1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

If you plan on ordering from Bodileys I would order them ASAP because there is a wait-list. I am on the July waitlist and I ordered my Selbournes last week. I found Bodileys to be about 200 USD cheaper then if I was to order them from the C&J store in NY and since i don't need them right away it is worth the wait.

2. dcinitial

dcinitial Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to place an order soon.

I am trying to figure out my size for the Islays and found a retailer with a UK 10.5 F. I am normally a US 11 E on the Brannock Device. Do you gents think this would be too big. I did a search on the threads couldnt find out with a 10.5 F would equate to in US sizes.

Thanks in advance all.

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

So you are doing a Danite conversion on the Skyes? It seems like they are most of the way to being the Islay. Do you just like the chestnut color better?

4. kaizo

kaizo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a pic of burgundy cordovan ashdown (or anything on the 348 last) after its 'rolled'? Just wanted to see what it would look like before I consider it.

5. hanskl

hanskl Well-Known Member

I got the Skye converted to Dainite in January and they are just awesome! I don't regret at all the extra £60 for the Dainite conversion - they are awesome winter boots!

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about that particular last, but a UK 10.5F could be an US 11.5E or an US 11E.

7. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Why not just order them directly from one of the C&J London stores?

8. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

Indeed; C&J is an average £20-25 cheaper than B but they charge for shipping; apples for apples, and they have almost everything in stock ready to go.
    There is a false impression that B is cheaper because they don't charge for shipping; shipping is not free, you pay for it.
    I bought from both and they are both great, but C&J direct is more convenient because of the stock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

So ordered some C&J trees and shipper sent incorrect ones. Anyone by chance have some 6E HG (dark brown) trees and want some BG (natural) trees + difference?

10. theundeadkennedy

theundeadkennedy Well-Known Member

Yes. I still love the Islays and plan on purchasing them in the future, but for my first foray into the C&J jungle I went with the Skyes and their sexy chestnuttiness.

11. theundeadkennedy

Nice! :slayer: I was wondering if anyone else did a Dainite conversion when they purchased their Skyes. I guess I'm not such an original thinker. I spend most of my time between Alaska and Oregon, so usually bust ass on leather soles. Looking forward to trying the Day-Night out :D

12. theundeadkennedy

Are lasted trees worth the price of admission if you're getting them for bench grades?

13. SuitedDx

If you keep the chestnut of the Skye the dark brown pebble of the Islay will be a good enough contrast. Good luck on the search; I've had mine for years and they've held up well.

Regarding the "lasted" trees (technically they are not lasted), it's just preference I guess. Woodlore trees are just fine and I use them for my Aldens. On a basic level, they keep the shape; however, because the 348 shoes have such an elongated ball/toebox, I find the BG trees worth the extra amount.

14. Jakezero

Jakezero Well-Known Member

The Islay is a very nice looking boot. I was originally going to purchase a pair, but just like you I ended up with a pair of Skyes, although I went with the Skye 2 instead.
    I still look at the Islays every time I walk by my cobbler, but I just can't justify owning another pair of C&J at this time.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i never get the two confused. in other words, ive never reached for one and considered the other. also, another inherent benefit of shell is both pairs of can look different because of the way shell can lighten or darken over time

16. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Well-Known Member

The skye 2 is a beauty. This thread needs more pics of it, maybe you can be of assistance.

17. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Well-Known Member

Acquired a pair of C&J Lowndes (9.5 E) on Sunday from the aptly-named Double Monk in Melbourne and wore them at a family gathering last night. Never had so many compliments on a pair of shoes in my life, and the fit is excellent. Very happy with the purchase already, I can see I'm going to get plenty of use out of them both with dressier casual outfits and with suits.

Now the challenge is going to be restraining myself from splashing out on a second pair of C&Js before I can really afford to do so! I suspect I'll have to admire some boots from afar... I own zero boots, so if there's any style of shoe I can justify adding to my collection any time soon it is boots.

18. Jakezero

Jakezero Well-Known Member

I took some pictures around the time I received them, they can be found in my profile or in this post.

19. theundeadkennedy

Thanks for the info!

I've seen the pics of your Skye 2s. Very nice. I've been thinking awhile of making them my first cordovan boots, either those or the Dainite Lindricks. I still think I will be getting the Islay for my next pair of dark brown boots, as I still need a good knock around boot. Even if the cordovan could suit that purpose, the price tag would leave me babying them more than my other boots.

20. SuitedDx

I believe my cottesmore (which I am wearing today) is considered burnished chestnut, if anyone is still looking for a comparison: [​IMG]