• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick payoff/High Payoff fitness appearance strategies

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want big forearms, a wide back, and a butt that women want thrusting into them? (Well, a butt a few inches back from... nevermind)

Deadlift.

streffert

Reaction score
The 3 best lifts for solid growth are bench, deadliest, and squats.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Next on the Discovery Channel: The Deadliest Lift

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For starters, incline chest exercises. These have a huge payoff most guys do not realize. Putting a little extra focus on your upper pecs with incline work is what gives your pecs that square look. Its also creates an the effect where you have dramatic depth at the collarbone. Think of when you see Brad Pitt or somebody in a tank top in a movie (no ****) its not the SIZE of their pecs that makes them look fit, it’s the shape and squared off appearance. In fact, when those actors have to get into shape for a film in a hurry, upper pec work is actually one of the quick fix tricks to up their game.

Basic concept – if you do four exercise for chest in a work out, most guys will relegate upper chest to just one. Instead make it an even split. 2 upper, 2 middle. (lower and middle really kind of go together and don’t need as much individual attention.)

Cross Body hammer curls.
Payoff: Makes your arms look bigger quick.
Idea: Cross body hammer curls develop your bis just as well as any other type of curls, (and keeping them tight to the body develops that softball like roundness similar to regular curls) but they also do a lot to give girth to your forearms.

That is a great illusion. Forearms don’t carry much fat, so any development makes them look bigger and cut. Forearms are noticeable, and they create an impression of strength. Basically a guy with 16 in arms but very well developed forearms comes off as more ripped and muscular than a guy with 18 inch bis but underdeveloped forearms. Two guys with the same arms but one has great forearms is like the fitness equivalent of two guys wearing the same jeans and plain solid T-shirt, but one has noticeably baller status shoes on

What are your "upper" pecs? You can't change the shape of your muscles, that's genetic. You can make your chest bigger or smaller, you can't train your "upper" chest or your "lower" chest.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, studies have shown fish oil to help drop a few (as in, 1 or 2) lbs of fat and gain 1-2 lbs of LBM. So I guess that fits in with this thread.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are your "upper" pecs? You can't change the shape of your muscles, that's genetic. You can make your chest bigger or smaller, you can't train your "upper" chest or your "lower" chest.

Lol

your pecs aren't one muscle, yes you can. I can't remember if its 2 or 3 muscles, but you can target individual ones.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol

your pecs aren't one muscle, yes you can. I can't remember if its 2 or 3 muscles, but you can target individual ones.

Can you show me some pictures of people with huge "upper" pecs and small "lower" pecs, or vise versa?

This is just about the oldest newbie myth in body building. You can't change the shape of your muscles. These differences that you're noticing are entirely due to genetics.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 2 sections of the pectoralis major, clavical and sternal head. They're separate and depending on the incline of your press will work them to different degrees. If you look at the anatomy there are clearly 2 different sections its marsupialed to think the chest is just one big muscle, which works in the same way irregardless of how you use it.

Last edited:

wakkawakka

Reaction score
seemed like the appropiate thread for this question:

My body seems to deposit much of its fat and muscle in my thighs/butt. I also am 6'2" with a skinny torso (medium xtra slim fit in brook brothers) This has made emulating fits (as a style nub learning) difficult, as many of them seem to flatter either an ultra skinny or cutty muscular bodytype.

I just recently started doing chin up and pushups regularly with the hope of developing my upper body to balance out the lower portion.

What additional exercises would you recommend to a nub to bulk out the extra body to make fits better on me?

additionally, what is the best way to tone, tighten, and lose bulk (either muscular or fat) the thighs/butt?

I run and bike alot - I wonder if even if I lose every single bit of fat on my thighs/butt the muscular thighs will still be throwing off the proportions. Thoughts?

thanks!

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deadliest lifts and crossbody hammer curls, obviously

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are 2 sections of the pectoralis major, clavical and sternal head. They're separate and depending on the incline of your press will work them to different degrees. If you look at the anatomy there are clearly 2 different sections its marsupialed to think the chest is just one big muscle, which works in the same way irregardless of how you use it.

So can I see these examples of people with huge "upper" pecs and small "lower" pecs, or vise versa? If you're going to regurgitate myths, you might as well have pictures to illustrate your misconception.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So can I see these examples of people with huge "upper" pecs and small "lower" pecs, or vise versa? If you're going to regurgitate myths, you might as well have pictures to illustrate your misconception.

forgive my ignorance but i am framing fuji's point of view like so: would there be no difference between guy 1 who exclusively did incline benching vs guy two who exclusively did flat or decline benching?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry I don't really keep photos of mens pecs saved to my computer. You'll have to research that yourself. I suppose you think you can't target specifically the rear delt as well because the shoulders are just shoulders and they're only one muscle and they can only grow bigger or smaller to and you can't change the shape of your shoulder because everything is down to genetics.

People take this whole THERE IS NO TONING WE ONLY GET BIGGER OR SMALLER, ARMS DO NOT MATTER THEY ARE TRAINED WITH ROW AND PRESS DRINK MILK AND SQUAT AND ONLY CARE ABOUT STRENGTH BECAUSE IM SO ******* MANLY COMPOUNDS ONLY BODY BUILDERS ARE WEAK FAGGOTS ON STEROIDS UNLIKE WE HONORABLE POWERLIFTERS WITH FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH

stuff too seriously.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry I don't really keep photos of mens pecs saved to my computer. You'll have to research that yourself. I suppose you think you can't target specifically the rear delt as well because the shoulders are just shoulders and they're only one muscle and they can only grow bigger or smaller to and you can't change the shape of your shoulder because everything is down to genetics.

People take this whole THERE IS NO TONING WE ONLY GET BIGGER OR SMALLER, ARMS DO NOT MATTER THEY ARE TRAINED WITH ROW AND PRESS DRINK MILK AND SQUAT AND ONLY CARE ABOUT STRENGTH BECAUSE IM SO ******* MANLY COMPOUNDS ONLY BODY BUILDERS ARE WEAK FAGGOTS ON STEROIDS UNLIKE WE HONORABLE POWERLIFTERS WITH FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH

stuff too seriously.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess your right then. Even though anatomical drawing show 2 clear muscles in the pectorial major you must be right and all those body builders and scientists are wrong. Our bodys are just so simple, we only have 10 muscles in our body biceps, triceps, deltoids, lats, errectors, pecs, traps, quads, hamstrings and abs. Guess theres no point in me doing facepulls at the gym either tomorrow because I've already done rows on Tuesday so thats my entire lat trained anyway.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads