1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Question about Prada styling

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gamelan, Dec 7, 2004.

1. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....83&rd=1 why are the sleeves so long relative to the overall length of the jacket? a 29 vs 25.5 seems out of proportion on a traditional sport coat. so is this more of a Prada styling thing? or is this not considered a sport coat? also, are Prada jackets supposed to be more of a snug fit? the 50R Italian size would normally translate to a 40R American size. but based on the 41 measured chest according to the seller, it would be too small on my 39. arrgh...someone put me out of my misery and buy this thing already... -Jeff

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous. All of the trendy designers do it and I have absolutely no idea why. The trendy look, I suppose, is to have the sleeve come to about the end of your palm. Check out D&G - same thing. I have seen 36-38 inch chest and 27 inch sleeves. Either these suits are actually purchased by orangutans, or the compnaies have some very strange notions about what looks good. for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....73&rd=1 Edit: I actually think it's most prevalent with leather jackets, where I guess the goal is actually to have the sleeve cover your hand completely [​IMG] See, e.g. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....08&rd=1

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I actually like to have longer sleeves on my sportocoats / suits. I like to show barely any cuff at all. I think it looks good, if you show too much cuff it looks like you are outgrowing your jacket.

4. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Well, the sleeves are a bit long, and the jacket is very short - 29.5" top-to-bottom means 28" from the bottom of the collar. That's a full 1.5" shorter than a lot of shorts.

5. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Maybe Im missing something - cant you just take the coat to a tailor and get the sleeves shortened? The only reason you couldnt is if it had functioning buttonholes already cut, and I didnt see that in the auction. I can see stitching around the button holes, but that should be removable if the holes arent actually cut. Alot of coats have those these days, stitched, but fake buttonholes.

6. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

That's unusual for a Prada jacket. Most of them in my experience are about 29.5 inches long, bottom of collar to bottom of jacket. Oh, and Prada jackets are generally boxier, and deliberately so, like '60s mod clothing. Their pants are slim, however.

A lot of designers have been pushing shorter jackets for "regular" length designs, leaving the sleeves longer in proportion than usual. Being on the shorter side, I don't mind this--I can always get the sleeves shortened, and there's more clothing I can wear.

(And I like showing cuff, for the classical reasons. Plus, it adds visual interest.)

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Nope, doesn't work. It's the stupidest thing in the world, and I went on a rant about this recently. I have tried it on a Zegna, to much disappointment. This stitching, which is so in vogue right now, cannot be removed without leaving visibily noticeable marks where it once was. I think the entire practice is extremely stupid, and it makes me look like this: [​IMG] Either sew buttons on or, if the sleeves are vented, leave them unfinished. But quit this ridiculous pretense that actually affects your customers' chance of getting a suit that actually fits properly.

8. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats really silly. Hadnt realized those stitches would leave a mark.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Ah, no. It looks good when just a bit of cuff shows...if not it looks like the sleeves are too long.

Jon.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

(Brian SD @ 07 Dec. 2004, 02:28) I actually like to have longer sleeves on my sportocoats / suits. I like to show barely any cuff at all. I think it looks good, if you show too much cuff it looks like you are outgrowing your jacket.
    Ah, no. It looks good when just a bit of cuff shows...if not it looks like the sleeves are too long. Jon.
    I agree, and so would almost everyone on the forum. But, I mean, on the what-would-you-wear-if-you-had-unlimited-money thread, he said Dior and D&G... If that's his style, that's his style.

11. j

j Well-Known Member

Where's this rant? I missed it. I was sure this could be removed with no problems. If not, WTF are they doing putting it on?

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Yes, it's a styling thing. Prada jackets usually have unusually short skirts (the arms are about the same length) and exaggeration of the Milanese style. A mod sort of thing.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Are you sure you cant remove the fake buttonholes? I took my suit to my tailor a couple weeks ago, he took the fake buttonholes off, shortened the sleeves, put the stitching back on, and put the buttons on it, and it looks brand new... no "scars" from the stitching. For clarification on "my style," I would still get those shortened. I just like show maybe 1/8" cuff, as opposed to 1/2".

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I have only tried moving the buttons like this with Zegna, so I don't know about other brands. The Zegna had the overlapping buttons, as you know. The stitching left discolored marks on the fabric - in other words, where the stitching was, the fabric was noticeably lighter.

15. TomW

TomW Well-Known Member

I have a closet full on Zegna sport coats and suits - all of them needed the sleeves shortened - none (after steaming) have any indication of where the fake button holes once were. To have the fabric be lighter under the stitching is very strange... darker I could understand as the fabric may have been lightened by exposure to sunlight, etc...

16. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

well, the problem is that on a normal sport coatlazer i'm a 25.5 sleeve length so i wouldn't want to shorten the sleeves anyway. i'm just wondering if the jacket will look too short since i usually wear a 32.5/33 length jacket. and no one's commented on the jacket itself. like? dislike? too much for NWT Prada on eBay? actually what i'm really looking for is for someone to convince me not to buy it. [​IMG] -Jeff

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I usually wear a 40R jacket, and have a true 39-40 inch chest. I've tried on that exact jacket. Like most 50R (EU) Prada jackets, it fit me sort of snugly in the shoulders and chest, but in general, felt alright. It is a casual coat though, as befits the material, and will be roomier around the waist than a more tailored piece.

18. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

If you're not much above 6'1", maybe 6'2", you'll be fine.

It's not bad-looking, and if I were fiscally irresponsible, I might bid on it. It's a decent price, but no steal (I've seen Prada sportjackets at Filene's for $299).