1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

Oh they went up alright. I'd been eyeing those too. I think they were like 325 GBP or something. They were a fair amount below the leather version.

2. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Ahh, I didn't realize; thanks for the correction!

3. Giannis

Giannis Well-Known Member

To my unterstanding it should be normal for nubuck shoes to be priced as the calf leather ones as nubuck is better and more expensive than suede ( outer vs inner part of the leather ) I always liked nubuck leather but very few use it

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. budapest12

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought the price was lower for those. At any rate, it is now (whether the price was raised or not).

5. jas0nt

jas0nt Well-Known Member

Has a filter been applied to that photo? If not, gorgeous colour you've got going in those suedes.

6. SW1Y

SW1Y Well-Known Member

Red blinds in front of the windows on a very very bright day... However, these are indeed darker than the Polo Belgrave's you would see in any of the C&J stores. This pair might have been one from an older batch perhaps, and they haven't had any outings in a long time either.

7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

They still look like a unworn pair, Cleav. They are happy shoes. Rejects got their revenge!

9. razl

razl Well-Known Member

You keep chipping away at my resistance to adelaides...

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

razl, it is not a quest of mine to convert you though I shall try nonetheless :smarmy:

OOI what is /was your aversion?

11. razl

razl Well-Known Member

The aesthetic has just never clicked with me and I said on occasion that "I just don't like it" for no good reason; But, the more I see it - especially when done well - the less dislike I have for it. I'm still a ways from smitten, but I'm also quite a ways from my original resistance.

I look forward to future sessions :)

1 person likes this.
  12. razl

razl Well-Known Member

I hadn't visited Robert Old's site in quite a while, but today I saw they have C&J Islay's listed at 450£ (375£ ex. VAT) w/free shipping. Having been hovering on the "Purdey Islay" for a while, I had lost track of actual Islay pricing. I figured that Purdey must have moved in response to Islay's going up elsewhere but that doesn't look to be the case. Boy, they're ballsy to price theirs more expensive than an actual C&J Islay, but I suppose they have their reasons.

13. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

resistance to adelaides? give in now...they are awesome

14. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Theoretically Robert old has a summer sale beginning this week. If it's like in the past (20-30% off) I may pick up a couple pair, beginning with something tan like Drummond or Clifford.

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

^ RO's summer sale did indeed start today, but no C&J included as far as I can see.

16. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Of course, the Purdey boots could have been made to a higher spec than the regular C&J model...

17. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Good point, I had inferred from some other comments re: the dainite sole on the Purdey being considered slightly lesser that the rest of the item followed suit, but that may very well not be the case. And/or, maybe the recent cost increase is because they've revised their specs upward (?).

I do wish I was local and could compare first hand, it's not really an option to "try out" from across the pond.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  18. budapest12

My admittedly not-terribly-informed impression of the Robert Old vs. Purdey price differential is simply that Robert Old has very reasonable C&J prices relative to many of its competitors while Purdey, which will not even admit its boots are made by C&J, believes it can sell its products for more. Perhaps they've upped the specs but this doesn't seem the most likely answer to me. Purdey marked its stock up while others haven't (yet).

19. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

I'll say it again, but I don't think the Purdey cap toe derby boot I own compares badly to regular C&J offerings.

To put it into perspective, I sold my Coniston boots, owned for many years, when I got the Purdey equivalent. Admittedly, one of the reasons for that is that the Purdey is a higher-topped boot, but I wouldn't have kept them if I felt they were in any way inferior to the C&J offerings.

And, as I said before, I fail to see how a thinner Dainite sole on one model equates to a lower quality without seeing the requested build specs for both boots side-by-side.

Even if the boots are made to the exact same quality, Purdey can charge what they know they can get - and knowing the customer profile of companies like Holland & Holland, and Purdey, I doubt that they are in the business of scouring the internet looking for discounted sales or carrying out price comparisons...especially if they don't know (and/or care, just as likely) who makes the wretched things!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  20. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Good info, thanks for keeping things balanced.