• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UK10.5E
or
UK10.5D
I prefer my loafers snug so I would go D width, but I assume gettng a D width may be a tall order.
I have made a return to Pediwear. It cost $45-ish in return shipping.

Yeah, I too prefer loafers on the snug side. I found posts that seem to suggest the Harvard uses US sizing. Maybe they relabel the sizes for US retailers?
  • marmottan: "I usually take the LHS unlined in 8.5D but the Harvard in 9D. The small problem here is that it is not mentioned on the C&J whether it is in US or UK sizes. In my opinion, it is US size since I take for instance the chukkas and others C&J in 8.5D or 8E UK, never in 9D UK..."
  • NAMOR: "I am tts 12D and these fit tts, 11.5D."

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I too prefer loafers on the snug side. I found posts that seem to suggest the Harvard uses US sizing. Maybe they relabel the sizes for US retailers?
  • marmottan: "I usually take the LHS unlined in 8.5D but the Harvard in 9D. The small problem here is that it is not mentioned on the C&J whether it is in US or UK sizes. In my opinion, it is US size since I take for instance the chukkas and others C&J in 8.5D or 8E UK, never in 9D UK..."
  • NAMOR: "I am tts 12D and these fit tts, 11.5D."

I can't confirm or deny this.

kwhunter

Reaction score
My Selbornes I bought recently from Bodileys http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/ have some minor flaws (sole edge profiling cutter slipped into the heel), I wonder whether they were marked as seconds at the factory?
Anyone has/had any similar experience with this vendor, or any other C&J reseller?
They charge full price on the shoes, though, but no shipping which is dubious; they probably get the shoes at a substantial discount.
I also bought from C&J direct, and they sell for slightly less but charge for shipping.
Thanks.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Navy Lowndes from Barney's.
They look like black in normal light (or what passes for it in Seattle in December).

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Navy Lowndes from Barney's.
They look like black in normal light (or what passes for it in Seattle in December).

Thanks for the photo, was going to get them but that's what I thought as well so passed

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest, the color looks terrible in that photo. I almost didn't post.
I like the almost black look in normal light.

tacobender

Reaction score
I would agree that they are a dark navy and the flash/lighting in that pic didn't do you any favors. On my floor under the magic lights they look pretty snazzy!

hanskl

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the Skye or Skye 2 boots. I will use these boots mainly for winter and poor weather...

Whats your thoughts about this one guys?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skye 2, shell cordovan and dainite sole is in my opinion much more usable in the winter.

hanskl

Reaction score
Skye 2, shell cordovan and dainite sole is in my opinion much more usable in the winter.
You are quite right, however the skye 2 is 50% more than the skye. I believe they can install dainite soles for £60.
Then the skye would be £445, while the skye 2 sits around £570 I believe.

Whats your thoughts on that?

Can the owners of the skye boots chime in on this? Are the calf skye's excellent winter boots?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would wait for the RL sale and get the RL Lindrick, but if I had to choose I would still go with the Skye 2 since I've fallen in love with shell.

hanskl

Reaction score
Yes, the lindrick. I never liked the eyelets on the lindrick, thats why I like the skye much better. But the C&J for RL shoes are amazing. I have the wingtip and the penny loafer.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the Skye or Skye 2 boots. I will use these boots mainly for winter and poor weather...

Whats your thoughts about this one guys?

I'd say neither of those. The calf on the Skye isn't particularly suited for rain (it looks bloody awful when wet!), and I mentioned above that C&J themselves don't consider shell to be a good leather for poor weather footwear.

Out of all of C&J boots, the Snowdon is the only one that stands out as a poor weather boot.

The Islay and Arran would also do, at a push, although the dark brown Islay model's studded Dainite sole isn't the best when it comes to traction. From my own experience, the Ridgeway is the best rubber sole out of C&J's options in poor weather as the irregular tread pattern (compared to commando or studded Dainite) gives better grip than most in wet conditions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads