1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. DRAGUI99

DRAGUI99 Well-Known Member

2. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

Excited to be picking up my Belgrave's this afternoon from the post office. I have a couple of pairs of the RL branded cordovan shoes, but these are my first C&J's from the factory.

Very excited.

3. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

Was looking at C&J's website and noticed that they show the Malvern in chestnut but not the Monkton. Doesn't seem correct since I thought that I ordered a Monkton in chestnut and what's the difference between the Monkton and Malvern?

4. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Well-Known Member

Monkton is on the 348 last whilst Malvern is on 341, 348 looks sleeker whilst 341 looks rounder in shape.

5. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

Of course, thanks!

6. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Excited too DL. From Factory Shop? Or ordered direct from Factory, if you get me?

Either way looking forward to seeing the unveil! :lurk:

1 person likes this.
  7. crzcrz

crzcrz Well-Known Member

I now have 3 pairs of C&J on 348 last - Westbourne, Hallam and Monkton, all in 9 E, and they all fit slightly differently, the Westbournes being the most tight ones and the Monktons being the most roomy ones. Even if I put two of them left-to-right sole-to-sole (let us say a Hallam and a Monkton) I can see small differences in width and length. How come?

Having said that, the Monktons are a really good fit (after one finally manages to squeeze his feet into them).

8. DavidLane

DavidLane Well-Known Member

Thanks Cleav, actually from Robert Old, they were originally "in stock" when I ordered them. But 3 months later, and still no shoes, I emailed to find out they had to be ordered direct from C&J.

I actually don't mind the wait, but after 6 months all of this is behind me, today is the day [​IMG]!

9. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Well-Known Member

How does C&J Chelsea 8 boots (benchgrade) compare to Cheaney's? Cheaney is almost half of what C&J is charging.

10. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Can't speak to why the Westbournes and Hallams would be different, but it makes sense that you would experience a different fit with shoes that have different closures on the same last. I have the same experience with my monks, chukkas, and oxfords on the 348 (could almost go a half size down on the Tetbury's).

11. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Skye II's, just have to wait a few weeks and should have them in time to break in at the Spring Meet (hopefully they lend me a little luck).

12. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I have 3 pairs of Monkton's and each one fits differently, especially my dark grown golf grain which is much larger than the other two.

Having owned and currently owning many C&J's I have to say that the sizes can definitely very from shoe to shoe, even being on the same last.

13. crzcrz

crzcrz Well-Known Member

This is a bit sad. And probably also means that it's dangerous to buy online, even on a well familiar last.

14. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to say that the size won't still fit you...just that they fit a little differently and that can be adjusted pretty easily depending on how you lace your shoes or by adding a pad at the heel, etc.

I understand the pains of those who do not live near a retailer that they can try the shoes on...as this is the case for me with many shoe brands that I love...and through some MTO/semi-bespoke projects I have in the works...but I frequently stop in at the C&J NYC store and try the shoes on...

In most cases in C&J I am a 10.5 or an 11 depending on the last. and don't need to try them on if I am familiar with the last...

If you know what you are getting into, i think you are still safe buying from an online retailer...If you've never tried on a pair of C&J's before...you should try to get to a store...or you may need to return them for an exchange in the worst-case scenario (which isn't that big of a deal...just requires a good attitude and some patience)...

15. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Well-Known Member

I agree with PCK1 asi have the same issue with my Pembrokes in 10 and Onslows in 10.5 on the same last.

16. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Well. Leather is organic so it is different hide to hide, also where the clicker is choosing to cut the pieces, combined with the different patterns and variances of human input, all shoes will be slightly different.

But the differences won't be that much and after breaking in, they should feel the same.

17. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

From the experience of currently owning 20+ pairs of C&J's, they will feel similar with some degree of difference but not enough to need to size up or down...but on occasion there have been a few that were quite different.

18. DRAGUI99

19. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Well-Known Member

Are these just dark brown. They look like they have a little burgundy to them. I would really love a pair in oxblood. C&J does far too little in burgundy and oxblood. But, that's not exclusive to C&J.

20. DRAGUI99

They are dark brown, but the last 2 times I used "Hermes red" Saphir Surfine shoe cream. It gives them a nice patina

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014