1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Great looking shoe.

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

VRaivio, an excellent series of pics showcasing a very classy shoe. Wear them in good health.

3. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Well-Known Member

lovely pics on a wonderful shoe :) love the 341 last
    grats

4. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

now I want one!

5. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Fabulous shooz .. I pick up the same in btw same size from Kevin C&J NYC. He said that particular model is being discontinued and we got the last if the inventory. I am thrilled, I love the 341 last.

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Until when is the CJ sale going on?

I haven't had a response regarding G width models, maybe they are not available... :(

7. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Very few models are available in G width to start with, have you checked the CJ store in NYC?

8. BeSpiffington

It's hard to believe that such a standard offering would be discontinued, the plain toe blucher, or derby as it were, being a staple of most rtw shoe manufactures for over a century.

9. philweezer

philweezer Active Member

Anyone?

10. BeSpiffington

I have no experience using C&J shoetrees and shoe care products, though I'm sure they're good. I had difficulty finding C&J 341 shoetrees, so I've been using Alden shoetrees on my 341 lasted C&J for RL Marlows, which seem to work well. All the shoes in my rotation now are shell cordovan. I wipe them with a damp cloth and brush them before and after wearing. Saphir Renovateur, used sparingly, a couple times a year seems to do the trick for conditioning.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  11. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

...just to re-cap: on paper, a plaintoe derby with a 360-degree storm welt, double sole and cordovan uppers would make for a clunky casual workhorse. Not so with C&J as theirs is a very smart model thanks to its trimmed welt and sleek last. Even the double sole is slim compared to those Tricker's offers. I'll likely wear these with suitings instead of thick casual fabrics. The makers at Crockett&Jones got mad skills I tell ya.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

It looks quite sleek, same last as the Radstock you say? I didn't know the 341 last had such a nice looking toe box...

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Don't have experience with half sizes but I've read you should go with the full size up. For shoe care products, I use Kiwi, Metonian, and Saphir. Personally think they all do a good job.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Not bad almond shape. Works for those with average instep; however, I have a low instead so it feels a little loose.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Very nice, sir. This is a great shoe. I have the Bradford captoe blucher in dark brown shell and really like it. It too is on the 341. I would get the Ashdown if I didn't already have a few color 8 shell PTBs.

16. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I love the 341 last, it's got exactly the degree of elongation and almondness that I want in a shoe. I only wish they had a more comprehensive range of models. There are some classic styles missing from the range (e.g. cap toe), and several styles are missing key leather options (e.g. dark brown calf). I'd opt for a different brand before picking any of the other C&J lasts, but would take a 341 option over all else.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  17. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

^C&J does have a MTO program for specific tastes. If memory serves, the upcharge is around 35%.

18. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I think the MTO upcharge is 50% or possibly more, and I imagine it takes ages. For that price/inconvenience I would choose a shoe from Edward Green on the 82 or 202 last.

19. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

MTO charge is around 50% on top of the base price of the boot or shoe model chosen, but I think the wait time is measured more in weeks than months.

20. BeSpiffington

Could someone please explain why would a person get a C&J MTO if the up charge was 50%? The shoes are still Goodyear welted and machine stitched aren't they?