1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Questions on John Lobb Models

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by My View2, Mar 31, 2006.

1. My View2

My View2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have pictures of the following John Lobb models:

1) ASHLEY in DARK OAK (a loafer on the 4596 last)
    2) VARESE in DARK OAK (a leather soled single buckle boot)

Thank you

2. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Is that you, TSL?

3. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

Got the Varese in dark oak.

Will try to take a picture and post it here soon.

No Ashley here though, I'm afraid.

4. medwards

medwards Well-Known Member

The Ashley pictured on the John Lobb website which gives several views and a illustration of the various colours in which it comes (though the main image is of it in squirrel calf):

http://www.johnlobb.com/us/swf/index.php

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Just arrived on eBay:
    [​IMG]
    John Lobb "˜Varese'
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Lobb-Vare...QQcmdZViewItem

What about that one? (much nicer):
    [​IMG]
    Edward Green "˜Olney'

I agree with Bengal that the EG Olney on the 888 last is more elegant than the Lobb. Both are quite nice, though.

7. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

I agree with Bengal that the EG Olney on the 888 last is more elegant than the Lobb. Both are quite nice, though.
    I beg to differ. The Olney is just another EG plain toe boot on the 888 last. Yawn! [​IMG] It ain't able to pull off a proper casual look neither. It's a pretender, androgynous, neither fish nor flesh. The JL Varese is rare and it's made on a last that can hardly be found anymore - 7595. It's a GREAT shoe for jeans and it looks FOR REAL.

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I beg to differ.

The Olney is just another EG plain toe boot on the 888 last. Yawn! [​IMG] It ain't able to pull off a proper casual look neither. It's a pretender, androgynous, neither fish nor flesh.

The JL Varese is rare and it's made on a last that can hardly be found anymore - 7595. It's a GREAT shoe for jeans and it looks FOR REAL.

I wouldn't kick either out of bed to keep a theme going...[​IMG]

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

The JL Varese is rare and it's made on a last that can hardly be found anymore - 7595. It's a GREAT shoe for jeans and it looks FOR REAL.
    It's not the last. It's the strap, right slap-bang in the middle, cutting through the sweep of the quarters. To me it looks like the band around some Havana or a cummerbund around a fat man's waist. Alden has an equally earth-bound and pedestrian boot in their collection:
    [​IMG]

But the strap at the EG takes the model off the ground and gives the shoe a sweep Signor Boccioni might have envied:
    [​IMG]
    Umberto Boccioni Unique Forms of Continuity in Space

Pretentious? Moi???[​IMG]

10. sysdoc

sysdoc Well-Known Member

It’s not the last. It’s the strap, right slap-bang in the middle, cutting through the sweep of the quarters. To me it looks like the band around some Havana or a cummerbund around a fat man’s waist. Alden has an equally earth-bound and pedestrian boot in their collection: [​IMG] But the strap at the EG takes the model off the ground and gives the shoe a sweep Signor Boccioni might have envied: [​IMG] Umberto Boccioni Unique Forms of Continuity in Space Pretentious? Moi???[​IMG]
    Well, bengal, there you have it - I always tended towards what we recently learned to be "peasant shoes".[​IMG]
    Sounds lovely to me. [​IMG] Brings to mind a Partagas Presidente, Salomones or Diadema, though the latter usually don't come with the bands.