1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

oops, I'm sorry I meant 236 not 326.

2. sleepyinsanfran

3. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no help on sizing advice, but I do have a colleague with Church Consuls - he has had loads of quality issues in roughly two years if ownership (upper cracking, three resoles, faulty stitching). Now, everyone's mileage varies, but he and I had very similar routines during this period (we both lived and worked in central DC) and I still have the BG C&Js that I bought at the same time.

4. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

@jssdc Thanks for the input. Looks like there's no love on SF for a reason after Prada took over the Church's. I also heard some horror stories with one of their shoes lately. Maybe a Connaught would be a safer bet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  5. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

6. mxgreen

mxgreen Well-Known Member

7. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

Yes. Sorry. My bad. 330 last. Anyway, how come only Ban Silver stock them?

8. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

They are really nice. Whitehall used to be part of the handgrade collection a while ago but C&J discontinued it. However retailers can order any model from C&J extensive database of model I guess.

9. NewStart

NewStart Well-Known Member

I have both, the Consul definitely have more rounded toe (more bulky). Connaught look much sleeker.

Generally, I prefer C&J to Church's but I have to admit that among all the Oxford I have ever had, the Consul are the most comfortable and for some reason I do think that they are of better quality (even compare to EG Chelsea)

10. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

@NewStart Thank you. Do you have a pre-prada era version? Any chance you might snap a quick photo next to each other?

11. pwc008

pwc008 Active Member

I have reviewed the posts on this page of this thread and have the following comments.

1. I find the Connaughts narrow. The right shoe required 2 stretchings to make it wearable, but once so, my pair is very comfortable.

2. I do not have any C&J on the 337, but I am a 9 in my Westfields and a 9 in the Portman 3. My Connaughts are a U.S. 10D, bought at Barneys. Whether these are simply a UK 9E marked as a 10D or not is an open question to me, as I have heard competing responses.

3. I am a UK 9.5F on the AS 109 last; I have one, the Stiles.

4. My local cobbler let me try on a pair of Consuls he had in a UK 9.5F and they fit me.

So, to sum up, I am a UK 9E in C&J; UK 9.5F in Church's and a UK 9.5F in AS.

My right foot is larger (wider - and visually so) than my left and I have a very high arch and a very high instep on both feet.

I find the 236 last to be narrow and I would not buy shoes in that last again. I find the 240 C&J last (which now seems to be in use exclusively for BB and BS) to be exceedingly comfortable and NOT narrower overall. I have the Peal monk and the wholecut in the 240.

12. NewStart

NewStart Well-Known Member

I trust that my Consul is post Prada. Unfortunately, I left these 2 pairs at two different offices, hence pictures would not be feasible in the near future.

Btw, I agree that 330 is one of the best lasts that C&J ever produced. I was lucky enough to get a pair of Downing (as in my avatar) before they discontinued this last.

I will definitely jump in if Ben Silver re stock this.

http://www.bensilver.com/The-Downing-Wingtip-In-Burgundy,1659.html#.VKxU7yusVp1

13. sleepyinsanfran

the barneys connaughts might be on the UK 'd' widths or might be made on an entirely different last than the pediwear connaughts (I don't have experience with teh barneys version), but you can get them in wider (F) widths at pediwear (and other stockists I presume)... in any case, an email to C&J would clarify how close (or not) the 236 is to the peal 240 last

14. Lowndes

Lowndes Well-Known Member

Anybody have the Barrington 2 or have seen them in person? I'm looking for a new C&J to go with my Lowndes and Weymouth but unfortunately moved to a place where I can't find a spot to try them out in person.

Edit: here is a link to the shoes

http://m.crockettandjones.com//product/barrington-tan

15. Dave13

Dave13 Member

No pics, I'm afraid, but for years Consuls have been my benchmark.
    I have a pre-Prada 1990 pair, and 2005 and 2010 pairs (yeah, dot.com dress-down in the intervening years) but while they are Ok, these days, I'd look at C&J or AS Armfield.

It's all covered here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/the-quintessential-dress-shoe-black-cap-toe-oxford

16. hbarradah

hbarradah Member

Cranford 3 in action. [​IMG]T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  17. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Well shit. Went ahead and ordered them but evidently someone must have been in store at the same time purchasing the last pair of 8.5s. They offered an 8 as an alternative but I'm north sure that makes sense. 8.5 in the 358 fits me ok (it's certainly not bad but I wouldn't call it perfect) and given the length I would assume that the 337 would either be the same or a half size up. I'm in London tomorrow and Friday so I may see if I can find the time to go try the 337 on in person....although to be frank I hate wasting the SA's time.

18. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Anybody up for a huge C&J PSA?

Before I unleash the frenzy, can you guys give me some advice on the C&J lasts?

Specifically, I have a low instep and the 348 fits great. But how's the instep on the 359 and 363?

If it helps, I also wear simpson in Carmina.

19. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Well-Known Member

Give it up! Quit teasing.

Q: Do you wear same size in Simpson as 348? I am also low instep and love both of these, and in the same size.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  20. dkmm1981

dkmm1981 Member

Someone give the man some sizing advice.