1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of 10uk in January black suede and is amazing unfortunately the laces broke worn 3 times so I haven't been wearing them. I'm going to be however selling them, I'm in Los Angeles and bought it from c&j in New York.

2. SummerofLove

SummerofLove Well-Known Member

That's cool. I will definitely consider yours depending on the sizing advice. Do you have spare black C&J chukka laces. Also, please post any pictures you have.

I am in California as well. SF Bayarea.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Tough question to answer quickly... All relatively accessible with trees and in bags. I choose based on what I'm doing in the day and then often it is dictated by what I am wearing from the top down i.e. today golfing so no tie or jacket for the club afterwards so probably Pembrokes with chinos. Tomorrow we're all going to a christening so depending on the weather may be wearing a jacket and tie so probably suede Chukkas or EG Camden or EG Galway. Monday and Tuesday back to work (in court) in a suit so black oxfords day one are likely.

The other thing to say is that I can be lazy and go for the nearest shoes too. For example with our weather recently the Pembrokes are getting plenty of miles. That being said is there a subconscious decision to pick the most comfortable shoe?

I do own shoes that are not being worn with any regularity, but of course there will always be one day when they are the only shoe for the job (!) so to be honest I suppose any reasonable offer for those would be considered

Sorry not a more interesting answer though thanks for making me think about it. :satisfied:

2 people like this.
  4. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Well-Known Member

Sounds a little bit like what I do, but on a much larger scale!

I also had you down as a 100% C&J guy for some reason so was surprised to see EG get a mention..

Agree on the Pembrokes - they are one my my top 3! Nice not having to think what the changing weather could do to a fine leather sole.

1 person likes this.
  5. NewStart

NewStart Well-Known Member

Haha, it is safer to label @Cleav as the 100% Englishshoes gent (may be?) - you have no idea what he has in his arsenal.
    (I prob have just seen the surface myself)

6. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Great shoe, I'm a late convert in that back in the day I thought them too clompy. Foolish indeed.

Yep, I only have english shoes in Lobb, EG, C&J, Alfred Sargent etc The only shoes made overseas are my Footjoys and Eccos for golf. I nearly bought a pair EG golf shoes (spectator) recently though I couldn't face wearing them in some of the tight spots I find myself in!

PS just remembered I do own Carmina, RM Williams and may be more too :embar:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

PPS Old school Grensons :)

1 person likes this.
  8. NewStart

NewStart Well-Known Member

Are you sure no Church, Trickers, Loake, Barker ?

These were where I started[​IMG]

9. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Ermm no. Had church/cheaney/herring and .... feck you make me think too much :satisfied:

I'll just go and check....

10. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Well-Known Member

Both the black and dark brown are nice and versatile; go with the one you like more you won't go wrong with either.

The 348 in E fits very similar to the Rain and Inca. Since you are a 10UK in the Rain and Inca I would recommend going with 10UK in the Tetbury. In fact I own the Tetbury in the dark brown suede and take the same size in my Inca double monk and size up a half for the Simpson cap toe so we are in the same boat.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Barker Black? Skull and crossbones thing? Sold without wearing I think...

As was some trickers boots. omg, no wonder we live under a bridge!

I'll just go and check....

1 person likes this.
  12. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I find the 348 in UK E is closer to Simpson as its a low instep last.

13. SummerofLove

SummerofLove Well-Known Member

I see. I am still leaning toward 10UK though as I have read that the 348 UK E Tetbury tends to stretch and is a elongated last.

14. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Well-Known Member

Go with the 10UK. The 10.5UK will feel more comfortable initially but you'll likely feel some heel slippage whereas the 10UK will be snug in the heel and only get more comfortable with wear.

1 person likes this.
  15. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Alex my man. Thank you for the post. 302 does indeed look very similar. Either was I love my C&J makeups and really do appreciate the insight. Have a wonderful Sunday Sir and your attire is splendid as usual.. I no longer have a formal job to attend to so I wear mostly casual attire, corduroy-denim-khaki and of course very light weight cotton trousers and shorts as it can get pretty warm here (Sonoran Desert).

16. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. benf

benf Well-Known Member

Hi @cleav, I'm considering a pair of these in dark brown. Can you give me some ideas what they are like, such as:-

- quality of the suede. Is it soft? And how does it compare to, say the EG shanklin?
    - is it comfortable? (since you have three, guess there's the answer)
    - i'm an UK8E in the 348 last. is the 200 last similar fit even though the default width is 'D'? Or should I size down 1/2 size as some have suggested?

Will also search the forum for other reviews.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

The suede is very soft, I also have EG suede which is as luxurious not to mention comfortable. The chukka can 'nip' a bit at the end of the day whereas the Chukka 3 doesn't for some reason. Fit issues are of course different for us all so advice should be taken lightly. Whilst I appreciate it is not always easy for some to do trying different lasts is the best way forward.

You're welcome :)

19. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

20. vestbash

vestbash Well-Known Member