1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Weren't they the same last, just one HG one BG? At least back in 2007...

2. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

maybe it is, but I have Selbourne (358) and Northcote(348), Selbourne definitely looks slicker, though I know boot vs. shoe is probably a poor comparison, though at least they're both captoe...

3. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Apologies. I saw the other links to merchandise in here and assumed it would be ok to add my own. Have moved to Marketplace - many thanks.

4. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Very nice.

That also reminds me that I need to get some blue laces for my Islays.

5. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

The recent awful weather here gave me the spur to finally acquire the brown Northcotes I've had my eye on and wore them for the first time yesterday, with a navy suit. Very pleased, both with the look and the protection from the rain!

6. dddrees

Pictures, Pictures, Oh where are the pictures?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  7. clee1982

+1, another choice is to go for the cordovan boots, though northcote is certainly dressier.

8. dddrees

Actually it's practically impossible to make a bad choice when it comes to C&J's boots.

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

10. clee1982

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

^
    You and me both.

All the vendors I see have a 6 month delay on C&Js, especially in wide G width... :confused:

12. clee1982

I feel you I am 9E US on the left, and slightly wider than 9.5D US on the right. If you need wide, I think your only option is MTO, C&J do have a few RTW in wide, my old solution is upsize half, then if needed, add a tongue pad or insole..., though I just simply skip it now a day, fit properly is still more important to me these days.

I am definitely debating on the moore, will probably check out Leffot this weekend to see how they look in person before I decide...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

I'd either do nothing at all and just wear them or, far more likely, use some sort of dubbin, Sno-seal, or Obenauf's LP on them and wear them just like that. They'll darken a little after treatment but that would also most likely happen with exposure to the elements anyway.

I wouldn't even bother trying to polish them, just give them a bloody good brush when they needed it.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Thanks! Skipping any sort of polish is probably the way to go. The description states they are "waxed, oiled leather." I'll definitely be brushing them as they almost seem to have some kind of directional nap to them, so if I do one brush stroke in the opposite direction you can sort of see it. They just need to be worn.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

PS started carrying a variety of UK makers I think a few years ago. Before GMP were the only onces I saw, then they made the limited edition G&G, and a few months ago they started using C&J and AS (not sure of any other makers). It's a nice selection now but I do have to admit I miss PS being the GMP oasis.

Anyone been to PS recently and checked out their sales? Curious if the AS, G&G, and C&J lines are also on sale since they're newer.

16. clee1982

GG is not on sale (no surprise there), Carmina shell cordovan is on sale (or some made in Spain shell cordovan claimed by the SA to be by Carmina), I saw some that looks like AS Exclusive (waist treatment wise, only saw AS exclusive pictures in the past, never saw in person). I didn't pay enough attention to see if there were CJ handgrade, though according to a poster here there were definitely CJ handgrade on sale (for good price too, 450 range?). PS's sale do run very quick in the initial first few days, at least that's my experience in the past.

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I'd be surprised if they started using Carmina since they used Martignanni (or whatever it's spelled) on their Spanish makers before. I should try to swing by if their AS Ex and C&J HGs are on sale. $450 isn't GREAT but still about a quarter less than buying from across the pond.

18. clee1982

450 is like 290 GBP, I think that's very good price for hand grade, where can you get lower?

edit: other than B&S here I suppose, ebay's brand new hand grade trade higher than this, no?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  19. clee1982

oh and the SA only said the Made in Spain shell cordovan ones were by Carmina, not every made in Spain ones. I don't know who it is for real, but at least the upper is treated very well, the color were uniform, had a nature shine, no idea how it would age though. Also the shell were going for like 480, only 2 colors, one is pretty red (much brighter than #8), one is med to dark brown.

20. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

That's cheaper than benchgrade too.