1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Well-Known Member

I'm considering ordering a pair of 'Westbourne' from EdwardsofManchester. They seem to have them in all sizes. Is this what they actually have in stock or would they back order? Has anyone had experience with EoM?

2. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

I was looking at C&J from Edwards, and they didn't have much stock in my size. I was quoted about 7 weeks until they get more stock, and told that they'd probably sell out as soon more arrive, due to the popularity of C&J. So simply waiting for them to get more is not enough. You have to put your order through, and they will charge you straight away, not when the shoes are ready... and as far as I know, this is for general re-stocking, not special order from manufacturer.

Their customer service is okay, not excellent nor terrible.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Very nice.

The different color tongue is a bit different, but a very nice looking boot for sure.

I just ordered the Lindrick myself.

I hope to have those sometime next week.

4. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that I'm finally joining the big boy's shoe club. I just ordered a pair of C&J Brunswick in Dark brown Antique Calf from Robert Old and am already on pins and needles waiting for them. I'm going leaving town in 10 days and didn't want to miss 'em, so I coughed up to express ship them. Still, it's going to be a long week pining...

[​IMG]

So far in my SF apprenticeship I've added Alden, Sutor, and C&J for RL (Lindrick, Marlow, and loafer), and some others, but this is going to be a whole 'nother altitude.

ps - after studying and agonizing on sizing for the last, I went with a 9.5UK for my US10.5+ feet (a touch wide in the right foot, and both are a touch longer than most). We shall see...

5. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

I've got some C&J HGs coming from Old too. [​IMG]

They didn't send them out Friday, so I'm hoping they go on Monday. I can't wait. [​IMG]

6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Think yourselves lucky - I've a wait of six to eight weeks for some MTO Snowdons! Still, better than ordering from Edward Green or Alfred Sargent, by a long shot...

Found out some interesting stuff whilst deciding on what to use for the make-up of the boot.

Firstly, C&J won't use shell to make a veldtschoen boot as it bruises too easily for that construction method. I could have had a normal welted boot made on the Snowdon pattern, but a storm welt isn't the best option for walking through snow or a damp field although it's far from being a poor choice.

Secondly, and possibly more surprisingly, C&J don't recommend using shell for a poor-weather boot as it needs more upkeep after exposure to wet weather than the usual waxy and/or grained calf normally used by English shoemakers for 'country' footwear. They don't doubt that it's extremely durable and robust, but specifically advised that it wasn't the best choice for a boot that was going to be used in wet weather.

And this came from the factory...

7. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

It's beyond me how or indeed why one can put up with such a long delivery time for a humble pair of cj. As a frequent customer couldn't they do you a favour?

8. inimitable

inimitable Well-Known Member

Saw this in the shop window the other day. Has anyone kopped?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

Westbournes are fairly common and avaiable. I ordered two pairs from them and they were in stock. Delivered within 10 days.

10. kwhunter

kwhunter Well-Known Member

Limited production capacity; but they are far ahead of the competition.

11. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Why this pair when you have Marlow? Just wondering...

12. razl

razl Well-Known Member

That's a fair q, especially since they're both C&Js - I love my Marlows, but they lean a bit towards chunky. The double sole and the more rounded shape contribute to it. I really wanted an option that was sleeker and a bit more "professional" for when I'm wearing my more serious suits. It's just an aesthetic thing - I'm expecting them both to fill slightly different roles but, at the end of the day, I think somebody a bit less nit-picky (nutty?) could wear either and be fine.

Note that I'm not selling my Marlows; these are going to complement them as an option, not replace them :)

13. CTBrummie

Is this regarding the wait time for my MTO?

If so, I'd expect to wait at least a few weeks no matter who the maker due to them being a boot that's being built from scratch to my specs in terms of leather and last - and as kwhunter quite rightly said, and as per my original comment, this is a lot better than wait times for Edward Green (around six months, I think) and Alfred Sargent (entirely based on pot luck, from what I can gather). The wait time is no reflection of poor service on any of the makers' part though, just a reflection of the backlog of orders they have to wade through at the moment.

14. sdolina

sdolina Well-Known Member

6 weeks is really very quick, Vass also has 6 weeks everybody else needs more.
    May I ask you what is your makeup for the Snowdown?

15. CTBrummie

Burgundy country grain with polo suede for the boot leg, on the 335 last with veldtschoen construction on a double leather sole. Something relatively robust for the winter that can also be fairly dressy when needed.

16. wg.

wg. Member

Hello,

I don't know if I'm on the right thread to post my question, but here it is.

I'm looking for a pair of black leather shoes, to go with either formal navy or grey suits or with more casual outfits (chinos, dress pants, jeans...).
    I already have a pair of C&J Chukka in brown suede, a pair of Grenson Royal Brogues in black shiny leather and a pair of Emling derbies in brown leather.
    I managed to reduce my choices to two C&J models that would fulfil my needs:

- C&J Highbury (Black leather)
    - C&J Tetbury (Black leather)

What would you guys recommand to buy? As I really love both pairs but I can't decide which one to go on with.
    My only thought is that maybe the Tetbury model is "easier" for casual outfits.

Thank you for your help. :)

17. The7Ups

The7Ups Well-Known Member

Sounds nice, the regular Snowdon IMO is a bit of plain jane but the burgundy grain should enhance the last.

Was there a significant MTO upcharge for these Brummie? Church's upcharge is relatively modest but from what I've heard C&J's is penal.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

The Brunswick and RL Marlow are, IMO, substantially different in appearance - to say nothing of the fact that they are made with different types of leather - and the two models will easily compliment each other. I am wearing my Marlows as I type. :nodding:

19. CTBrummie

Yeah, I also opted for a mock toe cap in a nod to the 'traditional' veldtschoen look, which should also make it a little more interesting.

For MTO, it works out at roughly the standard model price plus around 50% - the Snowdon MTO came in at £675.

20. razl

razl Well-Known Member

Good point, totally forgot the calf vs. shell difference (doh!). And, thanks for the viewpoint - when I first read the question I had a momentary "Did I just waste my buy on something that's essentially the same as what I've already got?".

And, cue twilight zone music: I, also, am wearing my Marlows as I type.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012