1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

quick! need help with talbott estate shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jul 8, 2006.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

placing my order for an estate shirt from robert talbott (via hansens clothing online)-- i selected the 'sutter' style' (not sure what the difference is between the styles?? help) and i want the collar that doesn't show the stitching near the edges-- is that the "welt stitched collar?" I can't remember my shirting terms at the moment!

i know some of you have experience with the Estate shirts, please let me know what you purchased, opinions, cut, and which model you opted for.

thanks in advance!!

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

The horse's mouth: 800.747.8778

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

phone calls aren't easy for me to make at the moment-- i'm working in the middle east for a while, so there is a frustrating delay [and the inconvenience of time zones]-- can anyone answer my questions here? Mr. Hansen has been very helpful, but I'd like to hear from those who own Estate shirts as well.

thanks!

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

I might be able to speak with them on your behalf. Is Monday soon enough?

5. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

I have ordered a number of Talbott custom shirts, including one Estate shirt, so I might be able to help you out with terminology. The sutter style has a welt stitched collar, where the stitching is 1/4 inch away from the edge of the collar. The alternative is the edge stitched collar, where the stitching is, well, right at the edge of the collar. If you didn't want an edge stitched collar, then you were fine to choose welt stitching. Also, notice that the sutter style has a french front, which means that the placket (the extra strip of fabric sewn down the front of the shirt where the buttons are) is hidden. The look is a cleaner look, and one that I always specify on my custom Talbott shirts. The alternative to this is the placket front, where the placket is visible.

For more information about the cut, please visit this link to a post that I wrote a few weeks back:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...Robert+Talbott

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have further questions. I'm sure you will enjoy your shirt!