1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

They are C&J I saw them today, just didn't look at the last.

2. katch

katch Well-Known Member

The last is not slim or tapered and these should not be confused with dressy boots. These can be your coolest sh-t kickers and also cleaned up to go out. I really like them.

F you all

3. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

4. Skell6009

Skell6009 Well-Known Member

What sizes were available at the NY store? The same as the website? I'm thinking about checking them out tomorrow to figure out my sizing.

5. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Didn't look at sizes.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic! So ... what brand is this? Oval likely is AS, right? (Definitely not C&J) The #s don't correspond to anything I recognize though. Any ideas?

7. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

^^Grenson Masterpiece

The suede derby boots are C&J

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  8. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

:cheers: Thanks!

9. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Well Von Franz, hoit1981, and others; thank you for the tips and advice as I have gone ahead and ordered the CJ Islays in 13/12!!! These will be my first Crockett & Jones shoes/boots, can't wait to try them on.

The EXPRESS14 discount works on the fed ex 1-3 days by crediting it $22. That shipping is $22+10 so not free shipping, but still saved some money there too. All in was like $460 since Illinois pays tax.

I really hope these fit well. As boots I'm more flexible using thicker socks if needed. Worst case I head into a Chicago store and return.

Signs were pointing to buy, including my wife buying pot pie for dinner today haha! Made In England. Not to mention looking at some more pictures of them in this thread and online. It was an easy decision haha now I have my Xmas gift.

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Hey VF,
    I didn't mean to call you out/challenge you on the last. Just trying to figure out what I would be getting into if I bought these boots. The 325 is problematic for me, and since this is a sale item, they will not do refunds if the sizing is off. I do appreciate your time and help.
    All the best...
    RTP

11. Von Franz

Von Franz Well-Known Member

Oh, hey, no offense taken, RTP.

Sorry if I seemed defensive. I'm not sure why I didn't just edit that post down to the belief that they are, in fact, on the 365 last once I spotted the asymmetry, to be honest.

At any rate, I understand your concern, and it's a valid one. These types of things can be a real gamble if all the info's not pinned down.

On the bright side, should you decide to spring for them and find that the last isn't correct, you may find that the resale value on here or eBay is equal to or higher than what PS is charging now.

-VF

(BTW, that devil smiley looks awfully mean in hindsight. Meant it much more lightly, as in "devilish grin." Sorry 'bout that.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

No worries my friend... we are better than good! Thanks...

13. Von Franz

Von Franz Well-Known Member

14. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Well-Known Member

How is the quality on these?

15. apack

apack Well-Known Member

Quality of Grenson Masterpiece for PS is normally excellent. I haven't handled those particular boots though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  16. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Quality of Grenson Masterpiece for PS is normally excellent. I haven't handled those particular boots though.[/quote]

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

Next to EG Dark Oak
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  17. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

I decided to try these out. I'll try to report back with pics and sizing comments when they arrive. Is there any chance these are not C&J?

18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dodging the showers here, unseasonably warm too!

19. ScottMC

ScottMC Well-Known Member

I recently acquired the Peal and Co. Cordovan Boot, which as you can see is the identical model only in Cordovan. They are definitely C&J. Made on the 240 last which is apparently a custom last for Brooks Brothers. The 240 fits almost identically to the 325, in my opinion. Very well made and comfortable out of the box. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Umm,
    http://www.paulstuart.com/faqs.cfm#ReturnPolicy
    "Reduced price merchandise purchased online or by telephone is not refundable
    and will only be considered for a Merchandise Credit if returned within 21 days."

Still a good deal and worth the fit gamble.