1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

Nice Pembroke, perfect picture[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. itzgok

itzgok Member

Hello! I know I'm replying to a SUPER old comment, but if you're still around I'd love to get some info on those Peal & Co medallion toe wholecuts in this photo!

1 person likes this.
  3. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Yeah I regret missing out on those too. Beautiful beige or light tan color and I think they are on 240 last.

4. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

Great picture! May I ask what pants and socks you're wearing?

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

Wow. Strangely enough I don't remember much about these, think I sold them around 2009. I don't think they were 240 last though. 240 is much rounder (like #4 in bottom pic).

6. itzgok

itzgok Member

Oh, darn! I was hoping to ask you about quality. See, I recently purchased (what I thought were) the same shoes from Brooks Bros: Peal & Co medallion-toe wholecuts, but in black. This is my first foray into C&J, and the shoes felt unexpectedly plastic-y and smelled very chemical-like. I was wondering if you had the same experience with yours. Of course, there's almost a decade of time between the two pairs, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are entirely different; especially as you've already expressed your belief that they are on a completely different last.

Here are some photos of the Peal&Co's I purchased. http://imgur.com/a/NrrJM

Wondering why they would feel so plastic-y. Also, none of the AEs I have (even the cheap Nordstrom Rack models) ever had a chemical smell to them. Thoughts?

On a personal note... Your shoe collection is something to aspire to! Bravo!

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

No they were not plasticky. Absolutely creamy, rich, supple, full grain natural goodness. Sorry for your loss.

8. itzgok

itzgok Member

Ugh! Breaks my heart to hear that! So sad that Peal & Co didn't keep their quality standards up over the years. Guess I'll need to shell out even more dough if I want a true pair of C&Js. Thanks for all of the info!

9. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!!

Thank you! The socks are from Mazarin (purchased via Mes Chaussettes Rouges) and the trousers are from Epaulet.

1 person likes this.
  10. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Great pic. What products (if any) do you use on them?

11. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Grain Lindricks today.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I need these in my life.

1 person likes this.
  13. insy

insy Well-Known Member

Isn't the lacing way too tight? Does that not indicate the shoes being too long/big/wide for your feet?

I often times have that issue and pretty much notice heel slippage once I have to lace them up as much as you did.

14. pediwear

pediwear Well-Known Member

Think this must only have been temporary. They all seem to tie in now?

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr Clemson

@TommyB - I told you wrong yesterday. Those particular socks are by Bresciani. My apologies

@BackInTheJox - Nothing so far! I'll have to figure that out when it's time to shine them up. Not sure what I'll use...

@insy - These are right on the brink of being too full around my foot. The length is perfect, however, and I have zero heel slippage so they wear great. If they were any fuller, then I'm sure they would slip.

16. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

Mr. Clemson and Zippyh just killing it. The C&J website should post links to your photos. Beautiful shoes (and +1 for Epaulet pants).

2 people like this.
  17. mschachter7

mschachter7 New Member

Agree its too big - the laces should be slightly apart, if not the shoe will never fit right once it stretches with wear later at which point no amount of tight lacing will help. I made the same mistake several times and have too many shoes that have heel slip. Its going to be expensive sizing down everything..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  18. Mr Clemson

Well, I'm worried that if I size down the length will be too short. I'm also located in the US, so it's more difficult to try on, return, and exchange from an overseas shop. I guess I could always try a thin insole if/when needed. Having said that, now I'm worried that I should size down another 1/2 for the two pre-orders that I'm signed up for with the same 325 last..?

19. insy

insy Well-Known Member

Which leather is that? Looks like Tärnsjö? Regardless, if it's a soft one, they will stretch a lot and heel slippage will follow.

I found the leather really matters a lot, even when it's the same last.

20. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

IHello! From my experience, I have a pair of Pembroke, and with the same leather, scotch grain, but in dark brown, I have not experienced any problem and I have used for a year without stop. Usually in the CJ I use last 348 (Hallam, Tetbury, Norwich), in 10.5 UK, but in 325 I use 11 UK. Despite of having a little more space the fit is perfect, not slippage nor stretch.

Cheers.