1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Do I really want the C&J Grenville? The heel brogueing throws it off for me.

What I really want is the Paul Stuart Preston (AKA Exmoor in Mahogany) but they do not carry 6E. Before, C&J at RE were able to send me shoes from other markets besides the UK, now when I inquired getting the aforementioned shoes, they said they stopped doing that. :foo:

2. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

The general consensus here is that you should use shoe trees for your shoes. I have bought some here: http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/shoe-MMCACCPRD-EN.htm?cdPrd=Embauchoirs&coloris=red_cedar They are even on sale from time to time, but you can find some elsewhere of course. Congrats on the shoes!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. billionaireboy

billionaireboy Well-Known Member

If you ordered them and paid for them, you should let C&J know. They will ship them to you for free. Customer service is impeccable

4. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

^Oh, I didn't realize that the trees were paid for. In that case C&J should send them of course.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Just recieved my Black Lindricks. Might have been nice had they been in Cordovan, but even so they're still pretty nice. The sale price was pretty good too. Ended up getting 2 pairs for the price of one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Hit the calf lindricks with a coat of saphir reno followed by a coat of saphir black high gloss polish. I did. :nodding:

7. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Awesome.

8. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Will do, thanks for the hint.

9. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

PSA: Brooks Brothers now has 3 C&J shoes on the 341 last in their Peal & Co line. See here.

Question: I'm thinking about ordering the Courtenay. Does anyone have experience with the kind of creasing that occurs on these semi-punch cap toes? I've heard that wholecuts (don't have any) can crease in unsightly ways and am wondering if the same can happen here.

10. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Aren't those captoes on the 240 last?

11. Liquidus

12. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Look too sleek for 240.

13. MikkelM

MikkelM Active Member

Thinking about bying the Coniston boot.

Does anyone know if it can be 'caught' on sale from time to time?

Lowest I've seen is the set price of 370 gbp with little or rather no fluctuation.

14. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Well-Known Member

Was at the store in jermyn at and they have some seconds on sale, including a color 8 blucher with Danite sole In uk10 for 320 ppinds

15. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

16. slam

slam Well-Known Member

I am struggling between the captoes and wingtips from BB. I'll be ordering some soon to get the 25% off. Are there any other C&J shoes worth considering that aren't listed here?

17. Liquidus

See my post earlier on this page. They're on a better looking last but not 25% off on the website. Maybe Sleven can make it happen for you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Well-Known Member

The Northcote is a pretty nice-looking boot, and similar to the BB shell one, but obviously, not shell. Over at Pediwear or Bodileys, it can be had significantly cheaper. To be honest, I don't have much experience with C&J's cordovan, though; I've stuck to Alden mostly for that.

19. slam

slam Well-Known Member

I picked up some Alden Captoe's from J. Crew for 30% off so I will probably go with the wingtips for variety. Thanks for the info guys.