1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Quality Of Grenson Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Well-Known Member

My last foray into Grenson was buying a pair of old Rose line brogues. They went back because the last didn't fit me and there was a huge indent in the toecap. This was at the point that Grenson was heading towards the toilet bowl, the Rose line discontinued soon after. I saw a pair of Bleasdale boots (an old Rose line boot) in the Natural Shoe Store in London and immediately noticed that they had cheaped out on the the brass eyelets and other things. My basic rule of thumb is that if they have decided to go downhill I won't go near them. The same thing happened with Alfred Sargent before they nearly went bust. Retailers told me not to buy Sargent because the quality had gone downhill. Their top-end stuff might be ok, I don't know. Tricker's are going the same way - they don't use Horween cordovan, and the leather they use is the same stuff that other makers use (I am sure the acorn calf is the same as Sargent's acorn calf as was their zug grain). Really overpriced.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

I don't know what those terms mean but I do know that Grenson used Freudenberg calf (produced by Kegar) on at least some of its Masterpieces, as I own two such pairs. I hope that helps.

3. MarkyB

MarkyB Active Member

That's harsh. The quality may've gone down but it's certainly better than any department store shoe. I have a pair of 'made in india' grensons and although they are not my nicest shoe, they are still very comfortable and I get a lot of compliments because the toe can take a shine like no other.

I'd buy more at the right price ;)

4. typericey

typericey Well-Known Member

Sharing my newly acquired Grenson Triple Welts. Worn them only a couple of times so far and really enjoying them. :)

This thread is on Classic Menswear but the photos below would probably belong in the Streetwear & Denim section. I just didn't want to start a new thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Carl1955

Carl1955 Well-Known Member

6. Carl1955

7. typericey

typericey Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting a great deal. Unfortunately, Grenson's sale is only available in the UK. Cannot purchase if outside the UK. Even the US Grenson website are showing regular prices. No fair!

8. Carl1955

Hi typericey

Grenson UK offer World Wide delivery via UPS.

Cheers

Carl.

9. Topsham15

Topsham15 New Member

Bought a pair of Grenson Ryan C boots a couple of months ago new from an ebay re seller. Really disappointed, poor quality leather, terrible finishing, the boots seemed to have been constructed then colored afterwards leaving visible undyed leather at some seams, leather feels like very thin cardboard.

I own several pairs of Grensons, some i've had for over 10 years and are beautiful, i don't think these will last the season, deeply disappointed that such an iconic brand could produce such a shoddy product.

Matt

1 person likes this.
  10. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Well-Known Member

Edit

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  11. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  12. Schweino

Schweino Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with resoling Grenson G-zero / Masterpiece shoes by Grenson themselves? Will they be resoled with the same quality sole with hidden channels?
    Also, will they just do a standard resole, or also replace the welt and inner sock, laces etc?

13. rakuskus

rakuskus Member

My Grenson quality review

1. G2 collection (made in India)

a. Sid in burgundy (bought in 2014 RRP 210 GBP)
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea that this shoes is made in India when I purchase this shoes, Grenson always advertise as an English shoemaker hence I assume that all of their shoes is made in the UK. After reading their website, I found out differently. They carry the storm-welt GWC and a leather sole.

Quality, (Judging from the Value)
    Not good.

( - )

I can tolerate polished binder leather quality, however, this is below average. It scratch very easily and loose colour. The leather is stiff so the shoes will not hold it shape despite using shoe trees. After 1 year, the reinforced cap toe crack in to two.

( + )

Sole leather is very durable, after 2 years it has not worn out. Very neat shoe-making, cannot find any sloppy job anywhere. Beside the leather quality issues, the shoes does have the same quality to shoes that are made in UK in the same price range. The leather does not crack. Have metal eyelets. Full leather insole.

Sizing,
    I would advice to take half size down. Very roomy, suitable for wide and flat feet.

b. Grenson Allen (bought in 2014 RRP 230 GBP)

[​IMG]

Very Good

( - )

Can't find any (Maybe the fact that the shoes is made in India if you are searching for shoes from English shoemakers that made their shoes in the UK)

( + )

The leather is superb! This one have full grain leather, I wear this shoes many many times. The leather turns very soft and smooth, no crack. Please note I do take care of my shoes with condition cream etc. It carry the XL sole, not sure what it is made from. My sole just does not worn out and can be easily clean with just toothbrush and hand-soap. Again, very very neat shoemaking! They carry the storm-welted GWC.

Sizing,
    Take your normal size, this one is in the F fitting and it is not generous.

2. G-Lab collection (made in UK)

Grenson X Heritage Research (bought in 2014 RRP 350 GBP)

[​IMG]

From all of the shoes I own, this pair I wear the most. The shoes is made in the UK. From what I've read from the Grenson website. This particular shoes are not made in the Grenson factory in Rushden, Northampton. They say it is made by their seasonal worker in England (I can't find the original link to the article). Normally Grenson shoes insoles are written with "made in the grenson factory etc...". However, this shoes insole just say Heritage Research, it does say made in England on the side of the lining.

Good

( - )

Leather is just OK and could be better. Perhaps, has the same characteristic with Barker shoes which is around 100 GBP cheaper.

( + )

First of all, the crepe sole quality is beyond great. Its holds very very well, better from Clark's original boots.
    The leather is OK, not great but just good, no crack. Again, very neat shoe-making. It carry the storm-welted GWC.

Sizing,
    Go half size or full size down. Even wider from Grenson Sid (G2 collection) I own.

3. Grenson Triple-Welt colletction (Made in UK)

Despite the name, the shoe only have 2 welts stack. This for me is the signature style from the Grenson house. Rugged country footwear.

Grenson Archie triple welt (bought in 2015 RRP 395 GBP) and Grenson Curt triple welt (Bought in 2015 RRP 405 GBP)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both shoes have scotch grain leather and made in the Grenson's factory in Rushden, Northampton, UK.

Good

( - )

Hard to break in. Leather quality could be better. If you compare to Cheaney signature scotch grain leather, Cheaney is definitely smoother and feel just "more". Moderately heavy.

( + )

Love the style! the perfect combination of classic footwear and rugged country shoes. Again, very neat shoe making. You can definitely tell the shoes is rugged when you hold them. The sole is thicker than a normal GWC shoes. No cracks. After tons of wear, the leather become super soft.

Sizing,
    Go half size or full size down. Even wider from Grenson Sid (G2 collection) I own.

Well...

Some of their shoes is made in India
    At first, I feel cheated from buying an Indian made shoes by an English shoemaker thinking their shoes will be made in England (the shoes does not say where it is made, it only say made in India from the Grenson website). It is not the quality that I'm concern. A quality shoes can come from anywhere around the world. However, the think is, I've always love a product that have story and heritage behind it, and the fact that Grenson shoes is an English shoemaker founded 150 years ago catches my attention. Therefore, I was very disappointed when I found out the 2 pairs of shoes I bought is made in India.

Despite all that, I started to like the brand as they offer very good quality and the best fit for my feet and the best shoe last to suit my style.

I would recommend you to buy their triple welt collection. However, I would not recommend their shoes with polished binder leather.

Grenson is my favourite shoemaker.

3 out of 5 star for quality but 5 out of 5 star for style and fit!

note: this is a personal experience review. I do not want to harm any brand.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  14. brent84

brent84 New Member

Recently purchased a pair of Grenson penny loafers and they look great, but i am disappointed. More than a few scratches and scruff marks after first wear, which i find strange seeing all i was doing was walking down city streets and sitting in a restaurant. The stitching does not seem fantastic either. I actually thought i was buying something made in England until i peaked into the shoe and saw a made in India tag, very disappointed. I bit of a rip of for $300 reduced from $400 AUS. I am assuming the leather is of low quality as my much cheaper dress shoes never scruff and scratch like these.

15. Jimmy Balantyne

Jimmy Balantyne Well-Known Member

Many, many moons ago Grenson was a real quality shoe. It's sad to see what's become of the brand but the transition into fashion's obviously made them a lot of money.

16. atia2

atia2 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Here are some proper loafers from the old Masterpiece range, made in Freudenberg calf.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, the factory will still refurbish these old shoes, so the expertise is still there.

17. Percy Trimmer

Percy Trimmer Well-Known Member

18. Jimmy Balantyne

Jimmy Balantyne Well-Known Member