1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

I would keep them.

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

And how! My preference for long lasts and wingtip toe boxes has brought this to my attention most clearly. I can't take it when the first crease is anywhere into the wingtip - makes me very unhappy.

3. Siwash

Siwash Well-Known Member

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

C&J for RL penny

[​IMG]

5. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

sure, would make me either. almost none of the people, who buy rtw have them individually fitted. probably because it seems that there are not too many places in the u.s., who are able to do it. working on the fit is a ongoing thing for me. it's essential imo. maybe, i'm to obsessed with it and am going to far, but i shake my head when peoplde do not understand why there shoes do not fit although it's totally obvious.

on the other hand some people here wear orthotics and i have seen pictures of them, oh well.

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

congrats to the new wheels.

what does it mean? a low arch means flat feet for me, but there must be something else. thanks.

7. dandie

dandie Well-Known Member

Speaking on behalf of and to the low arch population, I have many pairs of 348/358 lasted shoes, and they are perfectly fine - don't be put off by the high brow high archers looking down at us!

8. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fritzl, I do mean flat footed --or low arch. Dandie, I am suprised they work as well for you--but that is really cool. In contrast, Aldens are made for low instep (I am guessing, flat-footed) Americans. It takes quite a bit more volume to fill up a C&J shoe. I like the high instep in the C&J, it makes for a very comfortable shoe for me.

In regard to fit, I think the 348 benchgrade last is not quite idetical to the 358 handgrade. The 358 appears just a skosh longer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  9. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

holy moly. pm sent.

10. dandie

dandie Well-Known Member

I just compared my 348 Lowndes and 358 Selbourne sole to sole, and if there is a difference, it is too small for me to see with the naked eye.

Safe to say you will be the same size in one as you are in the other, though I go down half a size if it is a derby (eg brunswick) compared to an oxford.

11. Gaillimh Abu

Gaillimh Abu Well-Known Member

Posted this on quick questions but i should have put it here. Bought a pair of C&J Chelsea boots last Friday, they felt OK in the store but after wearing them a couple of days i have noticed a problem.
    The left boot felt loose compared with the right, this was really odd to me as it's my left foot that is actually the bigger of the two so this side is usually a perfect fit. I had a look at them and placed two insoles which measure exactly the same into each boot and noticed there is a difference in size. The top area feels fine but around the heel it seems the left boot is longer, being chelsea boots this also throws off the fit of the shaft too. I tried an insole but it just makes the boot tight around my toe area and does little for the heal area. Do you think i have reason here for an exchange or repair if possible?
    Would this be considered a manufacturing fault or do they have tolerance for this kind of issue? It doesn't feel right at all, wearing them now and its like two different boots although both are a 9E.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Best asking C&J that one I think.

13. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Well-Known Member

Popped into Jermyn street but apparently these are not stocked in UK; gutted.

14. Gaillimh Abu

Gaillimh Abu Well-Known Member

Will be calling the store i got them from on Monday. I really hope it can be resolved because I love the boots and had planned on picking up a few different models in future.

15. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

17. Jaggs

Jaggs Well-Known Member

Gentlemen of vast C&J knowledge, I am hoping to join the ranks of the C&J owners, however I'm not sure how to handle my 13A feet. I'd like to start with a pair of Hallam or Westbourne on the 348 and I would appreciate some advice from those with more experience. Should I size down a half or a full size to compensate for the (relative) width of the E fitting? My only eperience with an 'elongated' last is the AE 5 with a 13B.

Cheers!

18. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

With a narrow foot you should be able to size down a full size at least. You might well be able to size down 1.5 sizes.

The 348 is a long lasted shoe - you've considered how that will work in your larger size?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  19. bgk

bgk Member

Looking into Chelsea 5 and wondering what 335 fits like and how it looks in wild. Anyone have knowledge how it compares with Alden Barrie last? Am an 8d normally, 7.5d in Barrie and 7e in cj 337. For casual shoe though I like a bit more bulbous like Barrie, or similar to tricker Winston (4497s last)..Thanks.

20. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

I remember someone linking something like this before, but there is a Japanese website with excellent true color photos of C&J at all angles.

http://www.taraxa.jp/product-list/59

Click one of the links under the description for each collection.