan wingtip from this week..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.