1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Alden's color 8 varies, even if slightly (and sometimes not slightly), from shoe to shoe and boot to boot. I have 12 Alden models in color 8, and I have AE burgundy shell, and I have vintage Florsheim Imperial burgundy shell. My C&J Boots are essentially identical in color to some of my Alden color 8 models.

2. marmottan

marmottan Well-Known Member

Cross topic.

[​IMG]

C&J Harvard - Dark brown cordovan (unlined).
    One of the 3 best loafers ever IMO.

2 people like this.
  3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Someone must have returned these, so when I saw them up on Yoox again I pounced. Definitely handgrade but they are labelled both on the box and inside the shoe as the "Osterley" model. I can't seem to find any info about these anywhere. Is anyone familiar with that model? Any idea of the last? Since it was Yoox, I'm assuming they could be new old stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. "6"

"6" Well-Known Member

Beautiful. How do these compare in sizing to 348/337 last, if I may enquire?

5. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

You sir have everything! Anyways very nice, enjoy them!

6. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

In time for fall wardrobe change and sartorial splendor, for your eyes only.
    CROCKETT & JONES NORTHCODE 348 last in Black Wax Calf and rubber sole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

I have those in brown, just got mine from the basement the other day. This will be third fall/winter i use them and they just looks better with wear :)

8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

What are the other 2?

9. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Well-Known Member

Nice boots. By the way, how can you fit C&J 12E and also Santoni Euro 12 1/2F? There is a full size and a half difference (plus a 1/4) in the 2.

10. Saratorial_Splender

The Santonis that I have are LE made for US market in size 13M. They fit well. I do not conform to one size. Different brands and lasts fit differently. For exanple, I wear UK 13E in G&G.
    In Edward Green, I need UK 13 as well.

11. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

The CJ 348 last runs large unless you have a particularly wide foot. I take 1/2 down in the 348 from all my other UK sized shoes.

12. Saratorial_Splender

That is correct. It is the only English shoe maker that I can wear in 12E (very close to US 13). Other 12E like EG and Lobb are too small, they are equal to a US 12.5. C&J is the only true 1 to 1 conversion 12 to 13 and so on (no half sizes).

13. skeen7908

skeen7908 Well-Known Member

I have recently bought 2 pairs of C&J in an attempt to up my shoe game: one pair of mink suede drummonds (348 last) and a pair of cottesmore (341 last)

The drummond are size 7.5 and fit perfectly, though I've decided that I'm not a huge fan of the long pointy toe (makes me look like a witch)
    The cottesmore are size 8 and are just a little loose/wide, though I'm thinking this may be a function of the fact that they are boots and laceless rather than an incompatible last

Im currently looking for a pair of black captoes and maybe a pair of brown/chestnut/tan brogues to round out the selection.

Any suggestions?

Are there any models on a last that will fit like 348, but with a less exaggerated pointy toe?
    Or would something similar to the 341 fit me better if it had laces

Edit: I have tried the Connaught on 236. The size 8 fit fairly well, but I thought they were very bulbous and ugly

14. Saratorial_Splender

Try the Islay on last 365, Millbank on last 348, or the Coinston on last 325. They all have less "pointy nose" as you put it, but fit very close to the Northcote or Tetbury on last 348.

The Northcote and Tetbury are more pointy, but that is why I like them since I am a tall man in size UK 12E.

15. isshinryu101

But the Santoni Euro models run huge. They go up a minimum of 1.5 sizes. 12.5F is a roomy 14.

16. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

I found Santoni Shoes (goodyear line) to be half a size bigger than usual UK size.
    1.5 Size seems to much or are you comparing them to us sizing?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. Saratorial_Splender

Again, Santoni in US is marked for US sizes. I wear US 13 which is very close to UK 12-12.5.

18. Saratorial_Splender

I agree. The difference is 1/2 size which for me is perfect since I have a high instep and that extra 1/2 size makes all the difference. I normally do not worry about sizes and try to wear to fit. Different brands and lasts fit differently.

19. isshinryu101

The "F" sized Santoni shoes are much larger than the US sized models. I have no experience with the Goodyear models, but all 12 pairs of "F" sized Santoni's I have handles are 1.5- 2 sizes up to US size. Not trying to be a wise-ass, just trying to research the sizing. Santoni Ltd Ed is my favorite RTW modern shoe.

Those 1998 Ltd Ed must be some exception to their regular sizing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  20. ap10046

ap10046 Well-Known Member

I agree. My Santoni double monks are marked 9.5, and they fit me fine.
    My Tetbury's are an 11!