1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

@ chipshot yeah you should contact them - they are pretty good at responding to emails. i dont know if they only size up 1/2 with 348 or all their shoes

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

I'm new to C&J and just yesterday received my first C&J's, the dark brown cordovan Harlechs that I bought at the #92 Jermyn St shop a couple of weeks ago. I posted earlier about the amazing customer service my wife and I received at that shop but I do want to reiterate that point. I don't understand the negative comments I had read way back in this thread. Our experience was nothing but exemplary. They shipped the boots (along with a couple of pairs that my wife bought) on the date I requested and they arrived via ParcelForce and USPS yesterday. A warm personal note was enclosed from our sales associate, William Powell. Very nice touch. Another shout out to him; he was amazing. He was not only very knowledgeale, but he was so balanced in his recommendations --- strong and clear in his recommendations but ready to defer to the client's wishes if needed.

Here are the Harlechs. They had some creasing from prior try-ons but I am not that picky on that issue and they were minor IMO. I don't think I say this for every new boot I try on but I do think these are the most comfortable boots I own so far. The 341 last was made for me.

With no flash:
    [​IMG]

With flash:
    [​IMG]

In sunlight (sorry for the backdrop but the best sunlight was there at that time):
    [​IMG]

On my feet:
    [​IMG]

Now that I know how well these boots work for me, only increases my anticipation to receive the mto whiskey Harlechs that should arrive in a few months. I'm glad (but maybe our budget isn't) that my wife bought shoes & boots as well as she spent more than I did and lessens my guilt over what I spend on footwear.

Her purchases:
    [​IMG]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Those are awesome bootspell and great write up. Here are my BB peal harlech boots on the 240

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. BootSpell

Thanks, NAMOR. Your boots look great! So are those the exact same boots as stock Harlechs in brown shell except on the 240? Just from the looks of the vamp/toe, the shape seems quite similar to the 341. What is that last like compared to the 341? How do you like that last?

5. BootSpell

Another thing on the Harlechs I just received. I kinda wish the tongues weren't lined as I see the Horween shell cordovan stamp peeking out on the edges of the left boot's tongue. Would have been awesome to see that stamp every time I was putting on or taking the boots on/off.

1 person likes this.
  6. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Well-Known Member

Oa, boots look great. Congrats

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Get a cordovan wallet instead.

[​IMG]

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Remove the lining. Just a couple stitches

Alden tongues are unlined

9. ap10046

ap10046 Well-Known Member

Guys, could someone post a couple of pics of chestnut Chadwick 2's in use please?

10. S K M

S K M Well-Known Member

You're going to love them – I've had mine for two years now, and they're the most comfortable boots I own with lots of character to them. I very much agree that 341 is about the most comfortable C&J last (at least for the four different lasts I own). Wear in good health!

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Fwiw, I see the horween stamp about 1 out of 5 pairs of unlined shell. I wouldn't remove the lining simply for the stamp. Also my lindricks and Bb peal boot tongue are unlined

12. BootSpell

Thanks, SloopyNoob. I kind of feel like I've left my wife/gf by abandoning Alden for C&J and Carmina with my last few purchases, lol.

I have had my eye on these.

Namor, your first comment had me thinking for just a minute or two. But I know I'd be too chicken to remove the tongue's lining.

13. Junior

Junior Well-Known Member

Gave my pembroke's some love!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I love pictures of shoes that are used and with creases, shoes are meant to be worn.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

The patina looks great, is this the cavalry calf model?

16. Junior

Junior Well-Known Member

Thank you! It is the cavalry calf model. I really like how they are aging!

17. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Cavalry Calf is essentially the same as Church's much-maligned (on here, at least) Binder finish, right?

I sold an identical pair of those shoes on eBay some time ago and like the glow they had after a light cream polishing.

18. Junior

Junior Well-Known Member

That is (maybe?) correct. When member granjamo asked C&J asked about the material he got the following response:

[...]
    Cavalry Calf is a corrected leather but it is very strong and hard wearing. We only source leather from the best European tanneries so our cavalry calf is very high quality and will wear well.

If you have any further questions then please let us know.

Kind regards,

Crockett & Jones
    contact@crockettandjones.co.uk
    www.crockettandjones.com

When member johanm asked the same question he got this response:

[...]

Cavalry calf is a slightly waxed calf made to look like Cordovan (horse hide).
    Our normal calf skins are hand polished and antiqued but not impregnated with wax like the cavalry calf.
    We do not use any corrected calf at our Factory.

Best Regards

Steve Murdoch

General Manager
    Crockett and Jones Ltd

Edit. When I asked the cobbler i bought my pair from (mr Marcus Davidsson, a former swedish champion in shoe repairing) he gave me a response similar to the one C&J gave johanm.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Wtf? C&J needs to clear up the contradictions

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I would also appreciate a larger selection of G width shoes :)