1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Question re: RRL (Double RL) Jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by embowafa, Jun 25, 2008.

1. To Sir with Love

To Sir with Love Well-Known Member

What effect did the dry cleaning have on the jeans? Did the process remove much of the indigo?

2. To Sir with Love

And thanks for posting those pics Whodini. I hope my RRLs look like that in about a year or so.

3. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

I"m now in my 4th month of RRL ownership (slim fit, indigo). Fantastic jeans. I've only washed them once, no fading that I could notice (cold water, delicate cycle, tumbled low to dry because I was too lazy to hang dry them). Heavy denim, slight "wear" fades on some belt loops and around my wallet and key points. Near daily wear (maybe a total of 2 weeks of non-wearing)

At ~$250, I'm still not so sure these are that much better than a pair of $150 crates/apcs, but I'm not bitching.

I do not like the pocket stitching, though, but I really don't feel like trying to pick it out.

4. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

what? RRL raw jeans retail for $210 and the slim fit does not have pocket stitching.
    I'll get the exact name when I get home (not going to strip down to my undies at work). And yes, ~$250 after taxes.. I think they were $225. Got em at the RRL store on Melrose. Just went to the can and checked. Cut #20512, Low Straight Leg Rinse So, not slim, straight, which is cut slimmish, I suppose. (slimmer than my 514s but not as much as my Nudie Slim Jims). Sorry for any confusion. These are about as slim as I want to go, really.

5. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Low Straight is my favorite cut and it feels similar to my slimfit. When I go RRL again, that's definitely what I'll go to.

6. whodini

Also, rinse wash will take longer to fade for obvious reasons and you won't get nearly as much contrast as opposed to the rigid pair.
    I don't know about that... That's like saying a non-washed sanforized pair is going to fade faster than one-washed STF pair.

And what soaking them in water has to do with the amount of contrast is beyond me.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Where in chicago could I try on the low straights?

How much lower are they? the straights I have are a little higher than I would like but I don't want to go too low

8. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

The main reason people think raw fades faster than one washed or rinsed denim is because the starch does help in setting creases and making those creases fade a little faster. I tend to think the starch aids in this a bit but I think a lot of people are misled into thinking that you can't get great fades on denim that has been one washed, rinsed, or even washed.

9. nate10184

nate10184 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of straight legs but I'm also not sure if they are rigid or rinsed (checked everywhere inside and don't see it). I think mine are fairly old because they had the medallion on the coin pocket instead of the "RRL".

How much should I expect these to shrink lengthwise after the first wash? They are already a little short for my tastes so I've been afraid to wash them.

10. whodini

Where in chicago could I try on the low straights? How much lower are they? the straights I have are a little higher than I would like but I don't want to go too low
    RRL doesn't have a store in Chicago and I don't know any of the big boutiques (Hejfina, Jake) that carry them. Rough estimate, the Low Straights felt like a 10~" rise based on the 32 I tried on which was exactly what I liked.
    The main reason people think raw fades faster than one washed or rinsed denim is because the starch does help in setting creases and making those creases fade a little faster.
    FWIW, those older gen RRLs are the softest SF-brand jeans I've ever seen. Even notoriously-soft rag&bone jeans feel crisp in comparison.
    I have a pair of straight legs but I'm also not sure if they are rigid or rinsed (checked everywhere inside and don't see it). I think mine are fairly old because they had the medallion on the coin pocket instead of the "RRL". How much should I expect these to shrink lengthwise after the first wash? They are already a little short for my tastes so I've been afraid to wash them.
    It can be hard to tell without looking up the model number if you're unfamiliar with the feel of rigid vs. rinsed jeans. Shrinkage in the inseam is minimal. Even if you're afraid you should know you can always stand on the hems and stretch them back out while they're still damp.

11. To Sir with Love

12. whodini

if you wash all the starch out it's going to be extremely hard to fade soft denim and once you do there will be little contrast in any of the creases.
    Just like the case of my RRLs. Oh wait...
    sanforized raw will fade faster than one wash stf because they apply the starch after they sanforized the denim. soaking does little to disturb the indigo or starch but a rinse cycle does a lot.
    That's assuming that all brands put the same amount of starch in their jeans, whether STF or sanforized; that's a fallacy. Take a look at post-soak pics of Japanese STF repros and see how they STAND UP BY THEMSELVES. Clearly, they've held on to more than enough starch after the wash. Compare that to sanforized jeans like 5EP or a lot of what Cone puts out (Crate, rag&bone, etc.) and the Japanese repros look like they're made of solid steel.
    Just look at rinsed jeans, there is a lot of roping and distress around the rivets. It's obvious one wash puts the jeans through a lot and will take off a shade of indigo, making less potential for contrast.
    Do you mind if I ask if this is coming from personal experience or from reading other posts? Also, are you confusing "one-wash" with "rinsed?" Usually when people say "one-wash" they are talking about a pair of jeans that were unsanforized and then soaked in water.

The visual difference of RRL's rinsed vs. raw is noticeable but I don't buy the "less potential for contrast" one bit. Assuming you wash and wear the two pairs the exact same way, at the end of a year or more they're going to be looking nearly identical. Take the 5EPxSFs, for example. While they were sanforized many still went ahead and gave an initial soak. When you take a look at the evolution pictures they all look about the same with the only real difference being the amount of wear put in to each pair. Hell, some people even washed theirs more than others but they still looked about the same.

13. whodini

since when does 'one wash' mean 'soaked'. one wash = rinsed or washed once in the machine.
    Since... a while. Blue in Green is an example off the top of my head who uses "one-wash" to mean a pair of unsanforized jeans soaked in water. Link.
    yeah I am aware that stf can stand up on their own because they are action packed with starch but we were talking about rinsed vs rigid rrls.
    Even the rigid RRLs aren't super starched compared to other brands. You were the one who said, "sanforized raw will fade faster than one wash stf because they apply the starch after they sanforized the denim" so I corrected you.
    I bought my friend a pair of rinsed RRLs off ebay and ironed and starched the hell out of them because I'm sure that will give them better fades.
    I thought you wore yours for 8 months before their first wash. So what are you talking about..?

I was disproving your point that jeans that are heavily starched have better fades and somehow more contrast. It's internet hype started as a misunderstanding. Those older gen "rigid" RRLs were as soft at the beginning as the rinse models are today and yet they still came out beautifully. In fact, I believe your words were, "fucking awesome."

14. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

rigid rrls around 3 months

[shitty picture removed]

well whatever you can argue about it but there is a reason to wash/soak as little as possible. Each soak/wash takes out two crucial ingredients, indigo and starch, however little and will diminish their ability to have higher contrast fading with each application of water.

Does it matter, depends on the wearer, to me not really since I prefer vintage fades myself.

3 months in and you're already preaching others on denim? [​IMG]

Here is an example of a "˜holy grail' denim Sugar Cane 1947 from Grand Master Ryu that was washed every month for a year

[​IMG]

More incredible stuff (Ryu has owned and faded hard dozens of jeans, all w/ regular washing) here:

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/denim.htm

15. whacked

btw those fades would have had more contrast fading if he didn't wash them frequently, why would anyone argue about this..? I guess I forgot I'm not on Sufu.

Right. Feel free to look up pictures of nicer looking Canes that have been worn for the same amount, on SuFu or here. Good luck.

I posted about Ryu because you're making, at least to my eyes and several others, a generic statement. Also, Ryu have managed to create great fades on a dozen of different jeans from different makes, some of which aren't "designed for contrast".

In any case, you won't see much contrast in ANY 4-months jeans (unless they're pre-distressed, of course [​IMG]). Exaggeration much?

16. whacked

most of this stuff looks bad and horribly washed out. kids this is why you shouldn't wash every day

Have you considered those jeans might not be "designed for contrast".

In any case, I bet these still look better than your jeans. Oh wait, you haven't posted pic of yours yet. [​IMG]

17. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

you reek of teenager

18. whodini

btw, RRL mens jeans have ALWAYS been stiff. The only 'soft' rrl raw jeans were the 'womens' models which weren't starched for added comfort. Which doesn't surprise me that half the guys wearing rrl jeans here own and resell womens models because they don't know anything and I feel sorry for the guys buying it up who are clueless as well.
    Ok, I've had enough of this.

You're talking out of your ass, pure and simple. The denim RRL used in the past is completely different from what is used today, not only in the amount of starch used but in the type of indigo blend as well as the cotton being hairy as opposed to flat today. The slimfit, the pair you see photographed, is a mens model. Not only can I attest to these facts but so can a few other members on this forum who own pairs and, more importantly, Godmother, ex-RRL denim designer.

Fine, you bought a pair of RRL's a couple of months ago. Cute. Don't continue to make shit up without looking a bit more in your story first.

19. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've had enough of this.

You're talking out of your ass, pure and simple. The denim RRL used in the past is completely different from what is used today, not only in the amount of starch used but in the type of indigo blend as well as the cotton being hairy as opposed to flat today. The slimfit, the pair you see photographed, is a mens model. Not only can I attest to these facts but so can a few other members on this forum who own pairs and, more importantly, Godmother, ex-RRL denim designer.

Fine, you bought a pair of RRL's a couple of months ago. Cute. Don't continue to make shit up without looking a bit more in your story first.

Albert, I am surprised you are even wasting your time arguing with this kid, he just doesn't know and will never know...

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

that just makes it more sad?