1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Quality Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cest_vrai, Dec 2, 2004.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

When you first get them, they fit like steel, since they are are unwashed, rigid denim. Real die-hards wear them in a couple of month before (if ever) washing them. They really develop, um, "character", i.e. natural whiskering, wash, etc. They are a pretty reasonable weight denim, about 12.5 ounces, I would say, and pretty durable, though some pairs I've gotten are a little "brittle" to the touch. Quality control in general seems to be very good though.

Unfortunately, can't really help you on the fit of the Unisex jean. I wear the Anglaise cut, which wear a little lower and baggier. I've only tried on the unisex jean a couple of times, and they are definitely higher rise than say, the I find them reasonably true to size, slim, but not Helmut Lang slim. As for fit, do you have a pair of old kulters? They fit sort of like that, except that the waist is slightly lower, and they are not as tapered. Be warned though. Apparently, A.P.C. has changed their cuts for the first time in years this year, and my advice may be moot and void. Their return policy is pretty good, so you can experiment a bit. Also, Barneys in LA carries APC (and KBond does too, to my recollection), so if you are up there, you might want to pay them a visit.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give them a try.

3. Josh

Josh Member

(Brian SD @ 02 Dec. 2004, 8:48) http://volls.de/shop/index.html sells Nudie jeans (I think they ship worldwide).
    Daaaaamn, with the exchange rate, those prices are nuts. I feel especially sorry for anyone who has to rely on that site for Sevens or Rogans. For those in the U.S. seeking less common jeans like Nudie, try calling big-city streetwear stories like Atrium in NYC and seeing if they'll ship. The Regular Ralf jeans are about $180 there.
    Know any other stores besides atrium that have nudie jeans?

4. LA Guy

Traffic LA does, but the prices are outrageous ($240 for Bottleg Olas). I would just buy off some European website, seriously.

5. big balla

big balla Active Member

6. EastDevil

EastDevil Member

What about Dolce and Gabbana? They seems to be more expensive than most others. What's so big deal about their jeans?

7. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Richard James makes some of the best jeans. but they are insanely expensive. They're made of Japanese denim, no fake wearing or whiskering, and wonderful to wear.

8. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

Get this if want something more distinctive. The quality is top-notch also. [​IMG]

9. @riss

@riss Well-Known Member

LA Guy, i have a pair of A.P.C.'s that I had been wearing-in faithfully since june until about 2 weeks ago when i spilled pasta sauce or something on them and really had to wash them. first of all, i was in love with the way they were aging until that point. now, i don't know where i went wrong (i think i never should have put them in the dryer) but things are not quite the same post wash. i'm not sure if they will continue to age the way they had been or if i just need to suck it up and try again with a new pair. any advice/insight?

also, if you go into the store in soho, there's a dude who works there who's been wearing his jeans continuously for several years w/out washing them and they have become soft and beautiful. is that what you have to do?

10. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think RJ jeans are that special. And worse, the smallest waist size they make is 32 (As of October 2004)... what are they thinking? I wear a 30, and I felt like I was swimming in the 32's (they run rather big).

I go to RJ for their socks, ties, belts, and cufflinks. These are great. The rest I don't care much about.

11. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Well-Known Member

What are these? Dan

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

That is a very long time to be wearing jeans without washing them (6 months+). Eventually you have to do it, of course the denim will not be nearly as dark, but to wear unwashed jeans for years without washing them is just disgusting. You can also wash them in cold water w/o soap to get some of the gross stuff off (or spot clean with water). The detergent takes out most of the dye. If that guy in the boutique is really wearing them for years without washing, you better have washed your hands if you wanted to feel how soft his jeans were, because they must be so saturated with dried sweat and dead skin, it's grotesque.

Personally, I think jeans look best when you wear them in so that there is a large contrast between the dark and the light, then start to wash them twice a week to really beat them up. That's my plan with these A.P.C.'s. I like the vintage look, and if you look at old pairs of Levi's, none of them retained the original indigo color in any part of the jean.

13. benchan

benchan Well-Known Member

amirrorcrackd:

Those Jeans are made in Japan by the same company that produces Evisus. THey are cheaper though as the brand is less well known.

14. LA Guy

@riss,

You aren't going to get the same aging effect again. Personally, I like my (APC) jeans to look faded and beat up, but not smell/feel ripe, so I wear them 2 weeks to a month without washing (but not everyday, about 2 to 3 times a week,) and then handwash and hand dry them with no detergent for the next little while. You can use a tiny bit of mild detergent if you feel like it. Some denimheads never wash their jeans. But I personally love the crisp feel of fresh jeans, so...

Lastly, never, ever, machine dry your jeans. It'll change their character completely.

Good luck

15. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I realize this is an older post. But, I was wondering if LAGuy (or BrianSD, if you've ordered a pair) knew if the APC Anglais ran true to size? I was thinking of ordering a pair. I'm a 32/32. (32 in Sevens). And is the back pocket plain (no design). Thanks.

16. LA Guy

Yes, and yes.

They are very cool, very basic, jeans.

17. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Excellent. Thanks.