1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Well-Known Member

And... I'm in NYC 6/12 - 6 /17 [​IMG]

2. yeknal

yeknal Well-Known Member

For want it's worth I wear the same size Cavendish as my 348 and 337 lasted shoes. The Cavendish Is on the 325 last not the 363 correct?

3. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the Hartland Earth Green Suede Chukka (pic below) in the wild? I need a good comfortable walking boot for travels to wear with jeans or dress pants this fall and was looking at the Tetbury or Milton in chocolate brown suede cause the 348 last fits me well but curious which boot would be the most comfortable for lots of walking? Hartland is on the 359 last.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

The Wycombe is indeed labeled 8.5 and 4 on the insole.I would have to estimate that, based on the fit, its at least a 9 US if not a 9.5 US

5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

This is getting confusing. If I order a size 10 from the Barney's website, is it a 9UK or 9.5UK?

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I've given up figuring out Barney's sizing unless I can try them on. My Barney's Wicklows are US = UK +1 but my other experiences have been erratic. A US9.5D Tetbury from Barney's was both longer and more narrow than my other 3 pairs of 348 last shoes in UK9E. It was almost like it was a UK9.5D.

1 person likes this.
  7. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

This is confusing.

You would think that the labeling in the insole would be consistent, and that the only change would occur on the packaging. So a shoe with an 8/4 on the insole in England would be the same size as a shoe with an 8/4 on the insole in the US, regardless of what the retailer chioses to market as the size.

8. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

while it is confusing, it might actually be consistent in this case. Based on the fit, it very well could be a UK 8.5D which would correspond with the insole markings. The confusing part is that one would think a shoe from Barneys would be in US sizing.

Now the Cavendish on the other hand is labeled as a 9D and is definitely a half size down from the Wycombe. So I'm assuming they properly adjusted the sizing for that pair. Unfortunately, the insole liner is covering up where the markings should be to confirm this.

I think this is more of a Barneys issue with how they label the shoes inconsistently.

9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Anyone have a lead on a good belt match for tan scotch grain? I know C&J have one that I'm sure is a good match but it's almost $300. I got a brown chromexcel scotch grain one from EPaulet but it's too dark.

10. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

I am considering a pair of Crockett and Jones SWBs. I wear a 9E in Alden/AEs. My question relates to English shoes. Would I still be an E width or do I need to upsize to F?

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Which last?

12. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Even without all the confusion I would think you would figure in last to the equation also.

14. Noremedy

Noremedy Active Member

New Pair of Boston's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

^Sweet style. I have a pair in Dark Brown Suede. Amazing value for the money .. Though I wouldn't be wearing a black loafer. Had the John Lobb Lopez in Black Calf once. It's a tricky to combine. Looks too formal for the casual outfit, yet without enough punch for the suit.

16. IGotId

IGotId Well-Known Member

A couple of questions,

What size in a Barneys C&J boot should I order if I wear 9 in an Islay & Conniston?

Also what products do you all recommend for cleaning/polishing the two? (the Conniston is a cognac-ish color)

[​IMG]

17. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Been debating getting the Whiskey Harvard for a few weeks now. In pics at least I love the color of C&J's whiskey, sort of a mix of Alden's whiskey and ravello. I am wondering how the 314 last fits compared to the 325? I have fat, flat feet and from what I have read, the 314 is somewhat generous in width but at the expense of a loose heel.

For anyone that has that model, can you comment on the fit compared to the 325 last or Alden's barrie? Barrie fits me about perfect, the 325 is almost as good but not quite.

Also would love to see any pics of the Whiskey harvards with some wear on them... I don't mind some shell rolls for sure but just curious how they age.

18. Gilmour

Gilmour Well-Known Member

19. Gilmour

Gilmour Well-Known Member

I bought from here
    http://www.equusleather.co.uk/

20. DrNik

DrNik Member

I need some advice. I have been breaking in my Islay, wearing about every other day for the past 4 weeks and I'm undecided on the fit for me.

The boots were snug across the width initially and and have stretched out comfortably but I am concerned that my heels lift and rub to point of causing small blisters as I I flex my foot. I must add that it has improved as the sole has become more flexible.

For reference, my large toenail ends at the 5th and 6th hole punches of broguing (1inch) from the end, if that makes sense and the imprint of my heel on inner sole starts about 1cm from the end.

Does it sound like I should have taken a half size smaller? I have worn a larger size and they felt voluminous.

See below for photos, hopefully showing flex point and what I mean by the 5th and 5th ' brogue punches':

[ATTACHMENT=11240]image.jpg (650k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=11241]image.jpg (584k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=11242]image.jpg (658k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]