1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I thought balmorals = oxfords. Didn't know there was a difference between them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. claes500

claes500 Well-Known Member

Yes in the US you guys say Balmorals and mean oxfords as in derby = bluchers

in the UK it is my understanding that balmorals is an oxford but specifically one with a horizontal seam along the ankle as opposed to the regular cap toe oxford.

Balmoral:

[​IMG]

Regular Cap toe:

[​IMG]

3. Winston S.

I understood it to mean that oxfords/balmorals all have closed lacing as opposed to a derby/blucher which have open lacing.

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

I don't like too many of G&G's shoes, but this one is :nodding:

5. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

In the U.S., people say balmorals to refer to all oxfords. In the UK, a balmoral is a subtype of oxford that has the horizontal seam. Probably easier on these international forums to stick to the UK lingo to avoid confusion.

6. Winston S.

Thanks for the clarification. That's plenty confusing considering Americans already use oxfords as a general term for all lace up dress shoes.

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for the clarification. There's so much to learn but it's fun!

8. dab3z

dab3z Member

My first pair of C&J. Actually my first pair of higher end shoes period. Very impressed with the quality. Picked them up in the Brooks Brothers sale for around $350.

Peal & Co Tweed and Leather Boots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. claes500

claes500 Well-Known Member

10. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Well-Known Member

picked up a pair of drummonds from C&J NY today. I wear a 8.5 in the westbourne (348 Last) but had to go with an 8 in the drummond even though they're on the same last.

[​IMG]

11. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Interesting. What prompted you to size down? Or what's the fitting difference between the two pairs? U-throat and oxford differs that much?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  12. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Well-Known Member

^ I was a bit surprised myself at the downsize but I felt that the 8.5 in the drummond had way too much heel slip. The 8 was a bit tight widthwise at first but is breaking in comfortably.

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I saw someone on ebay describe a plain toe blucher as a cap toe balmoral yesterday. that one amused me.

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

this is a recent refurbish job with all the bells and whistles, except the boulevard toe plates.

[​IMG]

it's the angular position, the size, the nails and the degree of hardness of the rubber piece.

hope that helps.

15. Winston S.

Can you just get the rubber piece replaced or does the whole heel need to be replaced when the rubber wears out or does everything wear evenly? I think that would be something I would be interested in if I only had to replace it say twice a year.

16. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

Greetings and happy new year to everyone.

A few weeks ago while in NY I purchased my first pair of C&J: Pembroke (tan country grain, dainite sole). It is on the 325 last and fits great.

More recently I purchased the Boston grain in the same size but have found the shoe to be slightly too small. Does anyone have any recommendations for sizing the 314 relative to the 325?

Unfortunately I do not live anywhere close to the C&J store so going in and trying on various sizes of the loafer isn't an option.

Cheers, and thank you in advance

17. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

18. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Well you've been busy recently, haven't you?

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

imo, it depends on the condition of the leather piece and from my experience they don't wear evenly. the leather is definitely more resistant.

i cannot remember, when i had to change the leather, despite of thrift founds or restoration projects.

imo, if you're are careful and you're watching the wear on the rubber you can save serious bucks. understood that the material and the making of the heel was dedicated to the highest quality standards.

20. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Idle minds are the devil's workshop.