1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

QUICK!! Salt Works or PD&C?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JoMak_NYC, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JoMak_NYC

JoMak_NYC Well-Known Member

Sample sale going on in NYC right now, I can cop a pair of SW jeans (Bedford Bootcut, Asphalt wash) for $50 or $60. Or.......... I can run over to Scoop and cop some PD&C jeans (2 year Bootcuts) for $79. I am only getting one pair right now. You guys are the experts - which would you go for?

2. greentea

greentea Well-Known Member

dang, i dont know the las ttime i bought jeans for under 100.[​IMG]

3. JoMak_NYC

dang, i dont know the las ttime i bought jeans for under 100.[​IMG]

Sheesh, I was looking for advice here.

Does this help?

SW retails for $150
    PDC retails for $176

Think in terms of full price.

4. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of PDC, but my gut instinct of a good sale says go for the Salt Works.

5. greentea

greentea Well-Known Member

how do those look anywho..

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I'd go for the Salt Works, they look fairly nice... [​IMG] Edited, wrong wash.

7. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

I own and wear both. PD is softer. SW has a coool feeling when you rub your hand across it. And it's a tighter fit. PD is more casual, lighter, and looser.

8. pacioli

pacioli Well-Known Member

I own and wear both. PD is softer. SW has a coool feeling when you rub your hand across it. And it's a tighter fit. PD is more casual, lighter, and looser.

cool feeling?

9. viking_mike

viking_mike Well-Known Member

[​IMG] neither...save that money and buy something nice

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

cool feeling?

I don't know how to describe it. It's textured.

11. JoMak_NYC

based on these replies i think i am going to go for the SW jeans. i was going to go yesterday but it rained like hell and i went to APC's store in SoHo instead. After these SW's a pair new crisp Rescues is on the horizon.

Was eyeing a pair of Nudie RRDS, but for $100+ less i think i'll stick with the APCs. It'll be my 1st pair of Dry's anyways so I think th Nudies can wait a while............

12. JoMak_NYC

Ok, got em..... not happy.... at all [​IMG] fits great (waist, thigh)! thanks to the person who said they're kinda tight - so i went for the bigger of the 2 sizes i toggle between, 36. but the wash? the boot(FLARE)cut? not feeling em. whoever owns SW jeans - can you suggest another wash/cut please!! cuz its from this sample sale place i cant try them on. no refunds though so moneys in it for good. i wanna go right back over there on monday (they're conviniently closed tomorrow) and exchange for a diff wash/cut. what do you guys suggest - if anyhing......... PS: and please dont mention getting another brand, refer to where i said NO REFUNDS!! [​IMG]

13. drizzt3117

Essex straight looks decent... smoke wash?

14. JoMak_NYC

Essex straight looks decent... smoke wash?

do you think the thighs will be about the same? yeah, right?

15. drizzt3117

I imagine so, I'm not familiar with that exact model but it looks similar on the pictures.

16. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

JoMak_NYC:

I bought the SW Bedford Asphalts a little over a year ago. They look pretty understated, and after getting them hemmed (I'm assuming you don't wear 35" inseam) they won't have much of a bootcut either.

What surprised me the most about these jeans is how quickly they wear. I wore them pretty often (switched off between them and a pair of RRDS) This turned out to be both good and bad. Good because I think they look extremely cool now, and bad because they now have a large tear in the ass to crotch area. They're one of my favorite pair of jeans but not too durable.

I've been trying to track down another pair but they're hard to find. Can you tell me what store they're being sold at? I need a pair of 30" W. It'd be awesome if I could get my hands on another pair. Thanks in advance.

17. luvmalik

luvmalik Well-Known Member

i own both of them and i personally prefer the pdc.

18. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

The moral of this story, and it's on SFers learn sooner or later, usually the hard way, is not to buy something just because it's a good deal (unless you plan on flipping it.)

19. greeneggs4spam

greeneggs4spam Active Member

Salt Works is one of my favorite underestimated brands. Personally my favorite pair of jeans from them that I own is my bedford bootcut in asphalt wash. It's only a subtle bootcut, but I'm a skinny guy with big feet, so I need it because I look like a clown if my pants are tight on my ankles, but these pants have been one of my favorite pairs.

20. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Man, this is a throwback thread. It was only a year and a half ago those were both on LA Guy's Top 10.