1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mica2015

Mica2015 Well-Known Member

Quick sizing question: anyone take half a size down on last 341 off your normal size?

I wear last 360 and 348 on UK 7.5, but on Sydney loafer last 341, I take UK 7.

I am guessing my size my on Newquay suede derby on last 341, any advice is welcome.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. NickDH

NickDH Member

For what it's worth - It doesn't feel like the City Sole will have more grip.

It is marginally thinner than the Dainite, but you'd struggle to tell from a distance.

The C&J factory (where I saw them), said it was developed as some people felt the Dainite wasn't "dressy" enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Active Member

I got a pair of "Sydney" loafers on the 341 last. Took my normal size. Really like the fit.

4. NickDH

NickDH Member

How are people finding the 348 last - Specifically the Alex vs the Tetbury.

The Alex fits nicely - Almost "snug" I'd say - But certainly not tight.

The Tetbury seems the same in the width, but the length seems a bit longer.

I've stuck an old insole in there which fills the boot out a bit more. Am I being too premature in this, should I leave them without an insole first?

5. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I can't wear Oxford on 348 (too tight on toebox) but Tetbury works, not sure if it's any longer just feel more volume (so I would guess width?)

6. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I have 348 double monks in 8.5 that are great, 358 oxfords in 8.5 that have slightly too much room (although people have said before that HG fit larger), but my 8.5 Tetbury's are insanely too big. Wish I had never bought them (or at least had done so in a 7.5).

7. NickDH

NickDH Member

I tried on the half size smaller in the shop (a UK 10.5), and found them to be very tight from the off.

It felt too tight to loosen enough to ever be comfortable.

I think the 11 is the right size, I just need to get used to the extra length.

8. insy

insy Well-Known Member

The Tetbury looks awesome but as said, it is too long and therefore I had too much heel slippage. Yea, you could get used to it but common, you should be fully happy with your shoes at such a price.

9. NickDH

NickDH Member

For me, it's more the fact I had a bad experience with a 10.5 Connaught, and as I'm relatively new to the "decent footwear" market, I'm still finding my feet - Pardon the pun.

I'll see how it goes with the Tetbury - It's supremely comfortable, and I'm probably over thinking it more than I need.

10. BenzBenz

BenzBenz New Member

Hi, everyone
    I am new here + was an Alden fan for half of my life
    last month I did put an order on Cardigan4 - I have to say "splendid" shape&construction definitely will be my (New)favorite brand.

Cardigan4 Shell Cordovan UK10 (335 Last)
    giving me perfect length and snug fit - with little pinch on my pinky at the end of the day
    I believe the pinch will be disappear after the shoes was breaking-in properly, yes?

My next pair will be walk-all-day shoes to pair with denim so my selection of choice is "Durham (325 Last)"
    My question is what size should I go for "Durham (325 Last)", Is it UK10?
    same as Cardigan4 (as the Crockett&Jones's online store have told me)
    or UK10.5 will be more comfortable since 325 Last is a touch smaller than 335 Last.

I am perfectly fit both Length&Width in Alden PTB (Barrie Last) US10.5E

Thank you,

11. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

I've just got an e-mail from the C&J with their new Winter styles, and indeed it appears they have altered even their iconic 314 rounded last the Boston was made on (Hopefully only for this style). It's now designated as the 376 last ..

It looks like their new lasts are gravitating toward more Italian (a bit elongated) look.

I had a trouble getting the pairs there already in classically English, softly curved lasts .. Bought the Connaught, Boston, Coniston and Islay so far .. However I don't think I will be able to select anything else beside those styles considering my taste. Even the Church's now have more classic selection of lasts .. Better I start saving for the final transition to the Edward Green 202 last.

12. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I don't see the change you are talking about.
    Their elongated last are perfectly suited for handgrade styles, really like the new 373 last.
    Except 348 last (which is a best seller) all their other lasts are quintessentially british, imo.

376 looks very similar to 314, very difficult to find a difference from pictures.

They introduced also a new tassel last, the 375 which looks very similar to EG 184, but it isn't in the catalogue yet , see my post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/227575/...thread-reviews-quality-etc/11910#post_8538367

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  13. gotribe

gotribe Well-Known Member

How long ago did C&J stop making Lincoln loafers? I see a few pairs in black on Rakuten that appear to be deadstock but otherwise seems completely unavailable.

14. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

IIRC around 3/4 years ago, it was available only on 314 F width Last

15. heelguy

heelguy Well-Known Member

PSA-Frans Boone has some great deals on C&J at 50% off. I just got the Atherstone in mink suede at amazing price.

16. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

The prices I see don't seem to be discounted. Did you have a code? Or did the sale just end?

17. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

The code is Final50% , it works also for Tricker's

Amazing deals

18. Astaroth

Astaroth Well-Known Member

Really like the 373 too but not the shoe options/ leather combinations being made on. Fairford is the only option I'd seriously consider but dont have need for either tan nor black brogues (and unfortunately my shoe collection is still based on need)

The 375 is used on the SS2016 Lichfield but its a slightly odd brogued tassle loafer - not sure which catalogue you are refering to though.

19. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I did not noticed that the new 375 was already used for a stock model, thanks for the heads up.

I was talking of the Cavendish 3 made for Frame JP in this last, thinking it could replace the Cavendish 2 in the next future.

20. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

@heelguy
    Looks like you got lucky (if they decide to post you the shoes) as they have blocked the complete C&J page now .. I don't remember they had such a massive sale in their history ..