1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Well-Known Member

Just the label. It's actually the Cardigan 4...so this is the fourth iteration?? I think someone posted the shell version awhile back.

http://crockettandjones.com/product/cardiogan-4-darkbrown-cordovan

2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

C&J likes to use place names for their products. Not sure why this would be named after a town in south Wales though :-/

3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Where's Grenville then?

5. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Having doubts about keeping my Islays at 13E. Will decide over the next week. Either they go on Ebay for sale as New (w/ box) or I keep them.

The fit is good especially with thick socks or an insole as discussed on the last page; just not sure I can get past them being 0.5 to 0.75" longer than all of my other US 13's. The UK 11.5 / US 12.5 size would be perfect I feel, but Paul Stuart doesn't carry this half size and wasn't part of the sale. Doesn't appear Barney's carries the 12.5 size either. Doubt I'd purchase 12.5 at full value if I sell the 13s.

Decisions, decisions. Man I love the look of these boots. Katch worded it perfectly a week ago, "The last is not slim or tapered and these should not be confused with dressy boots. These can be your coolest sh-t kickers and also cleaned up to go out. I really like them"

6. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Wear them with thick socks and maybe put a thicker insole in. They are gorgeous. I went to bloomimgdales and saw too boot dbl
    Monks for 425. These are 3x the shoe. If you can make them work do it.

That may be me being bitter that i ordered them and they canceled my order because they didnt have my size in stock

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  7. hoit1981

Well if you decide to let them go at any point, PM me first please!

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

George Grenville was the British PM that tried to fleece the American colonists with illegal (direct/revenue-raising) taxes following the French and Indian War. Most famous for his Stamp Act, this measure galvanized American momentum and unity leading to its ultimate decision to separate from Britain. Beautiful shoe for a not-so-popular figure in US history... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  9. hoit1981

OK, places and people?

Interested to see what the forthcoming sales will bring.

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Nah, that was a Grenville but not the one in question.

More importantly I'm in for boots or the Clarendon. Not holding my breath for a deal!

11. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Check first whether it's actually nubuck or rough-out as they've previously referred to that leather as the latter.

No idea about nubuck, but some people treat rough-out with Sno-seal or dubbin of some other form. I haven't bothered with my rough-out Snowdons as I like the lighter shades of brown that come through as the creases form in the rough-out - dubbin will darken these although add an extra layer of water resistance.

12. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Well-Known Member

Nice boots congratulations but is called rough-out leather if I am not wrong as I tried these at the Purdey shop myself a while ago!

13. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Farhad,
    you are right. I would have preferred a ridgeway soles with these but I will not complain.

14. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.

15. Cesare1970

Cesare1970 Active Member

Today, polo suede Alex. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Pm me also if you're considering letting them go. I tried on the 12UK in london, which I think is what you have, and it fit me well. Remember though that the boots are generous fitting.

Also, when I was in London, they didn't have the boot in and F width (wider than standard), but they did have 11.5E UK. If you really loved them, and 12UK isn't the right fit, you should consider ordering right from C&J. It's gonna be a bit more expensive sure, but over the life of the boot (hopefully 10+ years) it won't make a huge difference. You'll wear them more and like them more if they fit.

17. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

1 year old Ralph Lauren Lindrick boots and flannel trousers for Christmas dinner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    5 people like this.
  18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Beautiful!! Merry Christmas and enjoy those fine boots often and in great health!

19. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

^Much appreciated. My mistake on the model, these are the Lindrick grain, not Marlow.

20. azumi

azumi Well-Known Member

I'm wondering between the Lonsdale and the Audley for my formal black oxford, the different is the last only as far as I know (363 vs 337). Can anyone please give me some suggestion?